GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

Victor's Crown by Darlene Zchesch from Revealing Jesus Album (with Israel Haughton and Kari Jobe)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/jBku3rJ0Xe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Oh, the sweet smell of success!

Edited by Human without the bean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey Bean!!!

i see you're keeping my favorite super-thread alive here! Have not been here in years, but I'm baaaack.....LOL!

Been listening to some of what I consider to be some of the most influential pieces of music of all time and my faves. Eclectic, but that's the mood.......

Pick # 1.....mainstreamed jazz worldwide. Composed by Paul Desmond who plays sax and performed by the original Dave Brubeck Quartet.

• Upvote 1

For me, this man represents one of the greatest pure musical geniuses who ever lived. He took the world from Baroque to Classical in a 39 year life. The amount of music that streamed out of this Wunderkind is mind-boggling! This is my all-time favorite Mozart composition. My dad first played it for me when I was 5 years old and I've never forgotten it! ALL 4 MOVEMENTS are a must!

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy
  • Upvote 1

Some more nostalgia........

talk about cultural impact......Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim and Jerome Roberts. Three immensely talented humans with a bean (forgive the pun Bean!). West Side Story had an incredible influence on me.

My 6th grade teacher at PS 191 in Queens, NY, was Dr. Virginia Carr. She had a PhD in Physics and was also the school principal. Her son was in the theater in Manhattan, and he worked as a production assistant on Broadway. He was close friends with Tucker Smith, who played Ice both on Broadway and in the film. The play won a billion Tony Awards, and the film won 11 Academy Awards, and Bernstein/Sondheim won a bunch of Grammys for the soundtrack. Truly a cultural monster!

Dr. Carr decided our graduating gift to PS 191 as 6th graders, would be to do our production of WSS. She got her son to get Tucker Smith to direct us. We worked on it for 3 months after school, on weekends, etc. It was a smash, and we took it "on the road" to 5 other schools in our school district! Hence, the incredible impact this musical theater masterpiece had on all of us who participated....36 students. Plus, I got to play Tony so I was involved in most scenes.

i've picked  3 pieces which I think best capture the expanse of the work. The cultural relevance to our current national debate is astonishing. Immigration, inner city poverty and crime, racism, community policing, bigotry, and gang violence....all there. You'll recognize all the tunes and probably remember a lot of the words. Enjoy!

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy
Spelling