LEAD 1986

Eyesopen

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We were in the FWC for a blessedly short time. We were fam-20. During our time at Rome City some fam-19 were sent out LEAD and they had to hitchhike. Horneys were in charge at Gunnison. As I recall, it was a disaster for several people. Some were late, many were ill equipped, and one woman had a screaming asthma attack when she got there and refused to go out to hike, be left alone in the wilderness while sick, etc. Many, including of course the asthma sufferer, nearly got kicked out, and all but one couple who, according to the Greatest Man of God Ever, "humbled themselves and admitted they were full of unbelief," were thoroughly reamed out and under suspicion when they returned.

His Majesty King Craig had a five-star screaming ....-fit the Corps Night before these hapless souls returned. He bitterly, viciously castigated the asthma victim by name. He had become so filled with extremely righteous spiritual fury, outrage, and indignation at her vile and loathsome self for her lack of believing that he had Jac**e put her up in a motel in Gunnison, and refused to allow her sorry a$$ to contaminate the grounds of Gunnison until it was time for her to hitchhike home. I have no idea whether she was given medication, money for food or anything. Then when they returned, all the LEAD people were shut up in the little dining room off the main dining room and had to listen to the hole words and spittle issue forth from between his sanctified lips. This woman was there, her head down on the table, sobbing her heart out. I could hear Martinfart's voice screaming over the speakers in the room.

Oddly enough, as far as I know, this family is still "in" and still "WC." She must have really broken down for him to let her stay after that. Poor woman!

I had already received the impression that he did not like the FWC anyway. He only granted our unworthy selves the privilege of visiting us once and seemed very ill at ease. The children there, especially the children of the above described woman, were taught to worship him. Having LCM greet and touch the children was like Jesus blessing the little ones. He seemed very ill at ease, probably because he had to be around such lowlife, little believing, weaklings such as we.

I am so thankful I was never faced with going LEAD. I would never have made it. To the best of my knowledge everyone in fam-19 was required to go, including DLM's sister who was handicapped. But thankfully I wasn't around by then.

You would think that someone who considered himself to be such an intellectual heavyweight would have figured out a long time before that, that something was dreadfully wrong with the program, not the people who were forced into it.

WG

PS: I hope those of you who read my posts realize that the above is strongly laced with heavy sarcasm. I have nothing but contempt for LCM. I had nothing but sympathy for his victim. He had no concern whatsoever for the people, only for the program. Typical, but so very wrong.

Edited by Watered Garden

WG- it is truly amazing that this woman would stay. I just have to shake my head. God Bless her and all the other tortured souls.

Yeah, it was amazing. Sometimes it seemed to me like the worse LCM screamed at some of these hapless souls, the more tenacious they were. There was also a couple in F19 that had several children - his, hers, and theirs. They got pregnant again their practicum year and caused LCM to express exceeding great rage and fury regarding their "Catholic" mentality. I don't remember if they were allowed to stay WC or not, but this all happened not too long before the Great Forehead's downfall.

Sorry for the :offtopic: but it just popped into my mind.

WG

Yeah, it was amazing. Sometimes it seemed to me like the worse LCM screamed at some of these hapless souls, the more tenacious they were. There was also a couple in F19 that had several children - his, hers, and theirs. They got pregnant again their practicum year and caused LCM to express exceeding great rage and fury regarding their "Catholic" mentality. I don't remember if they were allowed to stay WC or not, but this all happened not too long before the Great Forehead's downfall.

Sorry for the :offtopic: but it just popped into my mind.

WG

Some people find that such adversity merely fuels their motivation machine. It is almost a "I'll show him!" mentality.

As for :offtopic: I have derailed more than one thread in my short time here. In fact that is where this one came from...another thread...so as not to derail it further.

Love ya lots (((((WG)))))

Some people find that such adversity merely fuels their motivation machine.

Motivation machine. I like that.....gotta fuel up my motivation machine! Good mind picture.

Almost sounds like a song title. :dance:

Thanks, Eyes.

