GreaseSpot Cafe

Limoncello!

doojable

I have a recipe here in the house - but the directions are weird .... I found a nearly identical recipe:

Limoncello

1 liter of Everclear alcohol

10 medium to large lemons

1 1/2 liters of water (6 1/3 cups)

3 lbs of sugar (6 1/2 cups)

Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry. Using a potato peeler, take all the lemon rinds off of the lemons so there is no white pith on the peel. Place the rind-peelings in a large container with the Everclear alcohol. Cover the container and let it sit for seven days.

On the eight day, strain the the peels from alcohol; discard peels.

In a large saucepan, make a simple syrup by combining the water and sugar; let it simmer "fast" for 15 minutes. Let simple syrup cool to room temperature. Add to alcohol.

You are now finished and can drink it right away. - But it really should be served very, very cold!

NOTE: This same recipe works for arancello also. Use 10 large oranges.

Makes about 2 1/2 liters.

I just looked up another recipe and they suggest 80 proof (I'd use 100 proof myself) vodka - the cheaper the better. (The reason for the Everclear is that is has no sugars in it.( But consider that in college you most likely drank a lot more of it than you will in the limoncello.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LEAVE ANY OF THE WHITE PITH ON THE ZEST OR YOUR LIMONCELLO WILL BE BITTER!

Here's the link for a bigger batch - but it has photos:

Limoncello - again!

Edited by doojable

Right, everclear was supposed to trick the women into thinking there wasn't much alcohol in the drinks ...(I'm thinking floor parties in college where it is made by the garbage can full) It helped to avoid morning hangovers too, assuming you puked most of it up the night before... :drink:

Don't spill the stuff on your marble end table tops ... sounds sweet ... just like doojable :) and a little tart too :wink2:

That's a good thing, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
A friend of mine made a similar concoction, but with back cherries and vodka.

mmmmmm.... vodka!

Somewhere I have a recipe for homemade Kalhua too!

MMMMMM - gotta go make a drink....;)

I make something called Moose Juice... it's pretty easy...

You get a couple pounds of fresh cut pineapple chunks and put it in a big jar.... pour a couple bottles of rum over it and let it sit for several days....

That's it!

Serve over ice in a tall mug - and eat the pineapple - YUM! Very refreshing and will knock you on your fanny in no time! :biglaugh: