GreaseSpot Cafe

I HATED corps night

Dot Matrix

ex wrote "and i didn't know martindale had a sister in the corps. i think i remember her from years ago. she had his face but only she had hair on her head, if i remember correctly"

Hey what is wrong with being bald unless of course your are LCM and bald. Ha ha

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was "on the field" and when psycho's tape was played, my first response was, "ohmygod it's my fault"

Strange excie ... because I thought exactly the same as you ...

I remember enduring that psycho bus driver spiel ...

and I had already heard some sheet before ...

and the first thing I thought was...

Oh My God ...

It's

ALL

EXCIE'S FAULT !

:jump: :jump:

OMG Rhino you are killing me :biglaugh:

Everybody I got to say that I have stressed about that post since I wrote it last night. I REALLY tired not to...but old ingraned habits die really hard. So to everyone, thank you from the very bottom of my heart, you have no idea how much weight lifted from my heart when I read all your words. Well you probably do have an idea...anyway enough mushy stuff.

Sunesis you are very right they would always set us up to fail. Hence my adventure out LEAD. I will collect my thoughts and start another thread. I don't think that it should be as "exciting" as the other incident. As I have no idea of what happened to those that were injured after they left the hospitals. But you never know as I have realized lately when I start to tell a story all sorts of memories pop up.

As for Carrie Muttindale, she lived in Arkansas, Hot Springs I think. I was WOW in Jonesboro then moved to LR for two years before joining the Corps. I would see her during limb meetings. I have a pic of her, but no scanner. She did look a lot like LCM but her nose was bigger and her chin a bit longer. In her old age, without plastic surgery she would look like the classic witch without the wart. No Kidding! She poofed her hair A LOT. It was the '80's. :biglaugh: You may remember her she did a short stint with Way productions until someone finally convinced LCM that she didn't really have any talent. She always sang the same two or three songs at meetings, 3 years of the same songs... <_< She was a vindictive hateful woman, and I have no idea why she never liked me. I mean after all I'm such a loveable little cus. :P

Oh and here is one member of the 16th that survived the corps.

Rev. Rosalie F. Rivenbark, President

Rev. Vince McFadden, Vice President

Rev. Roger Mittler, Vice President

Rev. John Rupp, Vice President

Rev. Jean-Yves De Lisle, Secretary-Treasurer

I was out lightbearer with him. He wasn't my partner but we (the 4 of us) stayed in the same house. Not so sure I am proud of him.

Thanks again! :D

:offtopic: If any of you saw Craig's parents, Carrie looked a lot like her mom, whereas Craig had more of his dad's features mixed in... I never knew her well, but a guy I thought highly of from our corps married her, so I figured she was okay. As with so many twi marriages it didn't last. :offtopic:

WE NOW RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD TOPIC.

I think the biggest thing that disappointed me about the so called holy night of bore/uh corps was that all we did was listen to "translations according to usage" and write like profusely-- frantically --all because this was the greatest whatever--- and walking home, or going to the so called twig after was so boring --because corps night was boring!

If we hated it so much - why are we still talking about it???

I went and sat and wished they would serve coffee Before the dang meeting instead of after when we had just one more hour til bedtime.....

I remember when corps night was on Tuesday night......and at hq, food services routinely served apple crisp and ice cream as the supper meal. Yeah, the main course was a major sugar buzz....especially since lots of us guys would go back for a second helping.

Oh, and those "literal translations according to usage" were a huge waste of time. By the next morning, they were filed away and rarely reviewed ever again. So all those hours and hours and hours of vpw corps nights......I TRASHED and never used them again. Ever.

Besides.......during my inrez years, we were 1) going thru the Ephesians tapes, 2) hitting Thessalonians during our "study periods", 3) being taught Acts by the corps coordinators, and 4) robotically taking vigorous notes while wierwille gave us alot of his private interpretation of Romans.

:rolleyes:

If we hated it so much - why are we still talking about it???

Because it was yet one more insane unpleasantry that people not only endured, but PAID for the privilege of sitting through :doh:

Folks did it because they were told this is what would make them spiritually sharp...my guess is from all of the replies so far...it was a failure.

Because it was yet one more insane unpleasantry that people not only endured, but PAID for the privilege of sitting through :doh:

Folks did it because they were told this is what would make them spiritually sharp...my guess is from all of the replies so far...it was a failure.

Oh I don't know about that failure thing Rascal, I got a sharp pain in my Arse, and most people tell me that I'm a smart Arse so doesn't that count?

And all that time, I thought you guys were having some kinda big old party..

:biglaugh:

And this coming from someone who packs nuts in his cheeks :biglaugh: Cute, furry little cheeks...I just want to pinch them! :eusa_clap:

gee, i hate to be contrary :P , but i liked corps night. it was what i thought i went in the corps for, in-depth bible teaching.

was it dull, droning and often nonsensical? absolutely. especially when vp himself would "expound." but, to me, it beat the hell out of the "work program," Dave B's bizarre witnessing skills (or whatever that wacko thing was), and most of the other crap we had to do.

plus we got coffee! WOO! and some kind of "treat." (popcorn? what was it?)

Coffee? You guys were betrayed. The way I heard it, that wasn't coffee, it was decaf..

There was coffee? Where was I? Maybe it was supposed to come out of the walls after the voice stopped droning on, and on, and on....

Now where's that little squirrel at, I want to give him a big fat smooch!! Pucker up fur face! :biglaugh:

actually, dot, the high point of my week was when i rehearsed with the band. even though we had to practice at an impossible hour for rock and roll (5 am? now THAT'S blasphemy!), we had a great time writing beatlesque bible songs, knowing none of the heavies would ever pick up on our "devilish" inspiration!

the next highest point was when we got to play.

so i guess corps night was the 3rd highest point of my week! ya-HOO!

(your comment made me wonder if "stringing chairs" is a phrase anyone else in the world used. so i did a google search--and the only hit i got with the same meaning was right here at greasespot!)

ROTFL

You googled it and it came back here.... What a hoot

My favorite times were cutting classes.

It took some planning but it was worth it.

I also hated that we had to "dress-up"

Sometimes you were just at your "job" and it took a lot to clean up and get there in time.

I also hated that we had to "dress-up"

Speaking of "dress-up".......

Dot, were you around for the insane policies of "dress-up" by lcm during the full-time corps experiment (1995-1998)? Anyways........Martinfail concocted the logic that if the hq corps/staff people had to dress-up for those corps morning meetings, then the field corps [on phone hook-ups] NEEDED TO DO THE SAME.

So, across the country......there'd be TWO PEOPLE (husband and wife) in those "corps cities" where they'd be all dressed up in suit/tie/dove lapel pin and wife in nice dress/make-up/jewelry/etc ALL DRESSED UP SITTING AT THEIR KITCHEN TABLE TO LISTEN TO A DAMN PHONE HOOK-UP AT TEN O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING.

Martindale threatened us one time and said that he didn't want to find out that some corps was sitting in their pajamas listening to the corps teaching. Therefore, he EXPECTED the husband or wife to inform their next-in-line leadership if violations were happening in the "corps morning dress code."

IMO, it was wierwille's over-the-top bravado that made this a "dress-up" affair......and martindale, the ever-obedient robot, just couldn't see the insanity of this legalism.

:asdf: