GreaseSpot Cafe

We want to move -- where? Got any ideas

Dot Matrix

Tom,

No offense taken. I was quoting the Statie who came to the accident. I've been run into by males, females, young, old, everyone and everywhere. The person responsible for the ultimate demise of the Civic was a young white male with a shaved head and an anxious expression. Oh, and our latest automotive mishap was caused by.....me!

Waysider,

The motto is "To heck with the diet, tonight we dine!" Bun's was arsoned to the ground in March 2002. If you look at the website for The Delaware Gazette in the bottom left hand corner you can click on a link to some of the pictures. My husband was doing his student teaching at that time and working there part time. The owner kept him on the payroll most of the summer, and he helped with cleanup. The owner was under-insured, and it took until January 2004 to get back opened up. If you are ever up that way, I suggest the 1 lb sirlion or on Friday and Saturday nights the shrimp Santorini. The Ceasar salad with grilled chicken is always a very nice choice.

Oh - German or Victorian? They are both lovely and eclectic. Haven't spent much time in either area, though, basically because we lived so far away.

Johnny - posting those pictures gave Alaska an unfair advantage!

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dot-when you get finished sifting through all the material here and you do decide on an area, something I do is find a good real estate agent who knows the area well and who has been around for a while. Then ask them where a good neighbourhood is. They are pretty knowlegeable

Jonny, it was just an observation from 'this side of the fence'... that's all.

I'd love to go to Alaska someday, maybe even move there if these old bones could take it...

...and the first place I'd look to live is next door to you! Bet we'd have some interesting conversations over the fence!

Well now Tom, I'd be proud to have you as my neighbor, and I thank you for that. We'd go fishing for king salmon too! And whale watching, and all kinds of cool stuff. And no doubt have some fine conversation. And as far as this thread goes, well it sure sounds crazy down there where Dot lives. I surely hope they can sell their house and get away. It would be nice if the problems there could actually be solved, but when we reach our fifties, do we really want to launch in to a neighborhood rehab program complete with all of the drama as well as retaliation by some mindless criminals? I wouldn't. I'd just want to tie up my loose ends and walk away. Kind of like when a calf roper throws on "two wraps and a double hooey" and walks away. You know; "I'm done. Let someone else figure it out, life's too short". Anyway, this has been an interesting thread fore shore. Hope all is well in Texas. My son is down in Amarillo and working with my brother in law building steel buildings. He is having a hard time with the heat. But he's enjoying himself and hopefully growing up alot.

Well now Tom, I'd be proud to have you as my neighbor, and I thank you for that. We'd go fishing for king salmon too! And whale watching, and all kinds of cool stuff. And no doubt have some fine conversation. And as far as this thread goes, well it sure sounds crazy down there where Dot lives. I surely hope they can sell their house and get away. It would be nice if the problems there could actually be solved, but when we reach our fifties, do we really want to launch in to a neighborhood rehab program complete with all of the drama as well as retaliation by some mindless criminals? I wouldn't. I'd just want to tie up my loose ends and walk away. Kind of like when a calf roper throws on "two wraps and a double hooey" and walks away. You know; "I'm done. Let someone else figure it out, life's too short". Anyway, this has been an interesting thread fore shore. Hope all is well in Texas. My son is down in Amarillo and working with my brother in law building steel buildings. He is having a hard time with the heat. But he's enjoying himself and hopefully growing up alot.

If your son ever gets to the DFW area have him call me and he'll be treated to some fine home cooked Italian food.

My sister lives in the Atlanta area and keeps moving further out. shes out to Cartersville now.

I live at a place that has everything you want except high pay. That is unless you are an investment banker, broker, cpa, lawyer, or any thing dealing with retirement.

We have the highest per capita income in the state of Texas. Dry climate. Housing is affordable. Similar to ATL. We have a river, lakes 50 miles away, larger lake 70 miles away, gulf 175 miles away.

WE HAVE NO STATE INCOME TAX.

