GreaseSpot Cafe

ON RAINBOWS

Thought we might enjoy this site:

Reading Color and Light

There are a gazillion other good sites. Just do a search on ?color wavelength? on any good search engine.

I disagree with Zix. Harmonics do occur in light. Period.

I agree with Zix. Just not within the quite narrow spectrum of visible light. Period.

icon_wink.gif;)-->

Mike, the sun's nimbus around the shadow of an airplane in the middle of a full-circle rainbow would make a great view.

Reminds me somewhat of the bible?s more psychadelic visions, where the shape of a man has both bright light and a rainbow around his head.

Imagine holding a mirror between you and the sun while facing a light mist.

Would a square or triangle mirror make a difference?

How might a concave or convex mirror change things?

btw ? this is not a quiz. I have never tried it. I do not know the answers. Just wondering in public.

Rainbows, it seems, are not really in one place. If we were standing side by side, each of our rainbows would be appear in a different place. The rainbow we see is really on the flip-side of the prism of our eyes, though the light itself is not.

For me, thinking of rainbows gives new meaning to that ole' bible promise to Noah. Or even an old Norse myth I read once or twice.

tng

Sirguess: Yes, I meant within the context of rainbows. All EM radiation has higher harmonics. The circular rainbows around shadows are usually called "glories" and can be seen around your own head if you look into a foggy valley with the early morning sun behind you. This is another trick the bull.... self-help gurus try to pawn off as "empowerment"--they let you "firewalk" the night before, then fake you out at dawn with your "glory".

I saw a rainbow in the sky

was red and green and yeller

until an agrument ensued

between two other fellers;

was there one or two or three?

did they reflect my shadow?

were their refractions just for me?

or more prismatic laddos?

I thought I better check my books

to see if my brain worked right

and then I thought, oh what the hell...

I'll trust to know what I like

The beauty of the arky hues

all in their proper order

were not hampered by my woeful lack

of knowing what I oughter

so til He comes or til I go

my awe at Nature's high signs

will be free from heady "gotta knows"

and the value placed on my time.

(hic)

Barkeep...another round for my colorful friends...

X

M

good thing I'm not God...there'd be a flood every other weekend

Rainbows? Harmonics? Man! I'm getting' to like this place more and more everyday. It's good for my soul. Ex, sorry about my comments the other day. No offense intended.

"the visible portion of the spectrum subtends less than a full octave of frequencies"? That went over my head like a shot. Had to get the video and do a stop-action just to get a look at it. I'm still looking at it with a magnifying glass.

And by the way, I ain't walking on no coals just to git a rainbow over my head.

MATILDA, put your money away and lets lock the door. The bar is open!

Seaspray: In music, when you go up an octave, you double the frequency of the sound. So, if you have a 440Hz tone (which is the note "A"), the "A" in the next octave up on the piano will have a frequency of 880Hz. This nifty phenomenon makes all sorts of harmonious musical mixtures possible.

Visible light, on the other hand, only has a range of 400-700nm--not enough to see "chords" or even a harmonic. If we could see just a little farther down into the infrared (800nm), then deep violet (400nm) would be a harmonic of that color.

I suppose that harmonies of light, like music, do not necessarily have to double in frequency to harmonize. There are octaves, but there are also 7 basic notes to consider within the octave. Some sound great together without having to double the frequency.

A note with another, just 5 half-steps away (out of 12 in an octave) will get you a good sound. 7 half-steps will too. These are simple, but a blend of frequencies (chords), even within an octave, will produce some sort of resonance.

Jump 11 half-steps and you get a beautiful oscillation (wobble) that you can set time to, though it would take something like 11 more repeated octaves of it before it was clean again. And even by then, it might just sound like a train wreck. I need more strings! Thank God for music software.

In other words, harmony does not just happen when you jump a perfect octave. A 2 to 1 ratio is clean, but a frequency that fits inside 2/3 of an "octave" would sound good over 3 octaves, no?

What about color?

The relationship between primary and secondary colors remind me of chords?

Heerz a thought:

If the frequency of what we refer to as "spirit" cannot be seen because it is beyond the range of our visible spectrum, then it would make sense that there is both higher and lower frequencies of spirit, or maybe: supernatural and sub-natural colors?

Or even sound. We can only hear certain frequencies (even with gadgets). If whatever spirit IS makes sound, would it not be both above and below what we can hear. Not just above.

I guess what I am wondering now, is if the supernatural (higher and low harmonics of light and sound) are often regarded as being ONLY higher, or ONLY lower, depending on the slant of one's religious faith, or favorite cosmological model.

Thanks for the poem, Matilda. Did you write it? If not, it would seem that the conversations on this thread happened to someone else before (and they probably have).

Mike, yer getting addicted.

icon_wink.gif;)-->

tng