GreaseSpot Cafe

We want to move -- where? Got any ideas

Dot Matrix

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

upstate New york has the finger lakes , several lakes in a small area.

the largest employer in many of these small towns is Medical, hospitals and nursing homes etc... very large employers.

Upstate has "snow birds" that go down south for three months and then hold this area as their primary residence.

If you like mountain range it is very close to the Aridonaks and the Cat skills.

The lakes are wonderful and we have our own napa valleys with famous wine makers.

Taxes are very high compared to many states and getting worse since we have the burden of 911 securtiy for the state.

It is a border state but we "like" Canada. which is less than an hour away. You do not need a visa if you travel by car into the mainland.

like boats??? come here.

our Senator is a woman ! lol some might have issues.

weather?

Well we have winters and a thing called north Easterns that get a thing called "lake effect snow" hello we can get some snow that is serious stuff.

But ONLY in certain areas.

not much humid days maybe a week or two in late summer.

Crime well as anywhere i suppose it depends on how much money you have to live.

my town is less than a mile square and we have 8 full time cops. no problems here but i do not go where crime is .

I believe all major cities are needy , Im a suburban girl a couple miles from real country living.

the land scape here is fantastic anything you want mountains ocean big city small towns lakes all of it.

many gradutes MOVE OUT of NY for jobs. large schools for DRS and NURSING anything medical.

and many retired folks COME BACK to die here for its beauty and peacefulness. hence the large medical employment.

manufactoring is gone out of NY .

your car wil be eaten by salt within a couple of years, and we have a very large risk for ANOTHER attack.

Whatever you do, do not move to the DC metro area, anywhere in MD, or anywhere in Northern Virginia.

The costs will eat you alive. The humidity will melt you. And there is so much crime that only bizarre murders make the news (ordinary every day domestics that end in murder, drug deals gone bad, and gang activity are all below the radar screen).

My suggestion (and I make this in all seriousness), move to Australia.

maine CAN be boring unless you don't enjoy eagles circleing overhead,listing to the mourning doves when you wake up and rear the paper on the deck with your cuppa,if you don't like fishing,hunting,bird watching,enjoying a day at the oceanor a fresh water lake or an old swimming hole in one of the pristeen rivers. snowmobiling,4 wheeling,hiking etc.

of course be prepared for a long winter.

crime is very low in the smaller places

but if i move i am going to visit Shrek in Far Far away land

Just because someone speaks with an accent or English isn't their first language does not make them an "illegal".

Ummmm dear -

To whom are you speaking? Did I miss something?

If you are addressing me, I am fully aware of the difference. When I say illegal that is exactly what I mean.

No offense but, when I wish to speak/live around people who speak english that is exactly waht I mean. I do not care if they are from Viet Nam - I want them to speak English. As long as I am moving and looking for a place to live, that place is a place that speaks English - be they here legally or not. AND I prefer to be around legal citizens.

Our ILLEGAL problem is huge. HUGE. We have clients who give us fake identification cards and they are too stupid to use the same name then on our new client sheet. Examples are numerous. We have been over run by illegals. Illegals.

Edited by Dot Matrix

These homes were owned by good people. Now, it is like South Central LA in a suburb.

Dot,

I have to say that statement disturbs me. When I lived and worked in L.A. I knew quite a number of people that lived in South Central LA. They are good people. People that I trusted. And contrary to the beliefs held by closed minded people, the neighborhoods are immaculately kept. Don't believe the news that chooses to depict the worst of an area for sensationalizing.

I have to say that statement disturbs me. When I lived and worked in L.A. I knew quite a number of people that lived in South Central LA. They are good people. People that I trusted. And contrary to the beliefs held by closed minded people, the neighborhoods are immaculately kept. Don't believe the news that chooses to depict the worst of an area for sensationalizing.

Well, not that Dots needs my defense, she is quite capable of defending herself (I wouldn't want her on my bad side) But in fairness paw, there ARE certain neighborhoods where the reputation precedes them (if I said that right) because I know the South Side of chicago is one of them.

And going farther back, my Mom, who grew up in Chicago, said for YEARS, (this was long ago) but for YEARS, when ever she took a vacation out of state, and they learned she was from Chicago, that would start with the Rat-a-tat-tat- stuff. They had it in their minds that Chicago was literally, gun fights in the streets, 24/7. Other people really beleived that! Of course, that stuff did happen I guess, but I guess the incidents that occured, on the North and South side really got blow out of proportion to where it became bigger than life. Like the last 10 minutes of Scarface with Al Pacino!

Edited by RottieGrrrl

Dot,

i'm pretty sure dot used to live around there too

Well, not that Dots needs my defense, she is quite capable of defending herself (I wouldn't want her on my bad side) But in fairness paw, there ARE certain neighborhoods where the reputation precedes them (if I said that right) because I know the South Side of chicago is one of them.

And going farther back, my Mom, who grew up in Chicago, said for YEARS, (this was long ago) but for YEARS, when ever she took a vacation out of state, and they learned she was from Chicago, that would start with the Rat-a-tat-tat- stuff. They had it in their minds that Chicago was literally, gun fights in the streets, 24/7. Other people really beleived that! Of course, that stuff did happen I guess, but I guess the incidents that occured, on the North and South side really got blow out of proportion to where it became bigger than life. Like the last 10 minutes of Scarface with Al Pacino!