This is the concealed carry capital of Texas.

I guarantee that you will see a cop every time you drive. Learn to control your speed.

the place Kerr county Texas. The county seat is Kerrville. Population 20425.

Moved here 21 years ago. Only problem is to many people moving in.

Rhino

It is both problems. The illegals are in the woods the Katrina people in section 8 housing. We got a double hit

Ex

That Texas thing sounds nice.

Johnny, I would love to live down the block from you -- it looks gorgeous.

I heard today about Bloomsburg PA. Houses are big and cheap and there are jobs.

I have heard lots about the Texas Hill Country. And, I have heard that there a bazillion gazillion deer down thataway. I have a friend who lives in San Marcos which is near there (I think) but, it all sounds way too hot for me, even though they do go inner tubing down the San Marcos River which sounds fun.

And Dooj, if The Boy heads your way, I'll let him know. But, how old are your kids? You have daughters, right? My boy is twenty and a little "hound dog". So....

Edited by Jonny Lingo

I had to hitch hike through Texas while in TWI. All I recall is FLAT.

I had to pee-pee and I walked to foind something to "go" behind. Only it was so flat people from the road could see for miles...

I found an ugly purple plant and tried to hide behind it.

I think I mooned the whole hiway.....

post-548-1178064619_thumb.jpgpost-548-1178064644_thumb.jpgpost-548-1178064662_thumb.jpg

Dot- I took a little trip today..and thought about you..so I took some pics..enjoy

Atlantic Beach, Moorehead City North Carolina

post-548-1178064788_thumb.jpgpost-548-1178064804_thumb.jpgpost-548-1178064821_thumb.jpg

these homes are going for about 1-3 mill, just in case you need a mortgage, I could help :wink2:

Edited by likeaneagle

I have heard lots about the Texas Hill Country. And, I have heard that there a bazillion gazillion deer down thataway. I have a friend who lives in San Marcos which is near there (I think) but, it all sounds way too hot for me, even though they do go inner tubing down the San Marcos River which sounds fun.

And Dooj, if The Boy heads your way, I'll let him know. But, how old are your kids? You have daughters, right? My boy is twenty and a little "hound dog". So....

Ten and fifteen Jonny - and Mama is a bear! :evildenk:

Ten and fifteen Jonny - and Mama is a bear! evildenk.gif

Oh, okay. If your daughter was eighteen or something, then I wouldn't reccomend him coming over for a visit. Because then you would have to "claw him" no doubt Mama Bear...

And, he does know how to be a good boy too...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Ms. Dot!

Wondering how your relocation adventure is coming along? Any place look good yet? Going to visit some places?

If you visit the Smokey Mountains... watch out for the 'Smoke' ^_^

Click the dancing happy guy=====>>>>> :dance:

Edited by SafariVista

Well, they just found burned body parts -- legs a few neighborhoods over from us and there was a murder at the Mac Donald's

We are frantically working on the house. My hubs is doing a good job constdering he is sickly.

We are still open to places, all the suggestions were great.

I really pushed for Alaska but Hubs will not consider it.

Life is different than what I expected.

God that sounds terrible- I'll be hoping you can find your new place soon, as it is I'll plug MY PLACE CLICK

Heres the The Wikipedia link

We want to move where

1. English is the primary if not the only language spoken. (Accents are okay)

Check, you will have to endure both Boston and New York accents though

2. We want to live where crime is low

Check, very low, everyone leaves their doors unlocked, more often than not my keys are in my car

3. Where there are no gangs or they are so few they did not go into the burbs

No gangs

4. Where the Katrina criminals did not end up (Some folks fine, but the criminals hit certain areas and the crime spiked, and they do not want to go back, our crime is soaring as a result of our town housing "them")

A handful came here from New Orleans, no criminals, no crime spike

5. Where maybe there is an older community so we are not dealing with teens

There has never been a problem with teens, my town has a college that is for high school age kids, so the teens are more on the geeky, smart, artsy side, than the violent stupid side

