GreaseSpot Cafe

Tattoos on women

ChasUFarley

quote: Do you think tats on women are gross? Should they be hidden? Or do you think society is pretty accepting of them?

Just wondering...

Personally, I'm used to seeing them more now than 20/30 years ago. The first time or two I saw a woman with prominent tattoos I couldn't help focussing on the tattoos and nothing else, but lately (last 10 yrs) tattoos are just another area of cosmetology. Like make up or hair styles or clothing styles, they are just another option for the appearance conscious. Some women with a LOT of tattoos look sexy to me; some do not.

Society is definitely more accepting than it was a generation ago, and no, there's no reason to hide tattoos. That would be like putting a paper bag over your head. I follow the NBA and I liked to root for Dennis Rodman when he played. He didn't have tattoos when he was with the Pistons and he DID when with the Bulls. The difference is like b&w compared to color. I think today it's good that tattoos aren't instantly associated with only bikers and truck drivers.

By the way, remember that Orientalism from pfal about God has graven thee on the palms of His hands and how nobody in that culture would have a tattoo on their palm because it would be too painful? I have a tattoo place on my window cleaning route and couple years back I asked the guy if he ever had a request for a tattoo on the palm of the hand. He said he personally had not, but he knew of it having been done. Apparently, technology today allows that to be possible.

It's beautiful, Chas!! I love it!

I've got a small tattoo in an inconspicuous place :redface2: I love it, even these nearly 20 years later. I love the way it looks and what it means to me.

Who_Is_T-Om.jpg

The letters are black, the long part of the flame is yellow and the tip is red.

I'd love to get another one and have thought about getting one above one of my ankles, but haven't found anything I just "have to have" yet. I'm also hesitant to get one where it's always visible or difficult to hide. My profession usually requires working in "corporate America" and a tattoo could definitely be a hindrance should I leave my current company.

My son and my former and future daughters-in-law all have tattoos. The girls' tattoos are fairly subtle. The former daughter-in-law has a huge, colorful orchid tattoo that covers the top of one of her feet and is unseen except when she wears flip flops. The future d-i-l has something on her shoulder I only saw part of once. Son, on the other hand, has huge, colorful, not really well done tats on both forearms. He is presently a landscaper, so it really doesn't matter, but he has been in other jobs and in social situations where he had to wear long sleeves. He is very sorry he didn't listen to us, and wishes to have have them removed at some future time.

He also has a sunburst on the t op of one arm, where the shoulder joint comes together. This one he can hide.

I think that to me at least, the huge colorful ones that show all over the place are not very pleasing to the eye. There is a couple around the town we used to live in that are very nice, seemingly well educated people who have tattoos one every visible portion of skin, including the woman's neck, shoulders, and arms and for all we know everywhere else. I don't know what the younger folks think of them, but to me it is somewhat less than attractive. If I don't like my makeup or hair color, I can change it. But a tattoo is forever unless you are fairly well off.

To each his own, though. I have a relative who is a physician and has the Ohio State University block "O" on his ankle. Whatever makes ya happy.

WG

I have a very tiny rose that noone sees but me. My eldest daughter has several that don't seem to bother anyone but her maternal grandmother. :blink: Grandma's face.

I don't particularly like them but it's her body. I took her to get her first one when she was 17 so she wouldn't have a friend do it in the garage with a dirty needle.

I liked them before they were so popular when they were still a bad girl thing and 'taboo'.

The popularity of them now seems to take something away.

Great business for tattoo artists right now tho, eh?

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

I LOVE tattoos on anyone, except for my family. I wouldn't like it at all if my children got one. Thankfully, the issue has never came up. They're more into piercings. :rolleyes:

I work in a nursing home, and lots of my coworkers have tattoos. They don't need to be covered up unless they're on a part of your body that our uniform policy says needs to be covered. What surprised me is the amount of female residents that have tattoos. One woman said when she turned 65, she felt old and sad. So, for a birthday present to herself, she got a tattoo of a butterfly. I think she looks pretty with it. There's another resident who has tatooed eyebrows and eyeliner. She said it didn't hurt. I don't know if I believe her or not.

Chas, your tattoo is really nice.

Thanks for the comments and input....

Sudo - that SNL skit is a scream - love it! I'd never get a tat on my bumper like that - not enough ink in the world for that! LOL! :biglaugh: Besides, I've got the tats of a lifetime from my pregnancies with the boys and value those silver lines that decorate my middle and lower-middle.

The iris is a tribute tat to my dad. He loved them and his casket had a huge spray of them on it at his funeral. I took one and pressed it in a book and thought someday, I'd get a tattoo of that... that was in 1993... I finally for the tat in 2006! I guess I thought long and hard about it, eh?

I won't lie - it hurt - especially where you see the intense green colors - I thought that artist was drawing on my bones - it was tough to keep a poker face during that! The place I had it done was a real dive - a place frequented by bikers and shady characters - but the artist used better Universal Precautions than I see used at the hospital where I work - no kidding. He was also very gifted and took a lot of time to work with me on it - that's a custom tat - not flash. The healing process was gross, but the final results were worth it. I'm careful to keep it hydrated and not get a sunburn there.

Anyhow, I'm itching for another one... my thing is that someday I'll be mother of the groom, a grandmother, etc. - so I want something I can easily hide under clothing - or expose, if I wish... Since I'm self-employed, my boss won't care... :wink2:

I never did get any tattoos. There is a verse in the Old Testament somewhere that explicity tell s the believers during that time not to engrave any images on their skin. And so, even though that may not apply these days, I still have a problem with the idea. But that is just me, and I do not judge. But if I was going to do it, I would have a large ships anchor on my right bicep. Then, I would have the hook of one end of the anchor sunk into the pages of a big open book that would clearly be the Bible. Then, there would be salt crystals sprinkling down from above signifying the salt covenant that I took the day I was married and the day I was ordained, and, it would also be significant that I have been "salty" since the day I first went to sea when I was sixteen. The anchor and the Bible would also have that double meaning thing going on. The problem is, that verse in the O.T. is so clear, it would seem to be a very contradictory statement! And so, I have none.

Now, the cutest tattoo I ever saw was when I was on my interim year in Fargo ND. I was over at this gals house who seemed to want more than just coming to fellowship. And somehow, the subject of tattoos came up. I think she asked me if I had any. And so, she tells me that she had a tattoo, and could I "guess where it is"? She asked it in a mischievous manner, and so I knew that it was in some risque place. And so, I said; "On the cheek of your butt?" "No" she said. And so I played along and said; "On one of your breasts"? And once again; "No". And so I said; "I give up. Where is it?" And so she stands up, slowly unzips the fly of her blue jeans, pulls the front of her panties half down, and there peeking just over the hairline of her...ahem....was the cutest little teddy bear I ever saw! I was pretty shocked, but the cuteness of that teddy bear made me smile! And then she asks; "Do you like it?" And I told her; "Why yes, it is beautiful!" And she asked; "Whats beautiful?" And I blurted; "Well, the teddy bear of course!" Oh, the double entendres were so thick you could have cut the air with a knife! And needless to say, it could have been "on" from that moment on, but without verbally expressing it, I declined the "offer", and got myself outa there! Pretty funny, that...