GreaseSpot Cafe

The Corps and Gunnison

Bolshevik

I agree,

but I also think a secondary consideration was that ROAs provided a free flow of information

before the internet was popular. You could meet face-to-face and ask how things were going

with friends from other places. That's bad for twi- they have to control all information in order

to pretend they make sense.

But yes, I believe the main reason was money.

lcm's stated reason was something that went back to the 70s and was never fixed, so the sudden

outrage 20 years later-without a lawsuit- was obviously a smokescreen.

And anyone know about the "Way Fine Arts and Historical Center"?

I only visited the thing once.

WW.....good point about the free flow of information. Even at major events, twi attempted to micro-manage our time and to keep local (twig) oversight in place. Crap.....most of us didn't go to these major events to see the same ole people. We wanted to be with others who we'd been with thru the years. And yeah....rekindle our friendships and check the horizons.

Twi likes to keep treating people like adolescents......where THEY are in control. The condescending attitudes in twi are sickening....starting with martindale/rivenbarker.

:evildenk:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Way Fine Arts And Cultural Center

Yeah, I remember that place. I think it was in New Breman. I could be wrong.

Seems like I remember it being an old church or something that The Way was renovating to be a showcase for the fine arts.

The Fellowlaborers went there when it was first purchased(1977?) to do a weekend work detail.

We did the usual scrub floors and wash walls routine and had to sleep on the floor en masse in sleeping bags. (self provided) We did get some free meals which included the TWI staples of familia and apples and Swiss chard supreme ( or something like that).

Then we got some big pitch about how if we really wanted to serve God, we needed to get our believing together to find sponsorship and go corps. It kinda reminded me of one of those "free" weekend getaways where you are cornered into listening to a timeshare sales pitch. I don't think the pitch was too successful, though, because by that time we were pretty well burned out on working secular jobs all week and then having to drive for hours on a Friday night to scrub toilets for free all weekend. Then we would get reemed if we didn't "see" how blessed we were to be given the opportunity to be part of such a noble cause.

Of course, I did learn that The Way had a special connection to divine, artistic inspiration and that most of what "the world" calls fine art is really devil inspired. :evildenk:

Now, where's that "puke" emoticon :wink2:

Edited by waysider

According to some old Way History documents I have the Fine Arts and Historical Center was purchased in 1974 and was located in Sydney, Ohio.

I remember taking a tour of that building. It belonged to some rich old guy who had it built for his family with all the best materials money could buy at the time. Lots of things that you can't get much anymore like curly/tiger maple, and things imported from Europe. I remember Doc Vic saying he was so impressed that a man wanted his family, the place where they lived and played and grew up, surrounded by the very best, and that's why Vic wanted to buy the place.

At the time (1987) it was being used for weddings and other big social events within the ministry.

I don't remember what year it was sold but I believe it was around the same time they dumped the airplane and other large items.

According to some old Way History documents I have the Fine Arts and Historical Center was purchased in 1974 and was located in Sydney, Ohio.

I remember taking a tour of that building. It belonged to some rich old guy who had it built for his family with all the best materials money could buy at the time. Lots of things that you can't get much anymore like curly/tiger maple, and things imported from Europe. I remember Doc Vic saying he was so impressed that a man wanted his family, the place where they lived and played and grew up, surrounded by the very best, and that's why Vic wanted to buy the place.

At the time (1987) it was being used for weddings and other big social events within the ministry.

I don't remember what year it was sold but I believe it was around the same time they dumped the airplane and other large items.

The castle?

It's not owned by twi, but twi wedding receptions are still done there.

http://www.greatstonecastle.com/

The last year I was on Staff, the couples HAD to get married at HQ and had one big reception in the dining room. There was still a special table for the Trustee household even at the reception. I'm glad I didn't get married like that. It would have really sucked!!

Ah, yes, the Way Cultural Center. It was the one in New Bremen, an old church that TWI bought "to preserve the historic importance" of the building...well, that's the excuse they used to weasle the deal thru. They really bought it to house Way Prod. Some basic renovation was done, and a recording studio was built into the rear of the balcony area (two converted class rooms). It had a full kitchen and a good sized room in the basement which was used for rehearsals and an occasional meeting. It was sold off shortly after the WOW auditorium (lcm rename it some lame name I think) was built and Way Prod moved into it. Don't know what ever happened to it after that. That old church sucked for performances, and had lousy acoustics...just a nightmare for performers.

edited to correct for failing memory! :redface2:

Edited by Listener

WG

Yeah, that was during my unprecidented third year of association with the Fellowlaborer pogrom,I mean program.

That third year was a real doozy!

What was I thinking? ( or maybe I should say "was I thinking?")

:asdf: :asdf: :asdf:

What were you thinking? After that experience, probably not "Lucky ME!"

