GreaseSpot Cafe

We want to move -- where? Got any ideas

Dot Matrix

We want to move where

1. English is the primary if not the only language spoken. (Accents are okay)

2. We want to live where crime is low

3. Where there are no gangs or they are so few they did not go into the burbs

4. Where the Katrina criminals did not end up (Some folks fine, but the criminals hit certain areas and the crime spiked, and they do not want to go back, our crime is soaring as a result of our town housing "them")

5. Where maybe there is an older community so we are not dealing with teens

6. Where I can still work and I need to make more than I am now

7. Prefer some place without a lot of humidity

8. Where I can still have a gun for protection

9. If possible near water; lake or ocean

10. Where people have teeth. And no appliances on their porch

11. Where water is drank more than beer

12. Where single family homes only house SINGLE families

13. Where cars are transportaion and not lawn decorations

Without time travel -- I cannot return to the 50's or 60's. So, what do you think?

Any ideas?

Thank you

Edited by Dot Matrix

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lake of Ozark or Missouri are low crime and high Christian influence (it seems to me a lot of Christian ministries are there.)

Also Colorado Springs. That's where I would love to go. Beautiful place (near Pike's Peak where America the Beautiful was written). Also Focus on the Family and Messinger International, two wonderful Christian ministries are based there.

(Nevada is "the most unchurched State in the Union." The ministers who make the circuits don't even come here. Really miss the nice events that Sacramento, Denver, Florida, and other places we lived have to offer.)

Juneau, Alaska! Crime is way low, jobs are plentiful (wanna make$16.00 an hour working for the State?), the scenery is National Geographic, no gangs, fishing is awesome, no need for a conceal and carry permit, and life is way exciting on The Last Frontier.

Here is some info and some photos:

http://www.alaskastock.com/Juneau_Alaska_Photos.asp

But I also hafta say that that Hamilton, Montana area looks inviting to me from up here! More sunshine down thataway, but I have always loved living by the sea...

But Dot, truly you deserve to be away from the place that you have described in the past. The gang/crime thing would make my blood boil, and Life is just too short to have to deal with that kind of senselessness.

These cities are looking good, I will check into them better.

Johnny, if I made $16.00 an hour -- well what is the cost of living and how do I get hired?

Homes? How much and will I freeze to death?

ALASKA!!!!!!!!!! DOTS I live in Illinois and it's freaking freezing here! Long cold winters and Spring? Please. Spring starts in late May sometime and slams into summer for a few short months. It turns dark at 4pm in the dead of winter. ALASKA??????????????? Holy Crap! As Frank Barone would say.

Doesn't Alaska have a lot of wanted fugitives there? On fishing boats or something?

Even New England is too freaking cold for me. But they have really cheap lobster :lol:

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Waysider if only there really was an OZ, except for those annoying munchkins, I would love to befriend a strawman, lion and tin man

Kit is it HOT there?

Mo - I looked at Oregon before and it was compelling. How is the weather?

Bramble is there employment in out of the way places like that -- or do I need to have been born rich?

Rottie

Florida has a bunch of fugitives I dunno about Alaska

But with Global warming Alaska sounds good. Will my car start in the winter?

Rottie

Oh I KNOW that. I watch Dale Hinmann's "body of evidence" show in CourtTV. Any place it is warm you will have to put up with the tons of idiots who migrate there. But damn, don't go nuts and move to where it's freaking cold 10 months out of 12!

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Yeah, Eastern Oregon is nice. I know of a little town called Baker which is near the Blue Mountains which is soo nice. The economy there is not booming though. With the income that we have now, we could live in one of those quiet little places. To us, Juneau is nice, with all of the ammenities and beauty, but for me, it is still a bigger place than I want to be. Yeah yeah, I know, 30,000 is a small population. Someplace like Baker would be nice. And oh to smell that sagebrush again!

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv1579.php

And yes NaughtyGirrl :wink2: , Alaska winters are long. And housing here in Juneau are expensive. One can buy a 3 bedroom 1400 sq foot rancher on a small lot for but a mere $265,000.00 :rolleyes: And here, it rains way way too much. This whole Southeast Alaska Panhandle is a literal rainforest, although it is but a temperate rain forest. Up where Temple Lady lives it is way more sunny, although they get the REAL cold up thataway. But Anchorage where she lives is a bad little city on some counts.

And RottieGrrl, did you ever make it down to Heidi Fliess's stud farm?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Waysider if only there really was an OZ, except for those annoying munchkins, I would love to befriend a strawman, lion and tin man

Kit is it HOT there?

Mo - I looked at Oregon before and it was compelling. How is the weather?

Bramble is there employment in out of the way places like that -- or do I need to have been born rich?

Rottie

But with Global warming Alaska sounds good. Will my car start in the winter?

Hey Dot... I RESEMBLE that remark! :biglaugh:

Really, that's quite a wish list you have. My hunch is there's no place that has ALL of those things (near water pretty much guarantees humidity)... so, perhaps you and your hubby can quantify and put together some kind of weighted average or something.

Anyway, Arizona (not to mention Florida) has LOTS of retirement communities (which only have kids/teens as visitors to grandparents, for the most part not very often) which as enclaves generally do a pretty good job of keeping crime outside of the walls...

Humidity is very low.

