GreaseSpot Cafe

quinoa

Abigail

I bought quinoa for the first time last weekend (if you've never had it, it is a seed like rice, but very different in texture than white rice). I'd never even heard of it before, but was at an organic food store and it looked interesting. It is supposed to be very healthy.

I cooked it and mixed it with some bulger wheat and a ton of sauteed garlic and butter. It was wonderful, even Jacob liked it - though Aaron didn't.

Do you have any recipes for it?

Stuffed Peppers

2T olive oil

1 onion, finely chopped

3 cloves (not heads, lol!) garlic, minced

2 cups finely chopped mushrooms

1T chile powder

1t salt

1 15-oz can tomato sauce

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup quinoa

4 large bell peppers

1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed

1t maple syrup

In a saucepan over medium heat, saute the onions in oil for 3-5 minutes. add garlic and mushrooms, saute for 5 minutes more. Stir in chile powder and salt. Add quinoa, 1 cup tomato sauce, and water, lower heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring once in a while.

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare peppers: Boil a pot of water, cut top off peppers and remove seeds. Boil peppers for 5 minutes, drain.

Combine beans and maple syrup, add cooked quinoa mixture. Stuff pepper with filling. Pour remaining tomato sauce over peppers. Bake for 15 minutes.

Black Eyed Pea and Quiona Croquettes

1 15 oz can black eyed peas

1T olive oil

1T soy sauce

1 cup quinoa, cooked, room temperature

1/2t dried tyme

1/2 t dried basil

1t paprika

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350. Mash peas with potato masher. Add olive oil and soy sauce, mix. Add quinoa, and spices, and mix, using your hands.

Put breadcrumbs in small bowl. Spray a baking pan with a little oil. Form croquettes into walnut sized balls, then flatten the ends so they resemble marshmallows. Coat with breadcrumbs and place on baking sheet. When they're all on the sheet, spray them LIGHTLY with a little more oil. Bake for 20 minutes, turn them, then bake 20 more.

These are really good with a mushroom gravy, but don't serve the gravy on top, or they will get mushy. Instead, serve the gravy on the side, and dip the croquettes into it, like a fondue.

Cool Fact! 1 cup of quinoa contains more calcium than a quart of milk.

Here is a family favorite. Even my kids enjoyed this salad made with these "seeds."

Quinoa Salad:

3 cups cooked Quinoa

3 chicken breasts, cubed

One-half green pepper, coarsely chopped

One whole red pepper, coarsely chopped

2 green onions, finely chopped

Dressing:

One third cup olive oil

One fourth cup lemon juice

Two teaspoons Spike

One quarter teaspoon garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl. Add lemon or Spike to taste.

Here ya go Radar,

Food Item: Quinoa

Food Quantity: 1 tbsp

Carbs: 27g

Dietary Fiber: 2g

Net Carbs: 25g

Quinoa and Carbs

Grains and oats (like Quinoa), have a high carb count but a lower "net carb" or "digestible carb" content. They contain several vitamins and minerals. Grains and oats are often a good source of dietary fiber, which has a number of health benefits. For example, fiber helps protect against digestive disorders and disease. Healthy low carb diet plans typically recommend grains and oats in later phases of the eating plan, when you are permitted more carbs - although whole grain varieties are preferred.

Quinoa and Glycemic Index

Oats and grains which are higher in insoluble fiber content (mainly cellulose) are digested more slowly, and are thus lower on the glycemic index, which helps to maintain more stable blood glucose levels and healthier glucose metabolism. Eating more fiber helps to reduce the effect of high glycemic index foods by lowering the glycemic value of meals.

Edited by Abigail

Here ya go Radar,

Food Item: Quinoa

Food Quantity: 1 tbsp

Carbs: 27g

Dietary Fiber: 2g

Net Carbs: 25g

Quinoa and Carbs

Grains and oats (like Quinoa), have a high carb count but a lower "net carb" or "digestible carb" content. They contain several vitamins and minerals. Grains and oats are often a good source of dietary fiber, which has a number of health benefits. For example, fiber helps protect against digestive disorders and disease. Healthy low carb diet plans typically recommend grains and oats in later phases of the eating plan, when you are permitted more carbs - although whole grain varieties are preferred.

Quinoa and Glycemic Index

Oats and grains which are higher in insoluble fiber content (mainly cellulose) are digested more slowly, and are thus lower on the glycemic index, which helps to maintain more stable blood glucose levels and healthier glucose metabolism. Eating more fiber helps to reduce the effect of high glycemic index foods by lowering the glycemic value of meals.

I bought quinoa once, from Trader Joe's. It was in an already prepared frozen dish, so all I had to do was nuke it for a few minutes...

It was (and is) my understanding that there's A LOT more nutrition in quinoa than the source Abi cited... I remembered having bought it because when I looked at the nutrition facts on the label, it said it had a pretty substantial amount of protein...

so, I checked it out.

quinoa, from Whole Foods' web site

Quinoa, uncooked

In depth nutrient analysis:

Quinoa, uncooked

(Note: "--" indicates data is unavailable)

amount 0.25 cup

total weight 42.50 g

Basic Componentsnutrientamount%DV

calories 158.95

calories from fat 22.19

calories from saturated fat 2.26

protein 5.57 g

carbohydrates 29.28 g

I had copied a table, but it didn't post correctly, so you can find a more comprehensive profile on the page linked...

Edited by Rocky

Thanks Rocky. I didn't post all of the nutritional information simply because Radar only asked about the carbs. I posted the fiber and glycemic information because that is also important in figuring the true carb count.

Fiber's good! :)

What had gotten my attention when I first saw this stuff (in the store) was that for a grain, it had so much protein... which makes it, especially for vegetarians and vegans (which I am NOT) especially noteworthy...

That glycemic index stuff seems to be pretty significant too.... at least that's what they say on the NutraSystems commercials...