GreaseSpot Cafe

We want to move -- where? Got any ideas

Dot Matrix

Waysider is right. You gotta investigate all the angles of living somewhere before you start driving there in a U-Haul. Example; Years ago when Husband went to Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, I noticed a red corvette with the license plate "2 kg". I wondered aloud what that meant, and a friend said, "Oh, that's probably how much pot he had to sell to buy the car."

The friend's wife was assistant dog warden for the county. She told the hair-raising tale of the chief dog warden, who was investigating a complaint of two vicious large dogs that were running loose in the county somewhere. Drove up, saw the dogs running loose, guarding a large field of marijuana plants. Got out to try to find the owner and was immediately charged by both dogs. He had a shotgun in hand, fotunately for him, and by the time he shot the one, the second was in the air aimed for his throat.

The owner was arrested, paid a fine, and spent little if any time in jail. His replacement for the dogs was a 200 lb. mastiff named "Kilo."

I will say one positive thing though. There is a fine veterinary college at Ohio State, and a lot of human hospitals, some of them excellent in the Columbus area. You could live in the Sunbury/Centerburg area, or other outlying areas. There are quite a few Hispanic immigrants in the area, not where I live, but I haven't heard anything about crime in the burbs. There doesn't seem to be any particular crime surge this far away from Columbus. (about 35-40 miles). You do have to like driving, though.

I think the gun laws here are pretty liberal. You do have to have a license to carry concealed as I recall.

If I were going to live elsewhere, it might well be Maine.

Good luck and stay safe.

WG

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep maine is the answer but not leweston because the largest population of samolians in the nation live there

check out rumford or rangley or just western maine

i love it

i ws born here but haven't lived here all my life....yet~!

There is an area of cols. Ohio called "little Somalia." I would not want to live in Columbus proper, because there is at least one shooting and one arson every night. The outlying areas are nice and safe, though.

I sure don't want anyone to think for a minute I dislike people who are not white Anglo-Saxon protestants. However, living in a multicultural area is just not for me, especially at my age.

WG

Dearest Dot,

My hometown is a super place. Very low crime. Just across the Ohio river from Evansville, IN, where the pay is better. My nephew owns several homes and mobile homes in a small community just outside the city limits. A wonderful Baptist church is located there.

My brother works for the city and has had 4 children involved in sports/cheerleading and has his own underground construction business, so he knows LOTS of folks. In fact, at our festival last month, if he didn't know someone, his wife did, but if they didn't, her parents did. I swear they knew almost everyone that walked past us as we sat at a picnic table eating our food.

Sis manages the local emergency she1ter for women. Hubby owns an auto repair shop.

In other words, I think you would find what you are looking for in my hometown.

We have free festivals all spring and summer long. They are orderly and fun.

We have 4 seasons, but the winters are not bad. We only had a couple snows this year, but didn't even have to shovel the snow. It melted away quickly.

Plus, hubby and I have a boat!!!!!!!!!!!

What more could you ask for????

Love,

Me

Eagle

I do not know how I missed those awesome pics you took.

I LOVE IT

WOW

And my name on the beach

I LOVE it

You are sooo dang cool

Thanks for all these ideas and info

We had samolians come to the lawfirm I worked for, they were abusing their kids and suing people.

They were suing their landlord because the kids fell out the window.

When we sent for the hospital report there were many many things, looked like they hurt their kids to get money in America. When they came to the firm they would always have someone else say oh I am blaa Blaaaa, not so, last week it was HIM.

They always came in a village and filled the lobby. I did not like them at all, and being as they were the only ones I met personally, I can only hope some are not at all like that, but it is NOT what I hear.

Acts, sounds nice. I will run it by the hubs.

But I like what Like aneagle posted

Thanks everyone

Edited by Dot Matrix

Dot I live just west of you and I'd suggest looking that direction if your looking to make a move to an affordable and relatively safe and crime free area. I'm not sure what you are looking for but in west georgia we have a one house per 4 acre limit so if you can aford the 15k per acre entry price (and the house) you will find yourself in a decent neighborhood with decent schools and low insurance rates. Jobs are plentiful, just pick your specialty.

I wish... I played a part and planned a few plays but I can't get you a job but there are jobs here fueled in part by regional and national chian store expansion. Ride the wave Dot go west young girl!

Carrollton has a thriving square, thanks in a large part to Criag. There are many local businesses that are thriving due to local support and it seems we are in a flux of figuring out what to do with this severe water shortage and worrysome food and fuel supply issues.

Edited by herbiejuan