GreaseSpot Cafe

Full Moon

The Full Moon is just about upon us. People go nuts on the Full Moon. Babies get born. My job experience (psych nursing and midwifery) has convinced me that this is true. As the old Moon has gotten fatter in the past couple of days / nights, folks around me - and myself - are getting really weird. If things have been wacko in your house or job or neighborhood, hang in there. This Moon will start shrinking soon. See how devilish I've become outside of TWI ?? But I know this is real. I've learned to avoid touchy subjects and grumpy people when the Moon looks like this. I've learned to keep my own mouth shut, and wait a few days. -Pat

Pat - Do you live in a large city or a small town? The reason I ask is that I used to live in a large urban area and I'm sure the full moon had an effect on people. I asked a cop about it once and he thought so too.

I've since moved to a relatively small town and now I enjoy the full moon without feeling the craziness.

Jim, there are no large cities in Wyoming. Our town has 655 people. The sky is gigantic. We are in the midst of a winter storm as I type this, but even last night the Moon was visable and sorta spooky through the snow. I think its effects are just as powerful on country folk as on city folk. There's just fewer of us to hurt each other out here in the wilderness. -Pat

Well, shaz, I'm supposedly a "Scorpio", except there is no constellation by that name. (It's Scorpius.) Trouble is, due to precession of the Earth's axis over the millennia, the Sun is not even in Scorpius on my birthday, it's now in Libra.

Pretty much no one's born under their "sign" any more. Heck, some folks are even "Ophiuchuses", since the Sun passes briefly through a thirteenth constellation now. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> (Nov 30 - Dec 17, if anyone really cares)

for zixar

march 18

quote:
A powerful sense of inspiration could come from within today, dear Scorpio, and you might want to sit down and write down your thoughts, or draw the pictures that are popping into your head. However, social obligations, possibly parties or visits, could interfere with putting your ideas down on paper. You could also feel especially attuned to the thoughts and feelings of others - though you might not like what you're picking up!

george, what is your sign ? don't want to leave you out

I was studing psych nursing and THERE is a change in the patients.

There is also a change in the elderly around 3pm to 7pm it is called "sundowning". People could be speaking in very pleasent tones and be lucid ~~

Then, all of a sudden flip out becoming violent and confused. I worked the 3-11 shift and it was a very REAL thing as is the full moon bad behavior thing.

Head knowledge wise Zix you may be right, you usually are. But by experience, these are very real things.

George about your sign -- that was a VERY funny post!

Dot Matrix

Zixar -- Ever heard of "Moon Huts"?? As a fellow Scorpio, I'll respectfully wait for an answer before I gross you out with the details. I am told that Scorpio midwives are strange indeed. That's me.

Dot -- I was charge nurse for an Adolescent Psych unit for about four years. This was a private hospital, which unlike public hospitals (not much subsidizing), was very conscious of budget issues. When the hospital census was low, and administration would start fretting over finances, the Nursing Staff would assure them that the Full Moon was coming, and all would be well. We were always right. They would even schedule additional nurses for those nights !! -Pat

I hate to spoil anyone's party but,

Why do you suppose there are no statistics to back up this powerful "moon effect", only feelings (generally preceded by an "I just know")?

Really, there have been NUMEROUS studies and nobody could find anything significant (see previous post link). If it's such a potent force, why do we have to take it on faith?

geo.

I don't know or care who your studies polled.

I DO know who it wasn't, and it wasn't a LOT

of people I know all over cyberspace.

For any of them, knowing there's a full moon

makes little difference. They get "full moon

fever" even if they're CERTAIN that evening is

nowhere near the full moon. I rarely look for

statistics backing the results of stuff I deal

with all the time.

I think the "bigfoot" sensation is nonsense.

However, if the guy showed up once a month,

picked my lock, and spent the evening eating my

cheetos and watching tv while I sat there

videotaping him, I'd reassess my position.

So, go ahead and tell me that, statistically,

we're all affected by the placebo effect. Go

ahead and tell us it's psychosomatic. Go ahead

and tell me anything you like on the subject-

you can just dismiss it and go about your

business.

I tried dismissing it as psychological. In fact,

I had successfully done so. 28 days later, I

did it again. 28 days later, I did it AGAIN.

28 days later, I did it AGAIN. 28 days later,

I wondered if I had jumped to a hasty

conclusion. 28 days after that, I stopped

dismissing it, and took it into account. My

months have gotten easier since then.

How and why does it happen? I honestly don't

understand and can't explain how I can send

e-mail over the internet, but I can and I do.

As Zixar pointed out, I probably don't have any

"correct" scientific explanation for it. I

must deal with it anyway. People had wrong

ideas about how gravity worked before it was

properly explained. However, even the uneducated

seemed able to work around their incomplete

understanding of the subject.

Fine, I'm an uninformed plebian on the subject.

I DO, however, have a lot of the experience of

WHAT, if not properly, HOW or WHY.

CLFOBS Ministries. Join NOW!