GreaseSpot Cafe

I HATED corps night

Dot Matrix

OMG Rhino you are killing me :biglaugh:

Everybody I got to say that I have stressed about that post since I wrote it last night. I REALLY tired not to...but old ingraned habits die really hard. So to everyone, thank you from the very bottom of my heart, you have no idea how much weight lifted from my heart when I read all your words. Well you probably do have an idea...anyway enough mushy stuff.

Sunesis you are very right they would always set us up to fail. Hence my adventure out LEAD. I will collect my thoughts and start another thread. I don't think that it should be as "exciting" as the other incident. As I have no idea of what happened to those that were injured after they left the hospitals. But you never know as I have realized lately when I start to tell a story all sorts of memories pop up.

As for Carrie Muttindale, she lived in Arkansas, Hot Springs I think. I was WOW in Jonesboro then moved to LR for two years before joining the Corps. I would see her during limb meetings. I have a pic of her, but no scanner. She did look a lot like LCM but her nose was bigger and her chin a bit longer. In her old age, without plastic surgery she would look like the classic witch without the wart. No Kidding! She poofed her hair A LOT. It was the '80's. :biglaugh: You may remember her she did a short stint with Way productions until someone finally convinced LCM that she didn't really have any talent. She always sang the same two or three songs at meetings, 3 years of the same songs... <_< She was a vindictive hateful woman, and I have no idea why she never liked me. I mean after all I'm such a loveable little cus. :P

Oh and here is one member of the 16th that survived the corps.

Rev. Rosalie F. Rivenbark, President

Rev. Vince McFadden, Vice President

Rev. Roger Mittler, Vice President

Rev. John Rupp, Vice President

Rev. Jean-Yves De Lisle, Secretary-Treasurer

I was out lightbearer with him. He wasn't my partner but we (the 4 of us) stayed in the same house. Not so sure I am proud of him.

Thanks again! :D

I remember meeting Kerry at Emporia when I was headed out WOW in 1989... I noticed the nametag and she responded by saying, "No, I'm not his ex-wife. I'm his SISTER," and she pulled her Farah Focette hair-do off her face and THAT NOSE.... Holy cow! That NOSE was a dead ringer... if she'd put on a bald cap she'd have been a skinny version of Craig with boobs.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and THAT NOSE.... Holy cow! That NOSE was a dead ringer... if she'd put on a bald cap she'd have been a skinny version of Craig with boobs.

ROFLMAO

Where's a good photo manipulator when you need one!

Edited by doojable

Most of my in-res corps nights were at Stalag Emporia with JAL, and DB.

There was one corps night that did not suck. Our area had an all day work day followed by the brown bag dinner and corps night. I did not have time after work and cleaning up to make it from UH dorm to the cafeteria and back to the library. Man was I hungary!

Dr. W was there and began by showing some film. While it was playing he walked out of the teacher's room and pointed out people to go to the teacher's room. He pointed at me, I mouthed the word ME? He then mouthed YES, YOU. So I got off my arse and went into the teachers room. In there were burgers and beer for us! :eusa_clap:

The best part came later when LCM called him from HQ. I have no idea what the conversation was about, but Dr. W reamed him like you would not believe for the longest time! I had to hold the beer up to my face to cover the grin. :biglaugh:

Eyesopen thanks for sharing. We were dialed in from a way home when POP was read. I have often wondered what that time was like residence.

Folks did it because they were told this is what would make them spiritually sharp...my guess is from all of the replies so far...it was a failure.

Or not ... If one wanted a fair evaluation you might include a few replies not from a exway board where a very small percentage of exway followers gather with predominantly negative feelings about their experience. Hardly a fair cross-section to make such a evaluation from I'd think. I bet Way followers would think that Greasespot is a failure,but that does not make it so does it? I would expect as much from them, I expect bettter here.

Too funny - I cracked up about the drinking of a fifth of dambouie!!! Fran Nave and I used to sneak out at night every once in a while and go to the local bar and do shots. Good grief, we had some fun times. She eventually left the Corps but I still wonder how she is now. She was a beautiful person for sure.

Corps night was ok but VPW would go on and on at times. As long as they taught from scripture I was ok with it. I think God taught me more all the times I WASN'T at a meeting.

