GreaseSpot Cafe

The Wave and The Nod

socks

The Wave, the Nod and now, the Fingers. :biglaugh: Double Digits!

I'm glad this topic resonated with so many. Thanks for all your responses, they've been great to read and digest.

That movie "Pay It Forward" - great example. The idea of doing something big, small, something that has an immediate positive effect on someone. It's an honor system on the road.

Will it mean the favor is ever returned - to anyone? We never know, but one of the things that strikes me about it is that it might be the only way to generate that kind of forward activity. No one's made to do it. Sometimes we can't do it. Other times it would be ill-advised to do it. But under some circumstances it's the only way traffic can move along at any reasonable pace - there has to be cooperation and this kind isusually without even an exchange of words.

If we have to fight our way, tooth and nail, is our capacity to think and act beyond that stimulated? When one good act is performed, does it encourage another and another?

We seem to be saying it does. That's cool.

Yes it does seem to say that. If we're not clawing our way through traffic not only are we not distracted and angry, but we remain balanced for the entire day.

When I come to a strange intersection or that difficult left turn at a light that is just 3 seconds too short, that wave and not make me feel special! Somebody thought kindly of me...and that seems like a blessing which carries me a long way through my day.

I've found this works in supermarkets too.

I've found this works in supermarkets too.

A Supermarket parking lot Krysilis? I can see that, which made me think of 'lines'~

If I notice someone in a 'big hurry' holding a couple items, looking irritated that they can't find a 'short enough' line, or an elderly person/couple, or a mom w/ little 'we've been here far too long and I'm now irritated, hungry, tired & have to go to the bathroom again, and why can’t I have that candy right there' kids in a standing line that would greatly benefit from checking out faster than everyone else, I'll offer them to cut in front of me! (I've also help unload a few of those carts, held a baby or distracted one of the 'irritated' kids with some animated motions & sounds, just to help~)

Of course if there are 'others' behind me & in front of them, I'll just say to everyone, with a smile of course, 'you don't mind, do you?’ and they always seem to agree. ;)

Acts like this "soften" the atmosphere. People in the line will start talking to me, usually about themselves, opening up about things I wouldn't have imagined! Try it ! Have some fun! Besides, what's the big hurry~ :dance:

Does my 'Michiganderness' show? :biglaugh:

Not Quite Sara. Inside the supermarket where we often have to jostle our baskets in spaces too small to fit more than a case of peas! And even at the checkout.

More than once, I've been standing on a long line with basket with just a few items in it,and along comes another checker to open a new register. She will wave me to her and the person behind me has at least one overflowing basket. I'm so close to the checker in my lane, that it really doesn't matter so I offer the spot to the person with the packed basket and she passes! But it changes the mood in that area.

One nice gesture seems to brighten everybody's day no matter where you get the opportunity to pull it off....driving along the highway, inside a supermarket, or any other place. It's contagious. People crave a little bit of kindness done to them...and when they get some, they multiply it by passing it on to at least 1, and maybe 2 other people. Kinda cool to watch, actually.

I'm always happy to let someone slip into the flow of traffic, as long as they haven't just passed a line of cars stuck in gridlock for 30 minutes, trying to cut in line. That is rude to everyone who's been waiting so long.

Exsie, I so relate to the idea of going off the road waving your thanks. Hahahahahahahahaha....I always make sure they see my wave of gratitude. Kindness must be encouraged whenever it's encountered!!

I feel the same way about smiling at strangers. I like to look people in the eyes and just give them a warm smile. Most times, they can't help but smile back, and we share a mini moment of human connection and warmth. I like that a lot. I think being on the receiving end of a smile can perk up an otherwise crummy day.

Drag race from the stoplight.

A long while ago I read a story about a successful dad (driving a nice car like a BMW or something) respond to his son who asked him why he let a guy in a ratty old car beat him away from the stop light, and the successful dad said, "It might make his day. He could feel a little more like a winner. Maybe feel better about his car. Son, most people have a tough time in life and anything I can do to make it easier for them, I do."

I thought that was pretty a good deal.

I guess it's not such a big thing any more, but when I was younger (much) and had some pretty snazzy cars along the way, I would pretty much always let the kid or the man with his young son in a not so classy car speed on ahead of me.

To get an idea of my change in cars since my more racier days, the last time Holy Spirit and I had a talk about my traffic tickets, He said "No more tickets." And what I have now is the best way he could ensure such a thing. I recently had a cement truck let me "dart" in front of him and that really made my day.

It is hard for me nowadays to earn a speeding ticket in a school zone. When I told Holy Spirit for my next car I wanted a Humvee, He said, "that will pretty much guarantee you'll keep this one."

But this is what this thread reminded me of: How nice it is to be able to do nice things for people on the roadways of life.