GreaseSpot Cafe

Minivacation

Watered Garden

We want to go on a 4 day vacation when school is first out. We want someplace we've never been before within 8 hours of Columbus, Ohio and NO the cornfield is not an option. We had thought of the eastern shore of Maryland, but they are all booked up because the National Poodle Breeders' Association is having a week long convention there. (I am NOT making that up). Then we thought of the area around the Door Peninsula of Wisconsin but that is a bit too far. Pennsylvania or Virginia or even West ByGod Virginia would be nice. We like neat stuff that is off the beaten path. Never eat in a Bob Evans if we can find a Mom & Pop where the farmers all eat and gab.

Any suggestions? I'm running out of steam.

WG

I guess it depends a lot on the type of activities you have in mind.

If it's water you seek, the North Coast is only 3-4 hours away.

Put-In-Bay to the west and Mentor Headlands to the east.

Of course, you may have to settle for accomodations that are a few miles inland.

If it's more the arts, museum, theatre you seek, you might consider Cleveland.

You can't even begin to scratch the surface in 4 days.

And ,of course, there is always Jacob's Field.(Go Tribe!) and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Also, there's Chicago, Pittsburgh, Niagra Falls, Nashville and Cinncinatti as well as Lake Cumberland.

All within easy driving distance.

Let's see.. I think Holland, Michigan is w/in that 8 hour radius.

There's an RV camp ground at Holland State Park, which has several patrons at this point. There are also camp grounds and hotels in the area.

If you like biking and Lake activities, this is a nice place to vacation.. Many people think so :)

There are places to rent bicycles, and water ‘toys’ if you so desire :dance:

I personally wouldn't mess with Ocean City, Maryland, under the best of circumstances. (I can say that as a Marylander...)

But if you haven't been there before, check into Lancaster County, PA. (Amish country)

It is a really neat place to go, particularly if you've never been there before. Peaceful. Lots of crafts. Train museums (including a nice steam engine ride...the Strassburg RR). Good outlet mall.

No TWI.

Also, you are within an easy drive of Philly (Liberty Bell, authentic cheese steaks), Easton (the original Crayola factory), and Hershey (CHOCOLATE!!!)

From OH, it's a pretty easy drive down the PA Turnpike.

Im in a nice place but a little too far away to get here in 8 hours from Ohio(The Berkshire Hills in Western Massahusetts)*.

I can reiterate that Amish country in PA has a lot of charm to it, If you take the Pa Turnpike, you'll also be driving close by Gettysburg if the Civil War hold any interest for you.

"Edit-- I checked its 10 1/2 hours from Columbus to here.

Quaint, picturesque, laidback New England vacation towns and villages in the mountains, Arts, crafts, museums, shops good restaurants, theater, hiking, kayaking, etc if you are interested I can give you a rundown

Edited by mstar1

Then we thought of the area around the Door Peninsula of Wisconsin but that is a bit too far.

If you're serious about this one, it might be easier than you think.

(But I also think you would want more than 4 days.)

HERE IS A MAP.

(Driving time --- 6 1/2 hours. Total mileage ---419 miles.

Scroll to the bottom of the page -- to see the map)

No -- I'm not crazy for ending you up in Ludington Michigan. :)

There is a ferry there that will take you and your vehicle (any size),

across Lake Michigan to Manitowoc Wisconsin.

BannerMap.jpg

(Click the pic for more info)

You'd miss ALL the big city traffic of Chicago and Milwaukee;

You'd have a *sea cruise* for however many hours;

And end up fairly close to Door county.

Looking at Rand McNally -- it appears there is a road that goes up the coast.

I'm betting most of it is scenic.

You could travel all the way up to Door county,

or just meander and wander.

Whatever you decide -- have fun! :)

P.S. -- I have taken this ferry once myself, back in 1978.

My (now ex wife) was driving our wow-mobile on the trip,

and I was driving a 30 foot U-Haul packed with all our junk.

We were moving to Minney-soda, after visiting relatives in Muskegon Michigan,

and it was easier, quicker, and cheaper to take the ferry,

than pay for the gas for the car and the U-Haul.

P.P.S -- I noticed that on the Badger website -----

that their seasonal service started today. :)

Edited by dmiller

If nothing posted has 'hit the spot' for you yet, you could always go a little further and come out here to Phoenix and visit me. We were only 103 degrees today. Just think how nice it will be by the time school is out .. I'm thinking 115 to 120.

Lots of things to do out here, if you can figure out the magic formula to keep yourself from melting as you go from place to place around the city. LOL.

Seriously, all the places mentioned sound great. Wherever you decide to go, have a great time!!!

It would be a no-brainer for me.

New York City!

Gawd, I love that town. "The Bronx is up and the Battery's down, people ride in a hole in the ground"

Museums, Broadway Shows, the best restaurants on earth, shops that have unheard of items that cater to every taste, and some of the finest architecture anywhere. Hell, I could spend a day in Grand Central Station (maybe a few hours off to see the Chrysler Building). And then there's always some special event going on, a concert, a convention, a fair, and there's something going on 24 hours a day.