I would refuse to cut grass or work on the grounds or go witnessing in Dayton.

Scripture Retemory was ok in 4th/5th Corps cz the whole row would have to stand up and say it. All of us who didn't memorize them could usually muddle our way through and do Kareoke style.

I didn't go to lead either and didn't want to go and glad I didn't. At one of them they did a military takeover and made the people there think the Communists had taken over the camp. They blindfolded all of them and tied them up, separated them and held them prisoners. They made them stay awake for hours, did hours of interrogation and a whole lot of other things to them. In the end Craig said that if any of them had just stopped and asked God He would have told them it was a hoax. I was always glad I didn't go. When those of us who stayed behind heard about it we thought the leadership was NUTS and thought, "what was the purpose of all that".

I pretty much put my time in and worked staff for a year after graduation and then left the ministry. They got upset because I wanted a paycheck for working full time like my husband got for working full time. There is no way they gave the little wifey money for working full time at Kipp Farm. It was hard work and I thought I deserved a paycheck too. Silly me!!! When I insisted they said I had a bad attitude. Yeah, and I said, "whatever". I knew it was just a matter of time. Gosh, I learned people would make all kinds of stories about you when you didn't do what they wanted you to do. Then they would try to make it sound like it was you that was so screwed up.

Between the ministry and my husband spreading lies about me I was/am really glad I never gave too much of a d*mn how anyone else thought about me. It's a wicked world inside that there place!!!! Silly a**ed people. Glad I left when I did.

From reading all the posts here I have to tell you that 4th Corps wasn't as bad as you all had it. So I guess I'm glad for that.

Edi darlin, I've not met you yet but I have to tell you, you have one wicked avatar...I shudder to think of looking at that bird sway back and forth...after a pint of drambouie...ooooh dizzy. :wacko:

Anyways, nice to meet you!!

So, across the country......there'd be TWO PEOPLE (husband and wife) in those "corps cities" where they'd be all dressed up in suit/tie/dove lapel pin and wife in nice dress/make-up/jewelry/etc ALL DRESSED UP SITTING AT THEIR KITCHEN TABLE TO LISTEN TO A DAMN PHONE HOOK-UP AT TEN O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING.

as my friend at work would say, that's just plain WRONG

i would say it's frikkin INSANE

i guess they stood for the teacher too at their kitchen table

dove

perhaps i missunderstand

can you tell me one thing twi had as a sucess beside brainwashing and all the things that led to?

Coolchef

Sorry but I am far to busy to take time and compile a list of learning from the Corps Nights. I might be inclined to attempt it if there was a point to it other than fodder for more discussion that I don't have time to engage in. I don't know if you misunderstood or not everyone's experience is "what it is" . My point was /is that one can not make a statement of fair evaluation based on a handful of posts. In fact even without the duplicate posts 84 posts is less than 5% of the GreaseSpot membership opinion. In terms of the 100,000 or so that were involved with the Way it is ,well too miniscule a number to count to reach such a conclusion. It is a bit like thinking you would get a fair evaluation of a business - by polling the few people in the customer complaint line rather than the many satisfied customers in the store as well.

Brainwashed Really? If you let your brain be washed I suppose that would be who's choice?

Really if you look at the majority of the material from the Corps nights it is simply using basic research books to view scripture it was nothing unique to VPW. Obviously there was some wrong and some right learning in the mix I don't know anyone that would dispute that fact. And certainly one could dispute if the knowledge was beneficially applied in a persons life or not, I'd guess each case differed.

Really if you look at the majority of the material from the Corps nights it is simply using basic research books to view scripture it was nothing unique to VPW.

so you guys dressed up in tuxedos for a "banquet" that ended up being no better than a meal at McDonalds. At least that is what it looks like.

at least that's my impression. Those outside the fold so to speak, had the impression that you guys were being doled out the secrets of the universe on a silver platter..

so you guys dressed up in tuxedos for a "banquet" that ended up being no better than a meal at McDonalds. At least that is what it looks like.

at least that's my impression. Those outside the fold so to speak, had the impression that you guys were being doled out the secrets of the universe on a silver platter..