6. Where I can still work and I need to make more than I am now

Jobs can be tough unless you have your own skill, trade or craft, but can be had

7. Prefer some place without a lot of humidity

In the summer for a month or so it can be alittle high

8. Where I can still have a gun for protection.

If you want, the only thing you will have to protect yourself against is an occasional errant bear

9. If possible near water; lake or ocean

Lots of lakes and streams, about 2 hours from the ocean

10. Where people have teeth. And no appliances on their porch

Its pretty upscale

11. Where water is drank more than beer

Never did a survey, but I dont hear much belching in public, you are more likely to run into people that drink rare wine than beer though

12. Where single family homes only house SINGLE families

Check--zoning laws y'know

13. Where cars are transportaion and not lawn decorations.

check-towns are pretty quick to clean any violations, and keep up the image of the area

Without time travel -- I cannot return to the 50's or 60's.

It can actually be ahead of its time in alot of ways here, its very relaxed and easy going,

So, what do you think?

I live in a vacation spot, so the prices can be a little steep, and the worse thing around is the invasion of wealthy New Yorkers every summer who clog traffic a little, but it is a beautiful, relaxed and friendly area.

The economy mostly revolves around the arts community which is not only plentiful but mostly pretty high end and brings a lot of $$ into the area, its a good combination for me, I can hike or kayak, or go to a great art museum and eat at any of many fine dining restaurants and still live in a town with less than 10,000 where I know most of the people.

It can be a little eccentric (my town prints its own money) but I guarantee that you'll never find burned body parts down the street, maybe some progressive sculpture exhibit that might strike you as a little different, but no bones.

The one drawback for me is the winters which are cold and long, it would be great if I was a skiiersince there are ski places all over, but winter is not really my thing....

Any ideas?

wherever the heck you live, I'd be going going gone from there ASAP--wherever you decide to go---good luck

Edited by mstar1

Section 8 housing isn't the problem. Help in meeting the high costs of renting for people who, for whatever reason, are legitmately unable to do so, is part of being the charitable kind of society we are.

The problem, as one who sees much of what Dot is complaining about, is absentie or indifferent landlords who collect the money and do the bare minimum to keep the places up to code.

Landlords who screen applicants to see if vandalism and property destruction is part of their past, and who immediately evict tenents who violate strict leasing contracts, by drug use, loud parties, excessive visitors etc., as well as maintaining the property in a clean, well groomed, and functional , manner attract people who are using Section 8 to get on their feet and are honest hard working people.

:)

Its all true

even the few bears around here wont really bother you all that much

I watched as one went up on the deck the other day,.... then walked in the kitchen door,,,then came out a few minutes later with a box of Triscuits in his mouth ... and then ambled away,

Thats the only time Ive seen anything stolen around here.....and even he was reasonably polite about it...

Edited by mstar1

Dot

Remember that old saying,"All that glitters is not gold."?

There are places in south eastern Ohio that are absolutely beautiful. Rolling hills, winding country roads and plenty of nature in its glory are the norm. Neighbors are few and far between.

The tranquility can be misleading.

There is very little employment opportunity. Some people have reverted to a survival mentality.

Pot is actually considered one of the main cash crops. Meth. labs are becoming more and more common because they can go relatively undetected.

If you were to accidentally wander onto a property where such activity was taking place, your very life could be at stake.

Many of these properties are rigged with booby traps and tripwires Tree stands are not always used exclusively for deer hunting.( I'm not just parrotting the news media on this. I can relate personal experiences.)

Groundwater(private wells are the norm.) has been damaged beyond belief by unscrupulous coal mining operations.

Entire sections of Interstate Highways have been known to crumble into sinkholes caused by abandoned mines.

If you took a day trip to this area, you would fall in love with the sheer natural beauty that abounds.

My point is not to raise a flag of pessimism but to stress that it is important to do some serious homework before making a big commitment.

PS--- I do not live in that area but have worked there extensively in the past.

Edited by waysider