GreaseSpot Cafe

tom cruise - detox program for 9/11 workers

excathedra

Tom Cruise sets fundraiser for Scientology 9/11 project

Actor lends his support to controversial effort aimed at rescue workers.

By a Times Staff Writer

April 6, 2007

Tom Cruise may be charging back into controversy.

The New York Post is reporting that the superstar is set to host a fund-raising gala for a Scientology-backed "detox" project for 9/11 workers.

The project has been hotly debated, with some saying it has helped firefighters, law enforcement and others who were exposed to untold chemicals in the air when the Twin Towers were struck by hijacked airplanes, engulfed in flames, and ultimately collapsed. But others have ridiculed the work of the downtown Manhattan clinic as just so much mumbo jumbo, and say it could ultimately hurt those who have suffered from breathing problems, inexplicable rashes and other symptoms in the wake of their service at Ground Zero.

Tickets for the April 19 fund-raiser benefit the New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Project, and cost as much as $100,000 per table, according to the Post, whose headline read: Tom's Quackpost Fe$t to Hit City.

The clinic offers free "Scientology-inspired" treatments, such as heavy intake of niacin, ingesting cold-pressed oil and sweating sessions in saunas, as well as frequent showers, according to the post. The clinic, which was opened with Cruise's assistance, follows the teachings of the late L. Ron Hubbard, a science-fiction writer who founded Scientology, it reported.

The good part is that it will publicize the on-going health issues facing those rescue workers.

It may also remind authorities that rescue workers, "first-responders," are on the front lines wherever they are, and they are not disposable. They need to be prepared to go into toxic environments before the fact, and we also need to know how to care for them after the fact. We're only just learning about the long-term harm people may suffer from exposure.

As for Cruise, he is exploiting the 9/11 workers, consciously or not. He's in a cult. I don't think he can partition what he does for "charity" from what he does to further the aims of that cult. It is the medium in which he exists, the context of everything he thinks - if he is to be believed.

I"ve heard of some of these treatments - the low heat sauna and taking oil, These help to get toxins and heavy metals out of the tissues,

I suspect it's got some sound advise mixed with the cultish rhetoric.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know anything about it. I wish I did

I do know that a good friend of mine who spent months voluntarily digging out the WTC has been deteriorating seriously ever since, and now makes it out of bed for a few hours a day if hes lucky.

So far nothing from anybody has helped and there are few anywhere that will even give leads to what might work, the powers that be seem to have an official stance that 9/11 Disease doesnt even exist, let alone any helps or remedies

I personally dont care who it is, if someone finds something that works for these people I am all for it

Edited by mstar1

Please do. I find it very hard to make sense of things like this. When someone gives of their time to help ease the pain of terror or destruction towards their fellowman and then end up like this it is nearly impossible for me to understand. It just seems so terrible wrong. Thank you for a name also because I prayed for this young man, and now I can say Sean in my prayers.

(((((Sean)))))

I am not saying that scientology is all bad. Its the people running I had a problem with! Sorry to hear about your friend. I hope he gets better. When LRH passed away the leadership changed. Things got bad. It was always about the money. They almost runied me in finacally. It was a good thing I got out of there. About a year later some guy killed himself because they took all his money. A lot of heads rolled after that. It had taken them a long time to recover from that.

I prayed for this young man

:) Im sure Sean says thanks!

Seans a little closer to our age bracket, He was a medic in Vietnam, saw a few too many heinous things, and has been always ready to do whatever, whenever, whether he logically can or cant and regardless of consequences

To him its not even a question, when the planes hit, he immediately drove down to Manhattan and dove in with both hands , he stayed for months.

Even though his health (and business) were failing he did the same thing at Katrina, bringing van loads of people back to his own house, and donating truckloads of musical instruments ( he owns a music store) to New Orleans musicians and schools that lost theirs, out of his own pocket. Its the type of guy he is

He never has had a sense of self preservation, its tough to see someone so high energy and selfless gagging and breathless now. IMO he certainly deserves better

Thanks again for the prayers

Well, I am saying that Scientology IS all bad. I live out here in LA LA land where the Scientology HQ is and have had tons of Hubbard books mailed the my school where I work. They aretrash, and hey it isn't a Christian organization. Tom Cruise is a cult leader and people out here buy into it so they can get a chance to meet him. The churches in NY should step up and minister to people. I dont think a Scientology based rehab will even help them. the workers need love, prayer and healing in the name of Jesus Christ.