GreaseSpot Cafe

THE CLOCK IS TICKING

copenhagen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolshevik, that's absolutely correct. I remember Craig used to teach that it's not available to "stand on your own". Nonsense. He just used that line to subliminally convince others that they can't stand for God and leave TWI. "Who will I fellowship with? After all no one knows the truth like we do".

I continue to seek God because I want to. I don't need Craig barking in my ear to tell me to want to know God. I want to know him. For the people who dropped off on pursuing God after leaving the Way, well, how much did they really want to know God anyway?

Lone Wolf MCQuade

I agree. But, at the same time, I think there is room for yet a third category, those who were "once bitten twice shy".

I think this is where the concept of "spiritual rape" enters the mix. These are people who really want a relationship with God but are conditioned to avoid it based on previously unpleasant experiences.

Just my opinion ----- I could be wrong.

I agree. But, at the same time, I think there is room for yet a third category, those who were "once bitten twice shy".

I think this is where the concept of "spiritual rape" enters the mix. These are people who really want a relationship with God but are conditioned to avoid it based on previously unpleasant experiences.

Just my opinion ----- I could be wrong.

I think there's an article on this site about the Shepard seeking the lost sheep. There is some duty in seeking people who need to hear "Good News"

I think there's an article on this site about the Shepard seeking the lost sheep. There is some duty in seeking people who need to hear "Good News"

:offtopic: (or is it?)

I dig the Bradbury quote at the end of your post.

That is one of the few movies I thought surpassed the impact of the book.(And I used to read LOTS of Ray B.)

The parallel (of the story to TWI) is so uncanny it boggles the mind.

To those who have not seen it-----------RENT THE MOVIE!!!

Perhaps TWI will suffer the same fate as the Shakers...now only known for a style of furniture. RR now only has to adapt their doctrine of celibacy as present truth.

From essortment.com/thereligionoftheshakers.

After 1860 membership in the sect began to decline. By 1874, their numbers had fallen from the high of 6,000 twenty years earlier to a mere 2,400. By the mid-1890’s, only about 1,000 Shakers were left in the Shaker villages. After 1964, no new members were accepted into the sect, and by the 1980’s, only a few aged sisters remained at the Sabbath Day Lake community in Maine.

One obvious reason for the sect’s decline is that unlike other Utopian communities, it was not marriage-based, and thus did not renew its numbers with children born into families. Because Shakers were celibate, their communities could grow only by constantly bringing in new converts, but as the nineteenth century progressed, new converts were harder to come by.

The insular, communal Shaker way of life, and its rigorous spiritual discipline--including unquestioning submission to authority, celibacy, and strenuous manual labor--did not appeal as much to an American people so strongly influenced by the individualistic values of the late nineteenth century and by the promise of material comfort and reduced labor not only for the upper class, but for the common man as well.

Although Shakerism was one of the nineteenth century’s most successful experiments in religious communal living, it has subsided into a memory of idealistic devotion. Once thriving Shaker villages are now only museums, and the well-built, practical furnishings they were famous for are collectors items and museum pieces.

Edited by Calflor

This may just be me being a little paranoid, but...

The last few years have been quiet. The lawsuits have died down, and membership has dropped. But it looks like the bleeding has stopped, and they've stabilized.

Within the next 5 years, they'll bring in a firebrand. Someone to rally the troops, so to speak. LCM did have the ability to do that, that's one I won't deny. And this person, probably male, will come in and raise a ruckus, and membership will start climbing again.

They're just waiting a few more years. Maybe 2010 or so.

The one and only (thankfully)...

Attack Gypsy

I just don't think its dead. Things like this have a habit of rising from the grave.

"Sex scandal? Oh, that was a decade ago. Completely new leadership now. Come and see how we've changed!"

Sorry, not buying the "TWI is dead" thing. Not until I see New Knoxville site with a "for sale" sign on it.