But so are wages for most office type jobs (I don't know what kind of work you'd be looking for).

Temps are obviously high in the summer, but from fall through spring, weather is usually pretty mild. In the bigger cities, Arizona has high crime rates AND gangs... but the gangs mostly (not always, but mostly) stay in the poorer and/or ethnic areas.

I visited the Oregon Coast once... it was beautiful... but it rains A LOT and is VERY humid.

so, thar's my nickel's worth (inflation, ya know) of input.

counts.

And RottieGrrl, did you ever make it down to Heidi Fliess's stud farm?

NO I DID NOT. I've been behaving myself since March of last year. That's when I got a decent job and decided to try to change my attitude! Of course, tell that to Lou the pest control guy who is like 70 years old and married and wants to take me to lunch in his pest control truck.

Wow, I get the real studs in real life don't I? Maybe that's what is so attractive about Heidi's Stud Farm. You can live out a fantasy for an hour anyway. Even if you have to pay for it.

I think middle tennesssee is mighty special.

People here are salt of the earth. They take care of one another. I have lived all over the country and never run across an area as uniquely special as this. The weather is mild, the scenery gorgeous and the wildlife abundant.

There are lakes and rivers in abundance. There is very low crime rate, gang activity is virtually non existent. (The country boys around here know how to take care of themselves..lol) Kids for the most part are still respectfull.

We are within an hour commute of three major cities.

Even after living here for 14 years my heart gives a little jump of pleasure every time I turn into our valley and descend into our little slice of paradise.

Edited by rascal

New Hampshire has a lot of these qualities. If you live in the Lakes Region or seacoast area, then you're likely to make more money and be able to walk to work. We have no sales tax and no state income tax. The state motto is "Live Free or Die". Motorcyclists can ride without a helmet and there's no seatbelt laws (not that I think these are GOOD things - but that's more to give you an idea of the NH attitude.) NH is also one of the highest pet adoption states in the union - we have dogs and cats shipped up here to find them homes because the adoption rate is over 90%.

If you're interested in a visit, I'm a damn good tour guide because I love my state!

We want to move where

1. English is the primary if not the only language spoken. (Accents are okay)

2. We want to live where crime is low

3. Where there are no gangs or they are so few they did not go into the burbs

4. Where the Katrina criminals did not end up (Some folks fine, but the criminals hit certain areas and the crime spiked, and they do not want to go back, our crime is soaring as a result of our town housing "them")

5. Where maybe there is an older community so we are not dealing with teens

6. Where I can still work and I need to make more than I am now

7. Prefer some place without a lot of humidity

8. Where I can still have a gun for protection

9. If possible near water; lake or ocean

10. Where people have teeth. And no appliances on their porch

11. Where water is drank more than beer

12. Where single family homes only house SINGLE families

13. Where cars are transportaion and not lawn decorations

Without time travel -- I cannot return to the 50's or 60's. So, what do you think?

Any ideas?

Thank you

Dot,

There's one item in your list that I didn't see.... employment opportunities. I can attest that Rascal lives in God's country having visited her and her clan two months ago but don't plan to move there if you are looking for work in bio-medical engineering.

sudo

There are jobs, but the smaller the town, the fewer the jobs. The money comes from the tourist industry and agriculture, no factories with high wages. Service jobs are around, nurses can get jobs anywhere. Health insurance is always an issue with small employers(under 50 employees). I basically work for health insurance.

Hubby and I together do not make what he made alone when we lived in a big midwestern city. But we don't have gangs, poor schools, crime or traffic either.

I think middle tennesssee is mighty special.

People here are salt of the earth. They take care of one another. I have lived all over the country and never run across an area as uniquely special as this. The weather is mild, the scenery gorgeous and the wildlife abundant.

There are lakes and rivers in abundance. There is very low crime rate, gang activity is virtually non existent. (The country boys around here know how to take care of themselves..lol) Kids for the most part are still respectfull.

We are within an hour commute of three major cities.

Even after living here for 14 years my heart gives a little jump of pleasure every time I turn into our valley and descend into our little slice of paradise.

Ya know Dot, Rascal's idea here sounds mighty fine. That Tennesee is really nice. And, you could even go to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge! And while there you can see Lou Vuto, ex Corpsguy (uno-c-corpsguy! Mmmm, sorry bout that) who does an Elvis imitation act thing.

But then again, there is the employment opportunity thing. It may not be great there. And hey Rascal, how is the fishing down there?

All in all though, I would have to pick The West. But not so far south like where Rocky lives. I think you should take a nice long look at Hamilton, Montana. I have a buddy who builds custom homes there, and he says the place is booming. Summers are nice, winters are real winter, and it is way beautiful. The lakes and streams are very beautiful and clear. My friend, who moved there from Haines, Alaska, has been trying to convince me to come on back down to "America" (as we Alaskans call it jokingly) and move to Hamilton. It sounds very tempting. And if we did move there I'd get me some horses!

http://protophoto.com/subject.html?subject_id=188

Okay.. scanned through here, and didn't see this posted yet...

Find Your Spot!

This web site asks a series of questions about what you want in a place to live, then will show areas that match what you're looking for!

I found it works better to answer strongly on those things that really matter, and have no opinion on 'other' issues~

Enjoy!

Trust Safari to be the logical one here!! ;)

:eusa_clap::biglaugh: