GreaseSpot Cafe

Sopranos Predictions

nandon

I've just gotten into the show more recently via the repeats on the A&E channel.

I'm only in the middle of the 3rd season.

My curiosity got the best of me though, and I checked out some of the spoilers online.

Sounds the apparent fade-to-black finale has caused quite a buzz which reminded me

of the outrage with the final episode of "Twin Peaks" some years ago.

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

I was disappointed expecting more--

although I suppose it was appropriate

life goes on...

everyones left to wonder

I thought the quick switch to black was a bit of a cheap shot, although it was indicative of Soprano's life--a big buildup of intensity but you just dont know what, if anything, happened.

Did someone get killed, or were they just eating Onion Rings?

Chase had to leave the Movie options open

Edited by mstar1

Yeah, the switch to a black screen while Tony is looking up as Meadow is supposed to be walking in after she has a hard time parallel parking her car??? What does it mean? Even though Phil Leotardo is dead, is he still freaked out about retaliation from NYC Mob memebers? It seemed he was watching every person walking through the place.

They left it like "OK, here's another day in a mob boss' life". Now he's enjoying dinner with his family after they had all locked down for fear of being killed.

Yes, I was disappointed as well. I wonder if the movie picks up from the restaurant scene. I wonder if the movie will be worth seeing. If there is a movie. Dammitanyhow!!

I'll miss this show, like I do Six Feet Under and Sex in the City. I've probably missed as many episodes as I've seen, but I really have enjoyed this series when I've been able to catch it.

I was sure Paulie was gonna whack that cat any minute and laughed myself silly when he had that broom and was ready to connect with the cat, but Tony showed up in time to save the cat. I also thought the cat had a bomb or some sort of gps chip. I especially love that Paulie character - such a predictable total stereotype - he made me laugh week after week.

I thought Meadow would have to watch the restaurant blow up as she finally finished parking her car - I kept thinking she must be the only Soprano that would survive. Then I kept thinking that the truck driver looking guy was a hitman and I thought Tony was acting awful relaxed for what felt very suspenseful to me. Then the nervous-looking guy entered and I thought HE must be the hitman. Notta - I'm surprised to hear you say you thought he was watching every person that entered the place - I thought he was awful nonchalant there.

I got a kick out of the way they each took an onion ring and ate the entire thing at once - they sure seemed like normal folks to me at that moment. I kept thinking of their autopsy reports - those onion rings might be mentioned.

I was disappointed with the way it ended, but if there's going to be a movie, I'll be in the theater.

I don't/haven't watched it, but dangit if I didn't wish I did given all the hooplah over it.

Robin Roberts on GMA this morning said she thought her cable had gone out. :biglaugh: I suppose that's one way to make a memorable ending - give all your viewers a heart-attack thinking their cable went out at the most crucial point of the show.

I thought Meadow would have to watch the restaurant blow up as she finally finished parking her car - I kept thinking she must be the only Soprano that would survive. Then I kept thinking that the truck driver looking guy was a hitman and I thought Tony was acting awful relaxed for what felt very suspenseful to me. Then the nervous-looking guy entered and I thought HE must be the hitman. Notta - I'm surprised to hear you say you thought he was watching every person that entered the place - I thought he was awful nonchalant there.

He didn't seem nonchalant to me. Remember him watching every person who walked through the door? And the ending is him looking at the door before the screen went black? I think if the movie does start up at this point, we will be expecting to see Meadow. It will be interesting to see who it is.

I hate when things end abrubtly like that. Remember when the Matrix 2 and 3 were split up right in the middle of a scene?

Ditto on the TV going out! We have brown outs all the time in the summer. When the credits came on a few seconds later I thought - "that CAN'T be IT!" But it was.

There have been a lot of articles written about the ending this morning - and tons of blogging going on!

The NY Times is a good one, and one from Newsweek as well.

Did anyone watch "John from Cincinatti" ? Very odd.

BTW, I was mistaken - David Chase was "The Sopranos creator". David Milch produced "Deadwood". Both are amazingly good writers/directors/producers, IMO.

"Big Love" tonight- I'm going to try it again this season - I couldn't seem to wrap myself up in it last year - it was a bit too unbelievable for me.

I will miss "The Sopranos" - but there was so much time between seasons anyway, I sort of got used to it not being on TV.

Hope

PS The ending to "The Tudors" left me wanting more... but we all know what happens anyway... Poor Anne...

Notawayfer - I, too, am obviously an HBO/Showtime junkie. "Weeds" will soon be returning soon! And they also have a bunch of new shows that will be starting in the next month or so.

I faithfully watch "Ugly Betty" as well, but have also given in to "Heros" and am hooked. There are a few good non-network series like "The 4400" I'll be watching this summer because nothing else is on.

Edited by Hope R.

Another opinion to give some thought (on an MSNBC blog)

Since the whole series was based on Tony’s life it is appropriate to believe that the fade to black meant he was dead, I mean, when him and Bobby were talking by the lake they said, “when it happens you probably don’t even hear it, it just goes black” so that makes sense.” — Anna
Edited by Hope R.

Satori on the other thread said

Bobby Bacala said that when you die, "everything goes black."

Bobby learned that first hand, and never will know the fate of Tony and his family, the outcome of Phil's war.

The apparent hitmen in the diner weren't gunning for Tony and his family. The last thing we knew, Meadow was on her way in - then it all went black and quiet, and everything we knew of Tony's world was suddenly gone.

How did we buy the farm? Shot maybe? Stabbed? Blown up? It hardly matters. They couldn't let us live. We knew too much.

which is plausible an explanation as Ive heard anywhere