Dot Matrix

Dot said:

I want a quiet, Christian, perhaps older community....etc

Quiet...check

Christian...check

older (both the community and the majority of the people)...check

New Knoxville, Ohio, it is!

LINZEE!!! I said that too a few pages ago... :biglaugh:

I lived in Goldsboro, NC for a year after I fled from this "Christian" cult I was in... it was nice and quiet, seemed a lot like Mayberry... but that was 25 years ago, I don't know how it is now... maybe Pirate or someone else can share...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom no way..I live here in Goldsboro,altho, it is very mayberryish...I would never recommend anyone to move here..I am not acclamating to the south very well..to be honest..im not wired for it,altho I appreciate the beauty..the ocean has always been my love.

Oenphenile can tell you more..

Western NC is beautiful...It's very affordable with very mild winter's..

who is Pirate????

Edited by likeaneagle

Personally, I grew up in NYC so the city I live in now is about as small as I can handle.

I tried to live in a smaller city - hated it. I need to be near museums and culture. I need to have neighbors.

Are you raising kids? The school system will make a difference. Perhaps you should narrow it down to ten possibilities. I would want to move to a place where either family or friends are close by.

Cultural diversity can be a wonderful thing....my kids are better for it. I recommend it.

And by the way, if I might crow a bit, the town where I still own a home (but have been renting it out for a couple of years) was listed in Outside Magazine as one of twenty "Adventure Dream Towns" to live in. And the article is here:

http://outside.away.com/outside/destinatio...am_towns_6.html

And because of this article, there have been numerous folks from Down South who have since moved to our beloved Haines. Check it out.

Gotta put my 2 cents in here! When we moved here ten years ago, it was a tremendous change from Mill Valley, CA.

We were just north of San Francisco, and it is a very beautiful area. Then as we searched

for a place to retire we discovered East Tennessee.

We live in West Knoxville, and it is gorgeous!

We are close to a river, have a boat, live in an older subdivision with lots of trees. The home prices average around $180,000, and you get a lot of house for that.

We are also close to the Smokies, and a lot of places are an easy 4-6 hour drive.

The University of TN has an awesome school of Vetrinary, and is a big employer. The wages are average, and the people are great!

Anyway, Dot, we have been here for ten years and still love it!

Hap in your area the numbers may not be very different but I AM TELLING YOU and I live here, they are very different here over the past couple years AND you can not get a REAL number on illegals as they are not registered and are off the radar.

I am not going to argue with a guy, a very long distance away from here, but I almost want my Doctor (for whom I work) to get on here and confirm what I am saying. It is DIFFERENT, the numbers have SOARED and even 20 miles away they (the illegals) are soaking the landscape. It is a huge problem like it was when I lived in California.

We have grocery stores closing from the illegals - who live in the woods - stealing at the stores. We have health concerns as they are crapping in the woods. The mailman stopped delivering mail in one of those out coves as the illegals in the woods were craping in there. It has been growing by leaps and bounds. We have stores who closed their dressing rooms as the illegals are using them as toliets. Our Walm@rt is constantly being stolen from and my hubs has stopped two Spanish immigrants (unknown if they are illegal) from loading up baby carriages with stolen clothes -- he was just a customer and ethically had to stop them. We have had illegals pulled over by the cops, arrested in our parking lot and the examples go on and on. They are increasing, it is on the rise.

But you can think you know more than I do as I have lived here over a dozen years -- and you have never been here. It is okay with me. Enjoy...

Geesh....

Dooj - no kids

Tom And Eagle Goldsboro sounds almost exactly right -- it is near the ocean? I want to be bored.

Johnny

That is gorgeous!

I do not know about the hubs -- but man, I would do it

WW - AL is always on the news here with a tornado Thumbs down -- but thank you

Hap in your area the numbers may not be very different but I AM TELLING YOU and I live here, they are very different here over the past couple years

Dot, I didn't know I was arguing. I offered a site with numbers rather than opinions. that is all I did.

Since, as you pointed out, the data I linked to was listed by STATE, the percentages BY STATE would not change significantly in the space of less than 3 years. Which is what I said. Your doctor is welcome to refute me on this if he wishes. It is math, lady, pure and simple, math. The statistical percentage impact of an influx of new residents in the space of less than 3 years will have very minor impact when mixed into the total population of the number set from which these percentages are drawn (statewide population). What has happened in the town and county where you no longer wish to live, is anecdotal regarding statewide statistics and statewide population. There are areas of any state that are remarkable places to live, no matter what one's personal biases, including your current state.

I sincerely hope you somehow will find your utopia, but remember, the problem with utopia is that everyone seeks it. that means someone else might move there too, with cars or not, teeth or not, children or not, english or not.......

