GreaseSpot Cafe

Windows Vista Ultimate

igotout

Anyone else here using Ultimate? I like it so far but you should have no less than 2GB and PCIE graphics and SATA eveything. That's a start. You also have to turn off all kinds of "features" and tweak the hell out of it. Also, only use latest generation software and drivers which are Vista ready. Otherwise don't bother.

You'll just end up whining like everybody else about how much faster Pro is. Reminds me of all the whining that occurred when XP came out and how 98 was so much more stable, etc. Get on with it already. :biglaugh:

Edited by igotout

My laptop uses Vista..

for two months, I couldn't log on to the wireless network at school (that was one reason I got the laptop)

Daggone thing won't let me log in as "administrator".. I'd like to play with a Dos prompt, I can now, but 95% of the files won't let me without administrator priviledges..

No, if I can, I'm really not going to "shoot myself in the foot" with the thing..

:biglaugh:

for that matter, I can't upgrade the manufacturer's fix for the bios. No administrator priviledges..

Other that that, it looks "pretty".

Yeah, xp took about 3 years to get the major problems fixed.

Works pretty good now and there is a lot of freeware around for it.

Linux is coming along nicely with it's different distros. Though it's abilities are limited to those who really want to learn a whole new online life, forget about everything you have learned about xp, and you can get to know linux. I tryed it and it works fine though not mainstream, get the job done quick for the beginner. You need a little know how, which is readily available.

Mac, I have no clue about...lol...need to though, it's a must for computing science and streamlining.

So now we have what 6 new vistas, o joy, i'll wait for the first service pack for sure before getting on that boat.

xp home and pro do what i want them to do. for others this isn't the case

good luck and i do hope ms gets a clue to who really is supporting them

ms has already been caught tracking word documents, i wonder what's built into vista to track anything

boils down to the integrity of the people ruinning and in the company

cuz all it takes is one dishonest person to screw a lot people.

i hope the laws are enforced and expanded to include more prison time rather then fines

Hey ChasU, a few places to look and get acquinted with linux

http://www.linux.com/

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php

use the search to find threads about linux-very informative

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://www.gentoo.org/

2 of the popular ones, though there are quite a few

some will run very fast on even an old pentium with as little as 32mb ram

one called linuxpuppy or something

then there's 'Wubi"

an auto install program for linux that does not reformat and partition any of your drive

but runs as a virtual drive-fully installed and remembers your settings-unlike a live cd

a live cd lets you run linux without changing anything on your computer

but it doesn't remember your settings, but it's a good way to check out linux

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/ind...hp?topic=8326.0

a suggestion if you are going to use Wubi-

if you have an old hard drive, 10 or 20 gigs, add it to your system and set as slave

make a folder on the slave-wubi

install wubi on the slave in that folder

choose settings and choose the slave drive for your ubuntu

and there are others to choose from-

xunbuntu

kubuntu

xubuntustudio

it's easy to uninstall

just from add-remove programs and delete the grub file

--------------

if you download the iso image file of any linux

it will fill up a cdrw or cdr usually

after downloading a iso file

from your burning software-i use nero

choose burn image to disk

scroll through types of files to 'iso'

choose the file and the disk drive and burn

you should now have a live cd and also an install option

if you choose the right download

John, are there things Vista can do that's worth the switch from XP.

Yeah. Lots. Plus it looks great on a big ole screen or TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vista_Flip_3d.png

http://news.com.com/2300-1012_3-6034529-1....?tag=ne.gall.pg

Networking is way more solid and easy to set up.

Vista installs much faster than XP.

I like it a lot better than XP but it takes hard work to turn off all the crap that gets in the way of the goodies.

Read up on it.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=132

http://www.techlifeweb.com/vista/2006/10/1...ta-experts.html

It's here to stay whether you like it or not.

Better than Apple for sure.

And u better have minimum 2gb...trust me on that. Best if u have Core2Duo also.

One thing bad...it is slower to start up. They gotta fix that somehow. Mine take a ful 90 seconds while my Pros can be as fast a 60. Thats in a network envioromnet, however with mapped network drives and such. But you can leave it on for weeks anyway. It hibernates if you are worried about power.

Edited by igotout

John - just for conversation sake (and learning)... (read: Chas ain't trying to pick a fight here...)

How is it better than Apple? Apple has a new OS coming out and has Apple TV. I've found networking is much simpler and I don't miss the tweaking of the Windows all the time...

Since you're a techy, I'm wondering what your take is on it...

John,

How is networking easier. I just run the network wizard on all my computers and it's setup.

