GreaseSpot Cafe

Momma has to Brag

Abigail

Dear Abi,

He is absolutely precious and so adorable! What a beautiful shine he has :D! Brag on Brag on...Thanks for sharing his shine!!!! Charter schools, what a great option! I am so truly glad you have that choice in this day and age for all the obvious reasons. If I had to school anyone any more I would pick home schooling, private schooling, charter schooling. All children have needs that can be addressed better in smaller and more specialized groupings. Starting them all off according to their individual learning mode gives them a real life tool. It helps so much to have a good and thorough assessment early; so that learning is enjoyable and productive, with the least amount of snags!

Love You Abi, RG

ohmygosh abi !!!! he is wonderful. brag on !

what is a charter school ?

Thanks you guys, he's tickled to pieces too. A charter school is sort of tough to explain. In Michigan we have regular public schools and we have charter public schools. A charter school is chartered by a university and paid for through state taxes on a per student basis (like a traditional public school) but they do not get any local funding through property taxes. They are run by their own individual board of directors. The basic idea was two-fold. First, it was to say that we could educate our children better (and for less money) if we operated on a smaller level and took the politics out of the boardroom. Second, it offers parents more choices on where they want to send their kids to school. For instance, you might have a montessori charter school - which is a very different teaching style than traditional teaching. You might have one that puts more emphasis on arts or music.

The one the boys attend is a leadership academy - the focus is on leadreship and responsibility. It is also a micro-society school. For the last hour of the day the kids run their own society within the school - they open business ventures where they make and sell goods or provide a service. They earn a salary, pay taxes, pay rent for their business space, etc. They can get ticketed for breaking rules and then must go to court. It's really a cool program.

Dear Abi-

Way to go. I don't like the public school system. I think there should be choices. And you son is great.

I agree with polar bear! Sometimes I think home schooling is the answer, but if this kind of school is working, maybe it's better.

Your son did great Abi - I also want to reach in a give him a hug. And thanks for that simple explanation. That the best way anybody has explained charter schools to me in a way that makes them unique from private schools, although I realize every state probably does things differently. I hope this spot grabs the attention of more families, because it looks like these children are really getting a much better education.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Abi,

How wonderful to see that cutie face.

My Nick is in a Charter School here in the Detroit area and it is for the Arts http://artsacademy-woods.org/info.htm it is great. Everything we do is a fundraiser but that is ok because at least we all know where the money is coming from and where it is going.

Nick hated school until he got here. Abi knows Nick's story too well.

Thanks for sharing that Abi.

I just came over here to post the picture. That we fun seeing your little guy while I was here.

PS

Hey, if anyone knows anyone from the 11th or F7 corps and wants to see a group picture head over to either of their Corps groups. I found it in my VERY SPECIAL STUFF and scanned and posted it.

Hey Abi,

How wonderful to see that cutie face.

My Nick is in a Charter School here in the Detroit area and it is for the Arts http://artsacademy-woods.org/info.htm it is great. Everything we do is a fundraiser but that is ok because at least we all know where the money is coming from and where it is going.

Nick hated school until he got here. Abi knows Nick's story too well.

Thanks for sharing that Abi.

I just came over here to post the picture. That we fun seeing your little guy while I was here.

PS

Hey, if anyone knows anyone from the 11th or F7 corps and wants to see a group picture head over to either of their Corps groups. I found it in my VERY SPECIAL STUFF and scanned and posted it.

PS - it is wonderulf to see you here!!!! Thanks for stopping in and posting the link. I know I owe you an email. I got caught up in something and haven't gotten back with you yet, but I promise I will. :)