GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

Thanks for the headsup DWBH!! Ive always been a huge fan of streetmusicians wherever I go.

Unfortunately the "Playing For Change" documentary site is (understandably overwhelmed right now

Im watching the Moyers Show right now HERE.

You are absolutely right, it is moving and inspiring! Thanks!

mstar!...............thanks so much for figgering out how to post that segment from moyers' journal!........i just watched it again, and it was just so great!.........btw, i also much enjoyed your celtic guitar posts too!........music, for me, is just so freaking awesome in how it connects all of us humans from every little chunk of the planet!......for me, music is more effective in uniting and "calming" humanity than all religion combined!.........and, the concept of "peace through music" resonates profoundly within me!.....................peace.

Wowza!!!I just finished watching the video that M-Star posted for DWBH... I have about a mazillion thoughts going thru' my head and I promise I won't share them all with you here today.I must first say that I completely agree with DWBH's post about music.I recently viewed a film (documentary) called Amandla. This documentary deals with the Apartheid issue in South Africa and how that culture fought that war through song. If you can get a hold of the film, it is worth any music junkie's time to watch.Secondly, I have been viewing videos recently on TED.Com.... I can usually watch about one a month as I find them so moving, motivating and life changing.I recently viewed one on music...and it was something completely extra-ordinary. It's about 20 minutes ... and worth every second. enjoy[email= http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/tod_mac...usic.html"]CLICK HERE[/email]Thank you everyone for making my lazy sunday morning.

Edited by A la prochaine

I recently viewed one on music...and it was something completely extra-ordinary. It's about 20 minutes ... and worth every second. enjoy [email= http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/tod_mac...usic.html"]CLICK HERE[/email] Thank you everyone for making my lazy sunday morning.

WOW--Just WOW

Thanks for making MY lazy sunday afternoon!!!

When I initially left TWI , I used to hang in a pub near MIT and it was those incredibly smart and off the wall folks with an entirely different perspective from there that were able to help me shake the narrow mind that I had for so long---Its wondrous to see what theyve done and are doing....absolutely amazing..

The performance at the end moved me to tears

Thanks A La

HOLY FREAKIN' WOWZA!...........A La..............i am awestruck and speechless!!!!!............thank you so very much for that post and link!........truly one of the greatest hopes for the future of humanity, IMHO!!!............absolutely "moving, inspiring and motivating"!!!...........all i can say is, that this thread IS "the greatest secret in the world today"!............i love all you folks.........i really do!................peace.

Since last night at 8:00 pm to 2:00 am in the morn I have done nothing but listen to Celtic Thunder

Then, I got up at 9:00 am and started all over I am addicted

We have so lost the deliciousness of lyrics, the art of telling the tales of the heart in music with our stupid songs about killing cops and banging broads... ya know? Anyway this is a musical presentation. There are about 25 songs by them on youtube I hope you enjoy them.

My favorites

Like a Bird without wings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_mo0HdR18...ADE&index=8

Like a bird without wings

That longs to be flying,

Like a motherless child

Left lonely and crying.

Like a song without words,

Like a world without music,

I wouldn’t know what to do

I’d be lost without you

Watchin’ over me.

(George sings harmonies here)

I get so lonely, when you’re away

I count every moment, I wait every day,

Until you’re home again

And hug me so tight

That’s when I know

Everything is alright.

Like a bird without wings

That longs to be flying,

Like a motherless child

Left lonely and crying.

Like a song without words

I’d be lost without you

Watchin’ over me.

(George sings harmonies here)

Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com

You’re my guardian angel

My light and my guide

Your hand on my shoulder

And you by my side.

You make everything beautiful,

You make me complete.

Everything in my world

I lay at your feet..

Like a church with no steeple,

Where a bell never rings.

In a town without people,

Where no voice in the choir ever sings.

If a boat on the ocean

Would be lost with no sail,

Then without your devotion

Surely all that I dreamed of would fail.

(George doing harmonies)

Like a song without words

I’d be lost without you

Watchin’ over me

I’d be lost without you

Watchin’ over me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgV0sZ5I_30...DE&index=27

Caledonia

I don’t know if you can see, the changes that have come over me

In these last few days, I’ve been afraid, that I might drift away

I’ve been tellin’ stories, singing songs

That made me think, about where I’ve come from

And that’s the reason why I seem so far away today.

Let me tell you that I love you

And I think about you all the time

Caledonia you’re calling me, now I’m goin’ home

But if I should become a stranger

Know that it would make me more than sad

Caledonia’s been everything I’ve ever had.

I have moved, and I’ve kept on movin’

Proved the points that I needed provin’

I Lost the friends that I needed losin’

Found others on the way

Find More lyrics at www.sweetslyrics.com

I’ve kissed the girls and left them crying

Stolen dreams, yes there’s no denying

I ‘ve traveled hard sometimes with conscience flyin’

Somewhere in the wind

MStar and DWBH,

I'm so very very glad you enjoyed that video. It is so very powerful and yes, MStar when I viewed it with my daughter and husband we were all in tears as well.

TED.COM is one of the most innovative and remarkable websites I believe out there. I recently viewed a video by Sir Ken Robinson on education....and ever since, I talk everyone's ear off about it that I come into contact with in the schools where I work. (you can do a search for Ken Robinson on TED.com and the video will pop up).

But I must not take the credit here. It was my daughter who came home from university this summer and said to me...Mom, you must watch TED.com...it is the rage at school....Oh how I love the youth!!! Dead, stuck in the mud, self-righteous adults bore me to tears.

MStar and DWBH ... thanks for NOT being one of those. You've brought a smile to me face! :D

Get a load of these high school kids. At the conclusion listen to the high notes on the trumpet . . . played by a high school kid? One of the fathers recorded it, added some graphic enhancements to the recording, and posted it on the web.

The song, of course, is the ' Battle Hymn Of The Republic.' Be prepared . . . it will send a few shivers up your spine. Click below!

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle%20Hymn/index.htm

I'm hope it's not too soon to post this song.. I just heard it and it moves me everytime.

The video is very "Dali-esque." You might want to just listen to the words.

"Round Here" ~ Counting Crows

..."Round here we talk just like lions

But we sacrifice like lambs"...

Edited by doojable

:)

One of our posters here at GS is an artist on the Phineas and Ferb Show I gotta wonder if thats his work..

good stuff!

This is an old standard flatpicking tune for a snowy wednesday... I was surprised a few years back when I found out it was originally a Marching band tune from 100 years ago

Under The Double Eagle