GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

I'm going to a jazz festival / picnic on Saturday, so I've had Chicago's "Saturday in the Park" on the brain.

Since there's a group of us going, I've shared the love.... Turns out that's one of "those" songs that can get stuck in a person's head. :biglaugh:

Zixar,

What are you thinking? That you can just barg back in here like nothing has happened? And we don't even get a "Honey, I'm sorry I've been gone for so long" from you? Wellllll... I don't know if THAT will fly. I mean, you're going to have to introduce yourself again as we have so many new people since we've seen YOUR font around here. Harrumppph...

sudo (glad to see Zix back :))

Clearly, I'll have to find some other muciscal groupe to hang out with.

Classical, easy listening, Simon and Garfunkle, Neil Diamond and Tangerine Dreams play in my Bose which is here in my office.

Oh woe is me - - - - time to go find some real 3-D people.

Edited by krysilis

I bought a Joni Mitchell CD a few weeks ago.

http://www.google.com/musicl?lid=xJixH1YYa...;aid=Vvqp-81bUj

This one's called "Both Sides Now", and, yes that song (popularized by Judy Collins) is on there, but that hardly describes what the album is about. I read in the flyleaf (or whatever that thing is called) that the concept was for the songs on the album to describe the "arc" of a modern romance.

Well, I think she accomplished her mission pretty well. The songs though, have been more than just "memorable". They're downright haunting - and not enitrely in a good way. More like "I can't get that song out of my head and it's tormenting me" kind of memorable. Maybe I just wasn't emotionally ready for it yet?

Anyway, "Comes Love" was my favorite of the lot. I guess it's an Artie Shaw tune from the '30s, but Joni and the orchestra do an outstanding job with it. Some of the cuts seem to be way over-produced, others about right. I think she does a lot better with other people's music than her own...

Edited by George Aar

Waysider,

Yeah, I bought my first JM album in 1972 I think, or thereabouts, "For the Roses".

I've been an ersatz fan ever since, though I think her albums have a tendancy to be kinda repetative.

It's sorta like she has a sound that she's looking for with each album, and she repeats that sound again and again for all the 10 or 12 tracks, albeit with slight variations. But one song sorta just oozes into the next, with not much to distinguish one from the next. That, and I think she takes herself WAY to seriously at times, but, who am I to criticize?

I wish she'd do an album of nothing but jazz standards, though. She's got the PERFECT jazz voice these days.

Maybe she could drop the existential dread for a minute or two and just cut a straight-ahead jazz album?

Edited by George Aar

I saw her a few years ago in California at The Pond with Bob Dylan She had an amazing set with a four piece group where she did a lot of Jazz. The thing that impresssed me though the most was on the way in the venue she was standing outside the pond chatting with people and signing autographs. In all of the years of concerts I have ever been to and it's a long list I have never seen someone do that.

Saw Judy Collins in Carnaigy Hall. I think I left my heart there. You see, a guy I used to date, well, we went there very often and I loved him and good music.

Now he supports good music and good educaation in Seattle. I guess we had some things in common.

Judy blew me away. Her concert piano rendition of "my father always promised us" found me sobbing like a 3 year old.....and there was a very long silence before folks could wrestle their hands out of their handkerchiefs to applaud.

We lived in a wonderfully rich time, I think. But I'm too old now.

From Hope on the last page:

Just when I think I'm out - Green Day keeps pulling me back. I fell in love with them in 2004 when American Idiot came out, and went backwards, starting with the pre-Dookie CD's. I continue to listen to them all the time - not sick of them yet.

Ive never listened to much punk stuff, but in the last month or so Ive discovered and have been overwhelmed by the Dropkick Murphys. Its a whole new way for me to listen

I love em, sort of a blend of old celtic/irish tunesand instruments with straight forward kickass rock and roll

Their Warriors Code CD is first on my rotation lately

From Hope on the last page:

Ive never listened to much punk stuff, but in the last month or so Ive discovered and have been overwhelmed by the Dropkick Murphys. Its a whole new way for me to listen

I love em, sort of a blend of old celtic/irish tunesand instruments with straight forward kickass rock and roll

Their Warriors Code CD is first on my rotation lately

If you like Dropkick Murphys, you may also like Flogging Molly, another high-energy Irish band of the same general type. Try the Drunken Lullabies album.

Eagle's double CD, Long Road Out Of Eden It's about twelve dollars at Walmart. I know, I know. It's Walmart. But it's a great CD set.

Favorite songs on there: Do Something, and also Too Busy Being Fabulous. The title track is an amazing protest song. I speak as someone in the heart of Petroleum Club Country. I have students who have been the soldier trying to make it to dawn. You'll understand when you hear the song.

hi nika!!!!.........i agree about "great cd"!.....long overdue, but well worth the wait!!!.......22 eagles tunes, with at least one in each of the varied eagles' styles we've grown to love over the years!!!.............also, my kids just recently turned me onto "citizen cope".......and.......our friend from the great white north, A La Prochaine was recently very moved by fiddle player extraordinaire, alasdair fraser........quite an interesting mix of music floating around these days!!!!........nice seein' ya here, NIKA,............peace.

This has got to be the weirdest thing... i haven't looked at this thread ... if ever... and suddenly i decided to take a peek...and low and behold... there's my name.... too funny!OK... my latest love ... besides the aforementioned Alasdair Fraser...is Herbie Hancock's River album.... this is Herbie's 72nd album...here's a wonderful video on the making of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y8kZeJRvjMenjoy!

Edited by A la prochaine