~HAP

I haven't been in your county either dot, but I picked up on several posts that seemed to me like scolding ... for you not accepting the diversity dogma ... sure they are killing, tagging, etc. but you need to give it time ... quit being so "racist" I agree with you Dot ... SHEESH ...

Wanting to live in an area where people are into the American culture at least enough that they want to speak English seems pretty reasonable. And considering the trauma you seem to have experienced, why on earth would you want to expose yourself to that again when you are going to great effort to escape it?

East TN on a nice lake sounds pretty groovy.

It is math, lady, pure and simple, math. The statistical percentage impact of an influx of new residents in the space of less than 3 years will have very minor impact when mixed into the total population of the number set from which these percentages are drawn (statewide population). What has happened in the town and county where you no longer wish to live, is anecdotal regarding statewide statistics and statewide population. There are areas of any state that are remarkable places to live, no matter what one's personal biases, including your current state.

Okay Hap

You obviously have an insatiable need to be right…

You are right. I am lying about our problems they are very minor there is not a problem with the illegals. It is a small percentage and it is not ruining our way of life, What was I thinking? How could I have been so deceived? It is math! A bean counter has changed my life! Praise Jesus!

I am so glad you pointed it out thank you, it will really help me tomorrow in dealing with the fantasy world I live in with 60% spanish speaking people invading where I work. God, what was I thinking? Thank you so much for your constant corrections -- they have changed my circumstances, now there is no need to move and things YOU have said make me so much more comfortable.

Wow, now you can sleep well knowing YOU are always right! Thank you so much. Now, my problems are over! you are a miracle worker!

I guess I can cancel the thread cause your brilliant insight has set me free.

Thank you so very very much! Praise Jesus, I mean praise the all knowing Hap! Who has never been here, praise his holy name.

And now that you mention it, crime hasn't gone up either another figment of my imagination! I am delivered! Poof! the Katrina people have all dissappeared as well. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Put away the Bible -- it is a math book for me!

Geesh...

Thanks Rhino!

Edited by Dot Matrix

I love you girl and have not forgotten the accounts you have given us of your first hand knowledge of seeing your area turn into something that once was a safe home. There are places that the animals on 2 legs have not taken over yet and I am praying you will find it dear one.

Edited by ChattyKathy

I have pekes, a whippet and two chow mixes...

Some insurance companies will not insure your home if you have a chow, G. Shepherd, Pit or Rot. Good point.

How many dogs do you have?

I'm a dog-lover too.

We have four (all Jack Russell Terriers, quiet, mellow dogs -- NOT), but anyway, come to find out that the county recently passed a law that limits the number of dogs you can have to 3. We have to hide one of them. To me this is a case of over-regulation and intrusion. No one asked me nor was I aware that such a law was being passed.

So anyway, something else to check on before moving to an area

Where were you during the LA Riots? We were in LA then. Hubby and I were both on the UCLA campus with our then 2 year old son and started seeing people running. It was scary when we heard that mobs were moving in on Westwood.

Dot, I did not understand that you were telling me your whole state is now given over to this "plague". Before it was "My county". Someone else first suggested relocating to another part of your state, an idea I feel was a possible solution for you. I have no desire to suggest you stay where you do not want any longer, nor did I suggest that, ANYWHERE. Would you rather I remove the state statistics? I thought they might be of interest to your search, I guess not, goodbye

Say - Dot, if you have enough input I'd go ahead and start your search. Let the opinions fly here without reading them. When you've found your dream spot - let us know.

That will save you a whole lot of grief and angst. You got a life to plan - why waste time here bickering about the future when you need to start living it?

Just trying to encourage you to walk away from a heated situation. Hope it helps.

Dot- THe real Mayberry town is i Mt.Airy..

I said I wouldnt recommend this area, even tho it is small and affordable, the downtown area which consist of 4 blks which is trashy looking...there is nowhere to take visitors to unless the ocean..Church is a social thing..There are about 200 Dr.offices and 200 churches that make up this area(huge Pentecostal andBaptist population)and they know if your not one....believe it or not there are about 30 percent hispanic illegals here too..seems like they like hidding out in small towns too..Its about an hr to the Pamlico Sound and 1 and a half to Willmington....

If your looking at the ocean...Elizabeth City (Kittyhawk,NC area( is beautiful)..down the road a peice is the Wild Horse Refuge..there are wild horses here in NC and Va.Im sure you have heard of Nags Head,NC it geogeous very pricey..the Chesapeake Bay is local to this area..alot fishing and Colonial History.

Edited by likeaneagle

Having lived just about everywhere, I can recommend Salisbury NC, population last I knew about 30,000 more or less, one hour from Charlotte, less than one hour from Concord NC for those who like NASCAR (Charlotte Motor Speedway is actually in Concord).

I can also attest that the Seattle area is quite lovely, though expensive. We could never have owned a home even in Everett, a fairly large suburb. You drive a lot if you live there.

I loved Charleston, SC but haven't been back for years. The humidity in the summertime is awesome, but so are the gardens. They had a police chief who kept crime to a minimum when we lived there, but he retired a few years back.

Right now, we live in the country, just south of a very small town in Ohio and 8 miles north of another, slightly larger. We are an hour from Columbus, which is swiftly becoming Crime Central, but I doubt if there is anything to offer the miscreants this far away. The winters are variable, from mild to will-this-never-end, summers are warm and August as you remember is humid in Ohio.

Housing is inexpensive, relatively speaking, but not so much as Salisbury NC.

Hope this helps.

If I were 30 or so years younger, I might think of Alaska. These old bones don't like much cold nowadays.

WG

Dot,

I just went back and read some of the previous posts on this thread, and I am astounded at the vituperation thrown at you.

I thought one of the great things about America was that as long as you don't harm anyone else, you can pretty much be who you want and live where you want and associate with people you want to associate with. I certainly would not want to live where there were gangs roaming the streets, property and sanitation were endangered, and I couldn't take my dog for a walk whenever we felt like it. In Salisbury, I would take Maxx out for a walk at 10:00 PM in the little neighborhood where we bought a very cute, slightly older home for a song. No problem. I

I don't care if the gangbang boys speak English, Spanish, Somali, or Martian. Everyone has a right to peace and quiet and safety. I think some of that may even be in the Constitution, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? The attitude that minorities rule has plagued this country for years.

If I were to decide to emigrate to France, for example, I would first be expected to learn to speak relatively flawless French, or be held in contempt by the native-born French. I would be expected to absorb and adhere to French culture. In America, however, I could insist that laws be passed that I could continue to speak my native language, and people who don't understand my language will have to learn it to convenience me. I would not have to get a job because I could expect the government to support me with food and housing on the taxpayer's dime. I then could simply steal whatever else I wanted, and the big stores like Wal-Mart would simply have to raise the prices the cover the cost of my theft.

A few winters back, we had an icy morning and my husband got a snow day, so he drove me to Columbus to work. As he was driving back on a two lane road, he stopped behind a line of cars as the car at the front of the line was making a left turn. Along came four gentlemen from another country and started to pass the line of cars, realized their error and pulled back into their lane. Unfortunately, instead of pulling in behind my husband, they pulled in beside my husband, taking out the left rear quarter panel, trunk and part of the left rear bumped of our car. They did $6000 worth of damage to my Honda Civic. When the police came, they found that not one of the four gentlemen had a "green" card or a driver's license. One of them spoke a tiny bit of English. The driver had already been cited for not having a driver's license and being in a traffic accident, as well as having no auto insurance, a requirement in Ohio. Their car was totalled and their employer came in a ratty looking van to pick them up. The driver of that car received several citations, but the state highway patrolman told my husband not to bother going to court because the guy didn't show up the first time and undoubtedly wouldn't show up for court this time, either. He said there are so many similar incidents to this one that if all the offenders were to be arrested, there wouldn't be a jail in the state that could hold them all.

Of course our auto insurance rates went up even though we weren't at fault. We were paying something like $1800 a year for comprehensive on two vehicles. Incidents such as this one are costing honest citizens, including those who have recently arrived in this country, millions of dollars a year. The fellows in the other car can thumb their noses at us, at law enforcement, and at America as a whole because we are so darn eager to please them, we GIVE THEM OUR RIGHTS AT THE COST OF OUR OWN.

Sorry for the rant. Just part of the problem as I see it.

WG

We want to move where

1. English is the primary if not the only language spoken. (Accents are okay)

2. We want to live where crime is low

3. Where there are no gangs or they are so few they did not go into the burbs

4. Where the Katrina criminals did not end up (Some folks fine, but the criminals hit certain areas and the crime spiked, and they do not want to go back, our crime is soaring as a result of our town housing "them")

5. Where maybe there is an older community so we are not dealing with teens

6. Where I can still work and I need to make more than I am now

7. Prefer some place without a lot of humidity

8. Where I can still have a gun for protection

9. If possible near water; lake or ocean

10. Where people have teeth. And no appliances on their porch

11. Where water is drank more than beer

12. Where single family homes only house SINGLE families

13. Where cars are transportaion and not lawn decorations

Without time travel -- I cannot return to the 50's or 60's. So, what do you think?

Any ideas?

Thank you

For 11 out of 13 of your requirements, I recommend London.