GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

I'm not an accomplished bass player. I used to have a Fender P. It always felt heavy to me. I wasn't in love with it but I really did like the way it sounded. Fast forward....My hands started acting silly, so I got rid of it and got an Epiphone Viola because it has a short scale neck, and, being semi-hollow bodied, is much lighter,. I thought maybe that would be easier to play. And it was. Plus, I liked the sound after I outfitted it with round wound strings. It's not a high end machine but still quite nice for the price. I still have it but I can't play at all anymore. My hands refuse to cooperate. That happens when you get old. (or so I'm told.)

Looks just like this one.

• Upvote 1

Don’t Worry – thanks for the Victor Wooten tune – I have his Live in America CD – love his sense of melodious funk.

8 hours ago, waysider said:

I'm not an accomplished bass player. I used to have a Fender P. It always felt heavy to me. I wasn't in love with it but I really did like the way it sounded. Fast forward....My hands started acting silly, so I got rid of it and got an Epiphone Viola because it has a short scale neck, and, being semi-hollow bodied, is much lighter,. I thought maybe that would be easier to play. And it was. Plus, I liked the sound after I outfitted it with round wound strings. It's not a high end machine but still quite nice for the price. I still have it but I can't play at all anymore. My hands refuse to cooperate. That happens when you get old. (or so I'm told.)

Looks just like this one.

Waysider, Epiphone does make good equipment at an affordable price - I had an Epiphone Semi-Hollow Body guitar (pawned it and some tools to go to the Rock one year – again with the sacrifices :rolleyes: ); I know what you mean about getting old – I can’t sit for very long playing with my plucking hand bent over the body of the bass guitar – carpal tunnel kicks in; most comfortable position is standing with bass strapped on – and only can do that for so long….maybe it’s time to switch to an upright bass; back in the day I was a decent bass player… with a wooden ear – now it’s just a fun hobby.

Since Tonto found out our secret clubhouse I thought I’d post a Paul McCartney clip (I think Paul M was Tonto’s first crush on a bass player); Waysider, take note – even the best of musicians can "damage" a high end machine.

Edited by T-Bone
clarity

1 hour ago, krys said:

Thanks, David. How did you do that?

When you're looking at the youtube video you want to share, look below the video to where it says 

"Share/ Embed/ Email".  Click on Share, and then copy the code that pops up.

In the case of this video - - I clicked on share, and htt ps//:youtu.be/8nldGugymY showed up.

I copied that and pasted it here, and it shows up as a video.  :wave:

Hey Krys, back in the day I really liked the Sandpiper’s tune Guantanamera .....and thanks for posting Come Saturday Morning

Don't Worry, I listen to the Cream’s version of Crossroads almost every day on the way home from work – it’s also one of my all-time favs for Eric’s guitar work AND Jack’s busy bass …And I must say I love Jimi’s All Along the Watchtower version better than Bob Dylan’s (who wrote it). Here’s a couple of my favorite alternate versions of familiar tunes -

Bluebird by James Gang – check out Tom Kriss on the bass – he plays it like a lead instrument – you can’t really appreciate it unless you have some decent speakers and/or a subwoofer though (though I am partial to the bass I should mention for DMiller’s sake that I also like the original by Stephen Stills that features a banjo)

Sledgehammer by Morgan James – (she was the lady on the right in All About the Bass by Postmodern Jukebox that DMiller posted awhile back.)

Edited by T-Bone
add a note
  • Upvote 1

Soooo good to read and hear your selections! Glad you got it down now Krys! And....Dave, Dave, Dave!! You always come up with stunners! I LOVE Sam Bush too. And, all the incredible pickers whose names I do not know that play with him. Just sensational! And, Mr. Bone! I was a huge James gang fan from their very first album! Saw them twice at the Fillmore and they did Bluebird both times. And that gal has got some pipes, eh? Great job on Sledgehammer!

WOOHOO MUSIC LOVERS! Keep 'em coming!! Please! It's so much fun ain't it???

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy
Spelling

Youse guys reminded me of a couple.

Talking about pipes T-Bone, K D Lang just floors me! (So does Adele, but that's a different post). I first heard her in 1989. A guy at work turned me on to Absolute Torch and Twang, her first album.  This song from that album sent me out to buy it that day on the way home from work. I still love it!

I first heard of The James Gang when I saw them at the Fillmore in 1970. they opened the show followed by a band called The Flock, and CCR were the headliners! Typical Fillmore East show. Bluebird and this song got me hooked on crazy Joe Walsh and I still love his distinctive style.

Dave...the last time we exchanged music before here and now, Billy Dodds and I had just seen Dawg'n'Del at a beautiful theater here in Great Barrington. I was buzzin' off of that for several weeks. I think this one is a good quickie dose of the 2 greatest living mandolinists alive today that I know of. I'm sure there's a kid in his parents' basement somewhere that's getting ready to be the next, but this'll do for now.

Yeah Don’t Worry, I don’t know the first thing about vocalists but something about KD Lang – maybe it’s her range especially the low end that reminds me of Adele. Both are great vocalists…which reminds me - I love to watch the fun Adele has with James Corden in carpool karaoke:

I got turned onto the James Gang by a drummer I use to jam with – and since he knew what a bass-aholic I was, the first tune he played for me was Funk #48 (on the LP it precedes Bluebird); I actually prefer it over the Funk #49 you posted though both are good tunes - #48 has one of the thickest and growly bass tones I’ve ever heard (Mel Schacher – bass player for Grand Funk RR has a similar sound) – it has that announce-your-presence-with-authority feel to it; my friend said something like “that bass just so dominates over the guitar, drums and vocals”…I said “there’s other instruments on that tune?” 

Don’t Worry reminisced in an earlier post of folks exchanging tunes for a great pastime. That made me think of the wonderful interaction when two music lovers get married. Tonto turned me on to so many great singers/song writers/musicians….one of our fondest early memories of musical blending was when I rigged up an attenuating patch cord to connect her piece-of-furniture-stereo-console-with-turntable to a TEAC cassette recorder I bought at a garage sale; we made a compilation of tunes by taking turns playing a song in response to each other’s selection…it was a one-of-a-kind-personal-playlist-for-two cassette tape – too bad all I had was an 8 track tape player in my van :biglaugh:

Anyway…. speaking of great music you find thru a friend - Tonto got me into Lyle Lovett – so Dave, this clip is for you – it’s Sam Bush playing with Lyle…

Edited by T-Bone
to add stuff
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that post bro! I love hearing how music moves its lovers. Lyle Lovett and his large band. I saw them in San Antonio once and they were terrific! My sister is a huge fan of his. And, I think that car karaoke he did with Adele is the best of all the ones he's done with pop stars! He was sensational in making her feel comfortable and he really did a great job harmonizing with her. I've watched that at least 10 times!