It would be a no-brainer for me.

New York City!

Gawd, I love that town. "The Bronx is up and the Battery's down, people ride in a hole in the ground"

Museums, Broadway Shows, the best restaurants on earth, shops that have unheard of items that cater to every taste, and some of the finest architecture anywhere. Hell, I could spend a day in Grand Central Station (maybe a few hours off to see the Chrysler Building). And then there's always some special event going on, a concert, a convention, a fair, and there's something going on 24 hours a day.

Not to mention that for the low admission price of ZERO, you might be able to attend a taping of either the Late Show w/David Letterman and/or The Daily Show with Jon Stewart! (which, if I were to visit NYC, I would make a priority... but that's me.)

NY is fun, you will never, ever run out of things to do, I can have a good time just walking down the streets of Manhattan and seeing what comes next, its so full of stuff. Its also a lot safer and friendlier than it used to be ( I think it got voted (surprise) worlds friendliest city a few years back.) Stay in one of the Time Square hotels and walk around Broadway, even an avowed country boy like me had a ball..

Gees Im not much help Im agreeing with everybody..

Where do you want to go excie, Im game

We want to go on a 4 day vacation when school is first out. We want someplace we've never been before within 8 hours of Columbus, Ohio and NO the cornfield is not an option. We had thought of the eastern shore of Maryland, but they are all booked up because the National Poodle Breeders' Association is having a week long convention there. (I am NOT making that up). Then we thought of the area around the Door Peninsula of Wisconsin but that is a bit too far. Pennsylvania or Virginia or even West ByGod Virginia would be nice. We like neat stuff that is off the beaten path. Never eat in a Bob Evans if we can find a Mom & Pop where the farmers all eat and gab.

Any suggestions? I'm running out of steam.

WG

WG,

If you haven't completely ruled out a mini-vacation on Maryland's Eastern Shore, I'd like to suggest someplace like Chestertown, Rock Hall or Galena in Kent County. Fairly small, quaint, rural towns, slow-paced and picturesque.

Here's a link to Chestertown, which also contains links to other towns, events and attractions in Kent County.

I myself have not had the opportunity to go to these places, but everyone I talk to who has been there loves it.

Of course, if fast-paced and exciting is what you're looking for, then yeah, NYC! :)

ok ms wg...........you can spend about 8 hours in a car... .........how about within 8 hours by plane.......you can get just about ANYWHERE!!!

I have a couple of buddy passes you can have!!

Janet :confused:

dang... all these suggested places look GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 2life

Wow, y'all these all look awesome. I forgot one detail, however, the reason we have to drive is because we are taking our two geriatric canines with us. So thanks, 2Life, I'll do that after Maxx and Sophie have "crossed the rainbow bridge." They are too old to leave in a kennel and I really do think Sophie is getting Alzheimer's or something. She is totally paranoid at night without me in the same room or locked in the laundry room in her own little bed.

We are thinking about lancaster co. PA but Southern KY looks good. Mother's Day is the busiest day of the year at the restaurant where my husband works part time. Next week I'll get him to look at some of the links. The Door Peninsula is definitely in the future tho'.

Any other inspirations? I will let y'all know what we finally decide.

Thanks,

WG

Door County is lookin' better all the time. Definitely 8 hours excluding the ferry time, which would be fun in itself. Took a ferry from the NC coast to Okracoke Island one time. Fascinating and peaceful. I found a winery I'd like to see. One more check with the husband and I'll try to find pet friendly lodging in that area., There's 5 in the AAA book on pet friendly lodging. May have a triptych made for us when we finalize.

Thanks again.

WG

• 2 weeks later...

AND THE WINNER IS..........

Northern Virginia! Abingdon, to be exact.

We really wanted the Door Peninsula, but it was a bit far and we will do that next year, hopefully. Abingdon is right on the border with Tennessee in Northwestern VA. Mountains, a nice trail through the woods, and an interesting sounding winery, all nearby. Got reservations at a pet friendly motel. Husband had a rough year teaching the little darlins' and wants a break before we start picking tomatoes (54 plants).

I want to thank every one of you for all your helpful suggestions. Hopefully we will get to make every one of those trips at some point in time.

Love,

WG

shucks we will miss you at camp on rangley lake

but the invite is open!! have a winderful time

my wife and i are spending 3 days next weekend in portland maine

in if you can believe it the honeymoon in a 4 star hotel on the ocean

fireplace,hot tub etc.

i have got to remember to bring those little blue pills!!!

We will be close to the Shenandoah Parkway, and most importantly, of course, a couple nice wineries and breweries! :wink2: There are other places to stay besides a Day's Inn, but this is one trip where we'd rather spend less on lodgings and more on everything else, especially the wine if it's good. :)

I'll letcha know how it turns out first of next week!

WG