There was also a time the second year when we had to go serve as gofers, cleaners and generalized slavery for some "do" in Muncie, Indiana on a college campus. We went over on a Friday night after work and slaved away, I forget at what, and were treated like dirt by R**k P**yar* and fed one small hamburger and some salad or chips for supper about 9:00. We slept on cots in a third floor room in a building on campus that had been a mansion. One bathroom for 30 or so people. I remember the lim coordinator, J** M*lne, was livid, so we all chipped in money and Pe*** J** and J*** Gil**** went out into the wilds of Indiana to find a pizza joint that was open, bringing back pizza and pop for all. If not, we would have been starved to death in our little narrow cots the next morning.

The next day I remember so well because I had a screaming beyotch of a migraine and the future MOGFODAT saw me and told me to get some more fellowlaborers and sweep the steps leading up to the auditorium. I suggested maybe some WC could do it and received the displeasure of several folks for that remark. I said "I have a migraine and I'm lying down someplace." Of course no one had or offered to find for me any medicine - obviously I wasn't believing God for perfect health that day and deserved every bit of pain. But at least through the haze of suffering I have the sweet memory of having smarted off to the future Man Of God For This Day and For This Time And For This Hour Unto The Entire World.

WG

WG

Man, that one is foggy, at best. I think it was Ball State University. Maybe a Limb Meeting for The Way of Indiana? I think I might have played a coffeee house with PJ at that one. Then again, maybe I am confusing it with Rome City. Didn't we go there for some kind of work detail? I know for sure we went there for Karrie B.'s wedding and had to do set-up or something. Maybe that one was the year after you "granulated",dunno.

PJ and JG---------I don't think either of those two would have even RECOGNIZED a "high horse" let alone tried to ride one. They are a big part of why I actually have some GOOD memories of FLO.

Still praying for your son's situation.

Waysider(weeder of the chard)

:wave:

Waysider,

The Rome City adventure was during PFAL 77, because the WC were at that event and those of us who didn't go to it were conscripted to weed the never-ending Rome City gardens. Once again, we were fed inedible food (that I was informed was "Extremely Healthful and Highly Nourishing", to which I replied, "Still tastes like crap.") Your 15th bowl of familia was better than whatever that was.

The garden was awful compared to ours. The potato bugs looked like cherry tomatoes. Hard narrow cot, small amounts of lousy foods, and the mother of all migraines - again. Hot sun, worked like a horse, no aspirin.

It's a miracle I made it through that second year. The best thing about it was FL Night when my future husband would show up for that event and we'd sit together.

I don't think I went to Karrie's wedding. However, her twins are real good friends of my son. They are both college grads and have good jobs. Nice young men.

Oh, and pull the chard up with the weeds - it's the devil's dinner! :unsure:

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

I believe B & D are about 60 give or take a year or so.

Remember - their son and grandkids live at HQ's and have been staffers there for a few years.

Before that, Bri@n used to take care of the horses in Gunnison. Just shows ya what a college education can do for you! You too can shovel horse-sh~t in Colorado and use that 4 year degree to wipe your hands off!

How much you want to bet that they're re-assigned there once mom and dad move in? Who knows, they may already be there.

Anyone know exactly how many Wayfers there are in the UK? I was surprised when I heard that B & D had been assigned there, thinking there weren't enough people to constitute a small branch or twig area. Perhaps that's why they're coming back - there's nothing there to coordinate!

Edited by Hope R.

Anyone know exactly how many Wayfers there are in the UK? I was surprised when I heard that B & D had been assigned there, thinking there weren't enough people to constitute a small branch or twig area. Perhaps that's why they're coming back - there's nothing there to coordinate!

My understanding is it was a one year assignment, don't know yet if they've returned for any other reason.

:eusa_clap:

Okay guys,

Here is what I am hearing. WC is going to HQ starting with new corps. They are planning on running four camps at Gunnison over the next year, including 1 DTA and 2 Living God's Word as a Family. Also, they are making it available for vacations with no??? ste requirements. Should be interesting, as I, for one have not been there. Maybe I'll go just for the chance to actually see the place one time.

Also, they are making it available for vacations with no??? ste requirements.

Sorry, I'm not getting your meaning here... no ______ requirements? ---------Financial? Class-level? Way-involvement?

Wouldn't it just be a hoot if they had no twi-involvement requirements!? Weenie Roast, anyone?

Sorry, I'm not getting your meaning here... no ______ requirements? ---------Financial? Class-level? Way-involvement?

Wouldn't it just be a hoot if they had no twi-involvement requirements!? Weenie Roast, anyone?

Maybe a typo?........i.e. no set requirements.

:)

Edited by skyrider

DOH! Set Requirements... No set requirements on Gunnison Vacations...

Well, I repeat: Weenie Roast, in the Rockies anyone?

Not unless there's a java joint nearby.

Don't think I could do duo - would have to become a trio - Me, God, and coffee...

Then again, maybe God could turn my water into coffee of I believed hard enough!