Hammer...those "secrets of the universe" ended up being a MAJOR disapointment to me...and I know that I am just one lonely voice out of the "100,000" that were touched by the master of the cornfield...BUT...if bulls* t was Campbells soup, corps night would have everybody singing "mmm mmm good"...

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

Those outside the fold so to speak, had the impression that you guys were being doled out the secrets of the universe on a silver platter..

It did appear that way but a good deal of the secrets relied on figures of speech from Bullinger Orientalisms from Pillai and lots of basic concordance work.

Sunesis and Eyesopen,

Hello Sunesis, so good to hear from you and yes, I'm glad to be back too and thanks for the compliment about my insight!! Not everyone says that you know. :rolleyes:

And Eyesopen, hello to you too. It's so nice to meet you and hopefully we'll get to know each other better. xo Edi

My favorite times were cutting classes.

It took some planning but it was worth it.

some of my favorite times were when we'd cut church, as i used to call it--leave campus before the sunday 10:30 fellowship, and spend 4 hours at the country kitchen drinking coffee! woo! (seems all my good memories centered around coffee.)

Sprawled out

When I cut "church" I was always afraid I would be called on the SIT and Interpret.

I would have a back up person -- like Fran Luby to do it if I were called on.

Then, Fran said "You don't think they will notice?"

I thought, "Oh crap."

But the lure of leaving was TOO great so I booked

Edi

I like your happy little bird as well!

Sky

I was not around in the 90's. Geez, talk about the opposite of the way it all started in the 70's in my area.

Sprawled out

When I cut "church" I was always afraid I would be called on the SIT and Interpret.

I would have a back up person -- like Fran Luby to do it if I were called on.

Then, Fran said "You don't think they will notice?"

I thought, "Oh crap."

But the lure of leaving was TOO great so I booked

ha! a back-up person. man, you had balls! i don't remember what i thought about that possibility. not much, apparently, because i cut out all the time!

Out there

But Sunday night they did not have an attendance list and you sat where you wanted. That was the time to leave.

I actually parked my car on the "escape street" so nobody would hear me start the engine.

It was fun!

Sprawled out

Pat Davis and I would go to the lake and lay in the late afternoon sun. It was great. Brenda Valentine at times, and a few others.

I was always afraid to come back "tan" ya know?

Even though I was never in the Corps, this thread still hits home for me.

In Fellowlaborers, we had FL night every Wednesday night.

There was no way to "ditch" because there were only fifty of us.

You couldn't even miss "5:30 AM meeting and run" without someone noticing.

Every night we had supper at limb HQ at 5:30-6:00 and then worked until 9:30 or 10 before evening fellowhip at 10:30

Every night, that is, except Fellowlaborer Night .

That night we would eat at our house tables as usual and then clean up and set up for FL night at 6:30 or 7(?)

We ,too, had to change into "nice" clothes for this one. Ties and coats for men and dresses for women.

Quite a chore getting changed from work clothes into nice clothes in such a limited time while 20+ guys tried to do the same in one dinky men's room.

The first year wasn't too bad. Howie Y. was Limb leader/ FL coordinator. He had a very mellow approach. (Plus, he played us tons of Tower of Power, Cold Blood and Sons of Champlan.) :wink2: Lots of motivational stuff too but none of the screaming rants and verbal disembowelments that were to follow the subsequent years.

The second and third year were like night and day from the first. Howie was recalled to Int. HQ and Jim M. came in as Limb leader. Every FL meeting was like a mystery series on TV. We never knew from week to week what we would be screamed at and belittled for and we looked forward to Wednesdays with" loathing and fear".(Ummmm---that's Greek for "wonder" and "amazement".)

Every week we came to the meeting asking ourselves" How did we totally blow it THIS week?"

Never fear, though, Jim M(or was that Jim "BM") was sure to point out our every failure and was kind enough to give an individualized critique in front of 49 other people. Then, of course, the 49 others were reamed for allowing a brother or sister to fall so far away from God's love and protection.

Ahh, Yes. Warm and fuzzy memories of Wednesday nights, long ago, in land where The Book of Acts came to life right before our eyes. Cough!! Cough!! Cough!!