I understand that. My problem is contrasting "good people" with people in South Central LA. South Central LA as well as other areas that have serious problems with crime and drugs STILL have a majority of "good people"

I think Oregon and Washington are the cat's meow. Whoever said it's humid, it is. But it's not the kind of humidity you get in the midwest because it never get really hot. The air is fresh, the land is lush, and you can find all kinds of outdoor activity there. I grew up in Oregon, so I am kind of fond of it. I have lived in 5 different states, and Oregon is the place I always go back to. I plan to go back as soon as I possibly can.

Dot, I suggest Longview or Olympia Washington. Grants Pass, Oregon is kind of nice too. I REALLY like Medford and Ashland, Oregon, but the housing is higher there than anywhere else in the state. I belive Longview Washington has a lot of retirees, and it is close enough to Portland, Oregon to be able to shop.

You don't have to worry about tornadoes, hurricanes, or many thunder storms in the northwest. You will see them in Eastern Oregon though. The only thing you have to worry about is an occasional (really) earthquake or a volcano.:)

Although San Diego California is the absolute most awesome place to live, housing is ungodly priced.:(

Maybe I'll see you up that way some time soon!;)

I think Dot is not crucifying any one person, but using that term metaphroically...as we do here in Albuquerque...We have a "south valley" but we know there are many good people there too, but I don't want to live there. Everytime Daddyhoundog works down there doing DSL stuff, he has to find a kid to translate.

Edited by washingtonweather

I understand that. My problem is contrasting "good people" with people in South Central LA. South Central LA as well as other areas that have serious problems with crime and drugs STILL have a majority of "good people"

i hear what you're saying. You're right. But the bad stuff gets more attention than the good stuff, always. Ya know? I guess that's just the way the world is.

Reminds me of some newspaper in the Chicago area (oh, man, this goes back years) where they were putting out a newspaper that highlighted "good news" only. I think it folded within 3 months. I can barely remember the details.

The South side of Chicago does have many hardworking people. To me, it's a freaking different universe. I only ventured there a couple of times in my younger days, to a dance club in a white neighborhood, (Eric the Reds on new wave night, back in the early 80s) and they pretty much hated me on site and in no uncertain terms let me know I wasn't wanted there. I never forgot that.

That place (the south side in the good neighborhood) gave me the chills.

North Side? Much more tolerant and acceptable of people. That's what I learned anyway. In my younger days I lived and worked on the North Side, I thought there was no better place in the universe for me.

Now I wouldn't go to any place in Chicago unless I had too. I hate big cities.

Anyway, I degress (as Sophia says)

Back on topic.

Edited by RottieGrrrl

I have seen the replies and I think the real answer to your solution is Washington State, Seattle Metro.

I am gonna tell you that this place is frickin' beautiful! Thick, lush forest EVERYWHERE. Just surrounded by mountain ranges, the Olympics to the west and the Cascades to the east......it's awesome. Mt Ranier always right in your face (14,400 ft.)

The whether is just damn near perfect!! This thing about Seattle having nothing but rain is pure myth. We have our wet season yes, but once the winters gone, Spring begins and you're talkin' nothing but beautiful weather from April-October, I would say averaging 68 degrees. It rarely gets past 80 - 85 in a hot summer. And when the winter does come, average temperature is about 37 degrees, very tolerable. We don't see a lot of snow, but plenty of rain in the winter, even then, it's just beautiful looking. Plenty of snow in the moutnains though, about a 25 minute drive from Seattle. Skiiing, snowboarding, and outdoorsman's paradise. You couldn't ask for better.

There's hardly any bugs to speak of. No mosquetos, no flies, no roaches. There's wildlife aplenty. Blackbears, mountain lion, mountain goat, deer, elk, and on and on. Oh, yes, and we're quite known for our Lake Washington, Puget Sound, and Pacific Coast. All are very nice.

It's very clean around here, everything's just, new looking and clean. Crime is low. You have your inner city crime like anywhere else but for the most part, not much to speak of.

California, and Oregon, and Idaho are all within easy driving range, all of which are also very beautiful, especially Oregon. I know someone had mentioned Eastern Oregon. Don't go there, we're talkin' brutally hot summers. Very dry and "deserty", well depending on where you go that is.

Also, British Columbia Canada is about 3 hours away. It is so awesome, I have almost even considered leaving this paradise and moving there. But I won't because I don't want to live outside the U.S.

I have lived in a lot of places, over 12 states, including Hawaii, and I'm telling you, nothing comapres with Washington.

It can be expensive though, specifically the housing market. It's paradise, a lot of people want to live here, and it shows in the market. There's a lot of money around these parts, obviously the richest man in the world lives here, so does the 3rd richest. But there are places a little further out in the burbs that are much more reasonable.

If you're looking for a great place to live, one you'll never regret, try Washington.

Did I sell you on it???

Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you, the air, there's something about the air here that will just blow you away. Because of the moutains, our location on the coast of the ocean, and all the forests everywhere, you will breath in and you will know you have never breathed in air so clean, and crisp, and full of oxygen. AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Edited by Lone Wolf McQuade

Sorry, When I lived in California I was there during the riots. I traveled through LA and went to Hollywood often. I never saw the good side you speak of -- so let me clarify -- It looked like areas where I have been where houses were not kept and people sat on porches drinking beer and listening to loud music -- uncharacteristic of a woodsy - out of the way - burb.

Not some of the finer areas present in any city.

Notta:

Although San Diego California is the absolute most awesome place to live, housing is ungodly priced.

I also lived in San Diego before moving North of there. I LOVED it but it was out of my range then -- I am sure it is now.

Edited by Dot Matrix

Yes, I forgot to mention that Eastern Oregon is high desert. They are pretty hot in the summer and get pretty cold winters. If you pick the Pacific Northwest, the coastal areas or the western side of the state is better.

I agree with L McQuade, the rain isn't what people say in the pacific northwest. It drizzles, but you hardly ever get anything that requires an umbrella. The skies are overcast a lot. You will either get use to it or not. The beauty of everything else and teh quality of life there surpasses the lack of sunshine in the winter months. The elevation is lower in the areas I speak of and hardly every get much snow.

:offtopic: BTW this is 2002 and the problem has gone up about 80% or so in 4 years

Here is an article written by someone about my County.

Leaky Borders Have Created A Flood by S. H.

Topic: Behind the Badge

Before anyone gets all cranked up and thinks that this article is going to condemn immigration, I am afraid that you will be disappointed. There is a divide in our country with people who fall on both sides of the issue, as to whether or not we should build the proverbial wall around our borders. Both sides have valid points with evidence to support their beliefs and theories. But, for the sake of time, let us look at how immigration, particularly illegal immigration, has affected a particular segment of our country. I am sure that none of you will be surprised to read my concern of how immigration has caused a tremendous strain on our criminal justice and judicial system. In all honesty, this particular topic had better be of concern to all of us. As I have said before, like it or not, a strong law enforcement presence is all that protects us from the anarchy that we see on CNN every night throughout the world.

Here is the problem! Based on the number of immigrants that are coming across our borders, the legal system has swelled to the point that its ability to protect our country's citizens from the bad guys has been jeopardized. Now that you have heard my hypothesis, I will attempt to make you a believer. The United States Immigration and Naturalization Service, better known these days as the Bureau of Homeland Security, readily admits that the numbers who pass illegally over the U.S-Mexico border is out of control. Despite crack downs at the border, every means possible is being utilized to bring illegal immigrants across the border. We have heard the terrible stories of immigrants who have died in boxcars and big rigs, but the practice is still in full swing with plenty of customers waiting to give it a try. Although the numbers of people who are being caught attempting to enter the country illegally has increased, the number of those who are not being caught is also increasing. Not only has the number of illegal immigrants increased, the number of births to illegal immigrants has also increased, with over 11,000 births in Georgia in the year 2002. As you have probably read, our homicide rate has already surpassed the 2002 year totals within the first six months of 2003. Of the total number of homicides that occurred in MY County this year, there has also been a marked increase of illegal immigrants who make up the perpetrator's list, as well as, those who have fallen victim to murder. The entire make up of our gang population most certainly cannot be labeled as illegal immigrants, but a percentage of them in fact can be. The MY County Gang Task force has now identified 171 gangs in MY County alone.

Now back to my original statement. I am not a proponent of closing our borders. In fact, my opinion is quite the contrary. As the old indisputable argument goes, unless you are descendants of the Native Americans, I suppose that we are all immigrants. I am not for clamping down on immigration, but simply for making it a process that is done in a legal fashion. Our country has been richly blessed in so many ways. If there is a way that we can share these blessings with anyone, from anywhere, I am all for it. When the United States begins to stand with closed arms, rather than the widespread arms of welcome that we have always had, we will find ourselves standing alone. We must be honest with ourselves. Even thought I wish that we could, our country simply cannot accept every citizen from every country who looks to escape from political and otherwise tyranny. We must communicate with our neighbors to the South, as well as, the entire world through a program of information and education that teaches the importance of legal immigration and the rewards that immigrants will find by doing so. For those who go through this process, we should welcome and assist them as they integrate into our country's populace. On the other hand, we must not turn our heads to those who are here illegally or attempt to gain entry illegally. Our system of legal responsibility is not only a good idea for some of us but is necessary for all of us. Quite frankly, our system of justice will never be able to keep pace with the numbers if some form of control and accountability is not in place. Legal immigration, through current and potential new laws that are user friendly rather than, red tape will create incentives for those wishing to enter our country to do it the right way.

One of our nation's mottos is that we are the "land of the free and the home of the brave." If we are to continue this boast, we had better add "and land of the legal." As our borders continue to leak around the seals, we must always be cognizant of the fact that leaky faucets may someday flood your entire home.

I read in the newspaper a few months ago it is estimated that my County has well over 100,000 illegal aliens

Edited by Dot Matrix