GreaseSpot Cafe

Song of the moment

nandon

That was sweet! I enjoyed it all, and notice that at no time did their fingers leave their hands (especially in the last selection)

Thanks gentlemen for this mini-concert; it was such a wonderful reprise!

• Upvote 1

here's another tune for Don't Worry - sorry for the loss of your friends - it's The Rideout by Acoustic Alchemy - listen especially to Gunnar Plumer on the acoustic bass - from his lilting bass runs alone i get the feeling I'm on a horse galloping thru the hills jumping over rocks and brush

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2016 at 1:15 AM, DontWorryBeHappy said:

OK.....enough schmaltz! Had 2 very dear old friends pass away in the last coupla days. Both bass players I've know for over 40 years. That's what set me off.

NOW BACK TO JAMMIN'!

Sorry for the loss of your friends. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks T-Bone and Jay Dee! Great selections! 

Ya know......I used to spend hours at a time in this thread with fellow spotters back in the day. Many were expressing their feelings here through the music they posted. Lotsa times it was just, "Hey I really loved this song." Or, "was feelin' a little blue today and thought of this.......", or "remember this one?", or just plain "For fun!". Lots posted and some weekend days we'd go all day for hours trading tunes and thoughts and emotions and memories. I really loved that. Maybe this one thread will kick in again like that. If it does, it sure will be fun!

• Upvote 1

Something about that Sanford Townsend tune has a Steely Dan feel to it – maybe cuz it’s a little jazz-ish - and it sounds familiar to me - must have heard it ages ago….and speaking of jazzy I love the jammin’ in Angry Eyes…Tonto has the Robert Plant / Alison Krauss CD – I'm grabbing that to play in my car tomorrow…she also has some Alison with Union Station live that’s good too…That Fender Mustang Bass is a beauty – I was checking them out on the Internet after the picture you posted – looks like in later years Fender sort of re-issued them in a Pawn Shop series and the one I saw had a humbucker pickup…

…anyway…Stevie’s version of Voodoo Child reminded me of a CD I bought recently of Winwood & Clapton and their version:

• Upvote 2

Don’t Worry, that is a gorgeous looking Strat! A good number of the guitarists I’ve played with had Fenders. Matter of fact, the first band I was in the guitarist played a Fender Jaguar Guitar – it had a whammy bar and a bunch of slide switches to vary the tone and I think the pickup circuitry also. Fender knows how to build a great guitar.

I fell in love with the Fender Jazz Bass  – specifically the 1970s series – there’s nothing like the feel and sound of that series. Did a dumb thing – I gave my Fender to a believer before I went WOW. Currently I own a Yamaha and a Kramer (see picture below) – but – every once and awhile I look online at the Fender 70s Jazz Bass and think hmmmmmm maybe I’ll get another one someday…funny thing the other day when I was looking up that Fender Mustang Bass you posted I came across a something funny a bass player posted – it was something like “my wife used to say if I buy one more bass she would leave me…I wonder where she is now.”

On the left is my 6 String Yamaha Bass with active EQ – it has a lot of range and a variety of tones.

On the right – my Fretless Kramer with an aluminum neck is a sweet soulful thing. Had a piezo bridge installed on the Kramer  and it gives the strings a very organic – maybe sort of a wooden tone – definitely different from regular pickups. Its DiMarzio P Bass pickup sounds nice – however I’m got a modification in the works – I bought a thing called Black Ice from Amazon – it’s an on-board battery-free overdrive for bass or guitar – still haven’t decided how I want to integrate it with a switch to change options or cut it off.

6 String Yamaha + Fretless aluminum neck Kramer_v2.JPG

Yikes – this is a long post for song of the moment – oh yeah 6 string Yamaha bass – Jimmy Haslip often used one with the Yellow Jackets – jazz with a sting – one of my very favorite bands – enjoy…

WOW T-Bone! I think they're beautiful. Thanks for the tech info and the "sound/feel" info. Jazzmaster II was the big seller back then. Was looking at the Fender site yesterday. They're going re-issues of all those funky 6 strings and basses from the 50s and early 60s. The Jazzmaster Series starts at $1399.00 and ranges up to $1599.00!! At that price, your's look fabulous!

My nominee for best bass player currently on Earth. Enjoy!