I have a folder on my desktop with shortcuts to all my computers in it.

Loading faster is sure a plus, but the system requirements leaves a lot of people out of Vista.

I reckon I'll have to look into it soon enough for myself.

I'll probably upgrade my computer one day.

Huh?

Loading is NOT faster in Vista. I see you have not used it much. Installing is faster...not loading.

Anyway,Vista Networking has completely been rewritten from the ground up. Better by far than XP.

Macs vs PC's? Read up on this debate.

I have never used a Mac. I'm no expert. But from all I've read they suck compared to PC's and slower. Some disagree. I have never liked them. The last one I looked at the mouse was funny. Press down on the shell to click....no way for me.

Ipods are hot.

Anyway,Vista Networking has completely been rewritten from the ground up. Better by far than XP.

How so?

And if you have never used are fluent in Mac or Linux or Unix, how can you make such statements without any actual experience?

Everyone has an opinion according to their experience usually.

I prefer xp right now because I know it and know most of what it can do.

If I had experience with the other os I would have a different opinion, perhaps.

Plus I'm sick and tired of ms, the primary os of the day, to be setting standards that are more friendly to them and not the end user.

I believe they are quite paronoid, whereas open source is much more configurable and can be tailored to the users needs.

I've run Linux and ms and find pros and cons to both.

As far as Vista is concerned, I'm asking you the diff between xp and vista and still no workable answer.

Though I will be using Vista in the future, most likely.

I don't mean to sound too harsh John and I apologize.

The statements you are making don't jive with your experience.

I've read reviews and found them wrong and liked what was reviewed.

For instance ie7pro is being promoted now and it sucks.

The promoters of it flooded message boards all over the internet.

I tried it on my test computer and it did poorly and screwed my computer.

Took a bit to get it back to normal.

But there is one example of reviews being wrong.

Whatever.

Just Google to find all your workable answers and opinions.

I don't have time. Use what u think is best. Or you can do like some I know who have decided not to use a computer anymore. Including some young people. Too much work.

Whatever?

I don't want opinions, already got yours.

If some don't want to use a computer then they have that right.

I can teach them how to make good use of whatever they have.

It's simple really. Just some people complicate matters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hahaha, when I got online, windows wasn't able to be used yet on the net. The good old days when everyone was using a unix shell account and things got done easily. Once the net got popular though and 'heard about', along came windows and Macs and GUI to the internet. *sigh* That's when I got my first ever spam email and started hearing about viruses.

I stayed with my dumb term and modem to my shell for a long time, then even after getting a computer didn't use windows and a PPP account, stuck with my shell since I mostly did IRC anyway and owning the network it was easier to already be in a shell with screen installed so I could open a new window and do any work needed on the code. I won't go into all I have to go thru to even get to the shell account today using windows, it would be a book. LOL, *big* difference.

My downfall was having windows 3.1 on that first computer and learning about games. I was an instantly hooked gamer and today build my own windows computers so I can play the 100+ games I have amassed over the years. I also moved and the ISP's of today don't offer shell accounts anymore really. I still have one on the box my IRC network runs on of course, but the other 13 I had scattered around the world way back when are all long gone as the little ISP's got bought out by the big guys.

I still remember having to learn to use windows. I think the guys online in IRC who helped me wanted to shoot me on a daily basis ... it was soooo hard to learn and I always had to know where my mouse was cause I couldn't type in my commands anymore, I had to use that darn mouse to point and click at little things on the screen. *sigh* Soooo much slower and I was at that point in time sitting on a love sofa at a makeshift desk out of boxes, so constantly lost that mouse under the cushions. I did finally learn and made the transition much to the guys relief and was functional in pIRCh without their help anymore.

So there ya have it from the odd one who learned all this stuff backwards so to speak and had to go from unix to windows instead of the normal windows to trying out unix. These days I'm running FreeBSD on my IRC box and am very pelased with it. Didn't see it mentioned in other posts, so wanted to get the name out there for those thinking of trying out the different flavors of *nix. It's closer to unix than linux and since I learned on a DEC 2100 box (that was such a sweet machine the ISP/my boyfriend had), I'm still inclined to go with the proggies that use unix commands instead of linux. There is a different in quite a few of them, even in the simple IRC stuff I do. I already was comfy with it all though, so the changes in the way a few commands were typed just depended on my remembering them ... or typing them wrong and watching the box yell at me. LOL. Windows was much harder for me to learn than unix when it came to internet stuff, but I realize that very few will ever agree with me. Had I learned windows first, I probably wouldn't feel the way I do either, but I didn't so for me it was harder to learn after using unix for 5 or 6 years in here.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Biker, that goes way back. You should have bought a hundred shares of a small company called Microsoft back then. Ha, ha. (Or IBM for that matter.) Those ould be worth millions maybe by now.

