GreaseSpot Cafe

NETFLIX

DON'T DO IT!

It takes a while to get the movies to your house again once you send them out - and we often got 2 out of 3 with noticable scratches. I spent HOURS fixing them with that CD/DVD scratch liquid junk (As Seen On TV) so we could watch what was sent to us. We got maybe 6 to 9 movies a month at $24.99/month - almost the same - sometimes MORE - as it costs for us to rent locally.

They're a pain in the a$$ - and if you loose the little envelopes they came in, that makes it tougher to send em' back.

All in all - no worth it.

Yes, I've tried it... the main 'hang up' was the time with mailing one back before you received another selection. Never had a problem with a DVD not working... waiting was 'it'.....

Had a certain 'place' for the return envelope, so that never got lost....

Driving up to the local 'Family Video' is more our style, although NetFlix has a wider range of DVD's!!!! (Did watch a concert from 1981 where I was IN the crowd)!!!! That was fun :)

Have friends that LOVE IT!!!! They are good at planning though.... knowing whats coming for the weekend~ Can't hurt to try it!

I use it, but it's just me here and I sometimes take weeks to watch what I order. I love it. I've never been one to rent movies a lot anyway, so I use it more like a "I'd like to see that sometime" kind of deal and am on the "one at a time" unlimited plan with them. It's only about $8-10/month and I keep one that long, too, sometimes. :redface2: That's why I like their "no late fees" system.

I can see where it would be a pain if you were trying to plan to have a movie to watch for a certain night. It only takes a day or two for the new DVD to arrive after I ship one out, but I suppose that depends on where your movies are coming from. I think mine are actually shipped from Orlando.

I've got Dr. Zhivago right now and had it for about two weeks already. I do love the movie selection and being able to put things in your queue as you come across things you'd like to see. They have some awesome documentaries on things.

Never had a problem with the DVDs themselves.

I've used Blockbuster's mail deal a couple times. They give you three at a time, and depending on your post office, they can actually mail your next selection out when you mail yours back (rather than waiting till they actually receive it) .. the magic of bar codes I guess.

Also at Blockbuster you get 2 a month free from the store, and you can always take your movies in directly to the store, eliminating the mail time altogether. I use it for 3 months or so in the winter and that is enough ... there just aren't that many movies I want to see.

It seems the Blockbuster price is like $17/month for 3 at a time. I only got a couple with scratches on them.

we have pay-per-view with a hard drive right now,but if you dont catch the new stuff right away---with my life -- Im never "up-to-date" so we thought about it.

Also I was looking for a movie of a book that I had my son read. The Chosen -- from the 80's -- great book, good movie, so I told him when he finished we would go rent the movie. Lo- and behold no one had it except I could order and buy it. Didn't really want to buy it, but i wanted my son to see it.

Chaim Potock is a Rabbi/writer....another book of his is Gates of November -- true story about Jews in Russia while under communist regime starting with Lenin.

well I am trying it...got my movies today...1 very old hard to find movie, and one new one. Its really the older ones that I want -- #1 son is considering the "moving images" bachelors at my alma mater, so we are showing him some classics he doesn't now about....next is casablanca.

I will let you know how it works in this neck of the woods mail-wise.

I've used Netflix for about 6 years now. I love them!! Monday I mailed out my return discs and Wednesday I got the replacements.

I've gotten scratched DVD's occasionally. I go to their website and report it and the next day they send replacements. You just send the damaged one when you get a chance.

To make Netflix economical, you have to do a few things. First make sure that there are always movies in your Queue. Then make sure that you send the movies back as soon as you are done. They make their real money on you letting the movies sit at your house for a few weeks. (you are paying 19 bucks a month whether you use them or not)

• 1 month later...

I've used Netflix for a couple of years now. I like it. I usually order movies that I can't find here locally since I live in a small town and the movie gallery doesn't have a lot of things I want to see from years ago. Plus, for the monthly price I can rent a lot, a lot cheaper within a month than I would if I rented from movie gallery for a month. I pay one price and rent all I want. Great deal!

I haven't used them but I thought I saw something the other day where they're going to try and be the leaders in downloadable movies...
I was just on their site yesterday and noticed they have a couple of movies that you can watch right then by downloading, but they are very old movies and saw a couple of documentaries, not interesting ones at all (to me anyway). I can't wait until they offer some children's movies that we can watch right there on the website.

There's something new in our area called Red Box - it's like a vending machine for renting movies. Movies are $1/per night!

It's got great selection - not a lot - but mostly new and recent releases. It's great for anything the kids want to watch and since there's one in my town, it's very easy to rent and return within 24 hours.

Gee... $1/night with Red Box OR $4.50/night Town Video Store....??? Not a hard decision there...