GreaseSpot Cafe

A Cult is a cult is a cult...

TheHighWay

I know we've talked before about how cults (or any controlling group, or any controlling person, for that matter) use the same tactics and methods for keeping people under control. And we've talked about some of the wonderful books out there that go over these methods point-by-point to help those of us who have been controlled SEE how we were manipulated and kept in bondage.

But yesterday I saw a PBS show on Jonestown that sent chills up my spine. I've seen documentaries and made-for-tv-movies about the group before, but this was the first one that had extensive comments from people who had been members of the People's Temple. People who, for various reasons, either didn't go to Jonestown, or didn't die there.

Even if you think there can be no comparing Jonestown and TWI, (granted, they got extreme in ways twi never did) the comments from the people who were involved sound like they were lifted right off this board...

"it was so exciting in the beginning, so fresh and alive... these people were my family... Jim Jones could just draw you in... I saw people get healed... as the church grew there was a lot of work to be done so we were all expected to put in 10-20 hours a week in addition to our regular jobs... as things got more controlled I started to have doubts but you couldn't express them; your own family members would report you to the leadership if you did... if you had said or done something wrong, Jim would call you out in front of the congregation, often at mealtimes, and berate you until you admitted you were sorry... I sat there and watched this happen and KNEW that it was just wrong, and still I sat there and did nothing... I was afraid to leave... leaving meant walking away from my wife and children because she didn't want to leave... "

They actually had audio clips of a woman turning her husband in for saying he wanted to leave the group, and of Jones chewing this poor guy down. Maybe some of you never went through one of Martindale's (or some mog-wanna-be's) rants but listening to these clips reminded me SO much of being back in-rez.

PBS tends to replay their shows, but on a local schedule.

If you get a chance to watch this program I highly recommend it!!

Edited by TheHighWay

Let me add a warning here....

One woman describes how Jones selected her to have sex with, and her narrative is so close to what I've heard described as VP's behavior that it kinda shook me up a bit...

I mean, the woman is very matter of fact and doesn't go into any gory details, but it doesn't "diminish" the horrible thing that was done to her.

More quotes:

... when we first started building Jonestown it was like being a part of something new and fresh and different. I loved that we were growing our own food and making everything ourselves. ... because none of us owned much we were all part-owners of this place... it was such a sense of comeraderie and it was just FUN!!!

Does this remind anyone of how they felt working at HQ or Gunnison or Indiana in the corps? We felt special, it was often great fun. We grew our own food and prepared it. And we felt that because of our efforts to improve and maintain these places, they belonged to us.

Edited by TheHighWay

YES!!!

I have been struck with the similarities as well.

There was always a scriptural reason pounded into peoples heads WHY it was necessary to go against their better judgement.

It was the same in the special I watched about the davidians.

The survivors STILL find ways to think that it is all ok.

Thanks for the post. I totally missed the program. Sometimes I forget about PBS with all the other channels on cable nowadays.

It's being re-run at 2AM Thursday (Wed night) here (KERA-13) in Dallas/Fort Worth. I'm gonna tape it for sure. Thanks!

I didn't see that particular show you are speaking of, but I saw one years ago when a son of Jim Jones either biological or adopted son had lived through the ordeal because he was somewhere else. I had also watched the one on the Branch Davidians and even the FBI guys who were trained not to fall for this stuff got a little confused debating scripture with David Koresh and said the more he talked, the more sense it made. But then that is true for all cults, listen to their spin long enough and it starts making sense. I have also read up on the Moonies, and as weird as they were, they had many of the same claims and techniques, and believed that people were healed and thought they were fighting devils and were on the front lines of spiritual warfare, that because of them, society would be saved because of the stand they were taking for God. Urgency of the times, that is a great tactic to use on people.

Hi The Highway ~

I agree. That re-telling of Deborah with Jones on the back of the bus gave me the willies.

I posted my thoughts and comments on the Jonestown thread that's going on the Open section and don't know how to link it here.

I thought PBS did a great job providing background, context and a matter-of-fact telling by the survivors (even by Jim Jones, Jr.) of what transpired - - so to see the amount of emotion at the end by each one of them as they re-tell about the mass suicide and who in their families died is just simply mind numbing. I just sat there at the end staring at the TV.

J.