WG - that's sad about that women. Don't know how she's doing now, but I prayed for her anyway. She NEEDS to get out of there. :(

Rochelle was a very dear close friend of mine, But remember she did not get hurt hitching. We have to remember that her and HCW and others were hurt because safety was a joke at BLEAD. The accident could have and should have pointed the blame to the corps director who was in charge of the program.

I really feel for all the innocents that were hurt while having to hitch hike. I personally never had any problems except being hungry, cold, sleep deprived and lost. this is nothing compared to what others were put through during the experience and then having to hear the rants of lcm when they returned to campus. Even those who thought they had a good BLEAD experience had it destroyed by him and his mindless rantings. Well what goes around eventually comes around (what has Brown done for you lately?). I fell my life has gotten better over the years and I don't have to load trucks in the middle of the night.

• 2 weeks later...
Eyesopen

Maybe you could help me write the story how I got the

Board of Trustees to payed for Corps.

I payed for the first year they paid the last.

You have a way with words.

Thank you Danny, it sounds like an interesting story. I will help if I can.

• 1 year later...

Eyes,

Loved your story. So many things you described brought flashbacks to my LEAD sessions. From my own experiences and what I have heard from others, there were many people injured at LEAD through no fault of their own on many sessions over the years. Of course, TWI always blamed the victims.

I applaud you for listening to your dad instead of the TWI leaders. I remember some of the ridiculous instruction they gave us. If I had listened and obeyed their instruction, I'd either be dead or missing body parts from frostbite.

It seemed like LEAD evaluations were written before your session started. The Corps leaders or LEAD staff decided before you got there if you were going to get a good or bad eval. They criticized you for not finishing a climb. I finished every climb no matter how difficult and how much skin and blood I lost. Because of that, I was told I was prideful, rebellious... I did the climbs I was told to do, finished them, but was told I was rebellious. Got the "rebellion is like unto witchcraft" verse tossed at me several times.

I would guess if you had finished the climb, you would have somehow been wrong for doing so. Someone had probably decided you were going to get a poor LEAD eval before you left Emporia.

And as for Carree Martinxxxx, I recall her special treatment while in residence. I never had direct dealings with her, but was shocked at how they catered to her in allowing her children to stay at Emporia for extended periods of time. I know of other parents in-res who had children. Their kids were not allowed to visit for an afternoon let alone entire weekends. So much for respecter of persons. She was one of those people who was going to get a good LEAD eval if she never did a climb, had someone else carry her pack and sat back at the fire eating bonbons all day. She is the only person I have ever heard of who got a shower while on a LEAD session. WTF...

after reading this, I'm so glad I got kicked out of the corps. I was dreading LEAD anyway, now I feel I was spared more than I realized at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Eyes, that's some amazing story! I never heard anything about this before.

I have done a lot of hiking and camping in the mountains, and enjoy doing so when it's sub-zero. It can be good fun. But it's not an ideal first trip for city dwellers. I have also instructed on bushcraft courses and mountain safety courses.

Any trip leader, in conjunction with the group, has to be prepared to change plans to accommodate the weakest or any injured person or if weather circumstances so dictate. It can be okay going out in the teeth of a gale knowing that good weather will follow; but everyone needs to be prepared.

A lot of WC training is putting people in situations outside their comfort zones, one way or another, but this is way beyond that.

I've read that Jesus gave his life for us, but I didn't realize that meant that he wanted a few toes back in return.

My own LEAD trip was cancelled due to heavy snow. LEAD was offered (?) to the elder Corps when I was in (early 90s) and they had sent the younger Corps out to check out the location. Apparently the younger Corps had to struggle up a hillside and it was often waist deep in snow. So they canceled it for us. No opportunity to re-schedule. It should have taken place in March - but after that everyone was into RoA set-up, or Family Camps at Gunny.

I was really disappointed; of all that I believed the Corps offered and the incredible restrictions at HQ, I was looking forward to spending time outdoors. Still, it sounds as though they might have learned a lesson or two.