I still like Vista but I like Pro more I think because I am in a comfortable rut.

We'll all be using Vista in a matter of years so I might as well get used to it.

Edited by igotout

My Friend put a program called "My Virtual PC" Which makes it available to run XP or any (I think...) operating system in a window within Vista. I have good speed so it is like having a pc within a pc. This way I am hoping to wait out Vista's ironing out its flaws!

I have Vista Home Premium and a dual processor and broad band cable so I am not noticing slowness. I like Vista except for all its program incompatibles. I like Bejeweled from Pop Cap Games but it now runs slow on both XP and Vista. Is there any place to find patches for program incompatibilities? I know so little I am self-taught and if my friend did not help me do so many things I would be lost entirely in the new stuff.

Thank You All; I like this thread...I need all the advice I can glean!!!

Here's a good place to learn about your computer.

It's speed and tweaks and such.

Their are programs listed in this section-

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Must-Read-B...-Log-t2852.html

That will help with your computer speed at-

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forums.html

If you register and log in, underneath the 'geeks' names will be all sorts of programs that can help your computer. You can't see the list of programs unless you are logged in. Then underneath the Admin's name and other posters who help are the programs.

I wouldn't post a 'hijack this log' unless asked too after posting your problem in the appropriate thread.

These guys and girls can help, though sometimes it takes a day or two to get to your thread, they will get to you eventually.

I seem to have a little problem here. When my ex roommate was kicked out of here by the manager after he went nuts on me (long story, ask in PM if really interested), seems to have stolen my WinXP Pro discs.

It is going to be some time before I can afford to upgrade and get Vista, couple years perhaps, SSI doesn't go far every month after I pay my bills. If there is anyone out there that upgrades to Vista and has no need for their copy of XP Home or Pro, I would love them forever if they could pass their copy on to me and let me register it on my machine here. There is a good chance I will need the full version, but if that isn't what those willing to pass theirs on have, I still have my full win98 discs and my upgrade to ME that I could install first, then use an upgrade to XP Home or Pro. LOL, just a lot more time consuming doing it that way for sure.

I will leave the question if this can even be done and work to those in IT work here. I've heard from some people it would and heard from others that MS won't allow it and as soon as Vista is installed your old version of XP will be marked in their files and it can't be used by someone else that's stuck in my position and needs the CD's in case of a crash. If they are going to allow it, then I ask anyone who's upgrading and not needing their XP discs anymore to not toss them out, send them to me and let me install them here so I am assured if I crash, I can reinstall without a problem.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this. I don't like sitting here knowing I have no way to fix this box if it crashes other than to drop back to ME which is the only disc I have left after he stole my XP Pro ones. *sigh*

Wow Biker, that goes way back. You should have bought a hundred shares of a small company called Microsoft back then. Ha, ha. (Or IBM for that matter.) Those ould be worth millions maybe by now.

I still like Vista but I like Pro more I think because I am in a comfortable rut.

We'll all be using Vista in a matter of years so I might as well get used to it.

I know 2 guys online who did invest in MS back then, they are very rich today. *sigh* Wish I would have done it, but back then I had no income at all and was going thru a divorce, so investing wasn't on my mind.

Besides being online since late 1993 / early 1994, I also dated my ISP for 2 years. He's the reason I learned what I did, as he'd let me play at the console when I was at the office, much of the time at his root prompt. :) I never broke anything thankfully as I surely didn't have $150,000.00 to replace his DEC Alpha 2100. Beautiful machine, I miss it, even if it was as big as my refrigerator. Hahaha, when he moved into a new office, I even got the honor of being the one who got to plug in the T-1 line! That will always be one of my favorite memories about my first years online. Back then it was a big deal to have a T line, today my cable connection is just as fast as the T was then. It's been a true joy watching the internet grow and change. The only thing I hated was when spam started, I had been online over a year before I got my first spam email ... today, even with filters, I get 10 to 20 times that daily.

I think it was during the summer season in 1994 when my then boyfriend who owned/operated the ISP offered TWI a free website with as much space as they needed. They turned the offer down and then locally I was told to make a choice, TWI or the internet. Told them I'd think about it and slowly faded away so I didn't get kicked out and lose touch with family that remains in to this day. I often wonder if they even realize what they turned down, it's not often you get such an offer and now that they finally did decide to get a website, instead of it being free, it gets paid for by ABS I'm sure. What a waste.