GreaseSpot Cafe

Old Emporia recipe...

now I see

Does anyone remember/have an old Emporia recipe that was a cake like snack or dessert; it was kind of a heavy fruit bread that was served with cream cheese spread between two slices? It was dark brown in color, maybe made with date or fig puree, and was very moist.

Any one know what it was?

I would like to have the recipe if anyone knows it, thanks in advance.   :redface2:

Brown bread - yes, you can get it at any grocery store, usually in the bakes beans section. I also have a killer recipe for it - it's my mom's recipe (mom wouldn't be caught dead buying brown bread) and it's also cooked - you guessed it - in a tin can! I'll post the recipe later... hang tight...

Does anyone remember/have an old Emporia recipe that was a cake like snack or dessert; it was kind of a heavy fruit bread that was served with cream cheese spread between two slices? It was dark brown in color, maybe made with date or fig puree, and was very moist.

Any one know what it was?

I would like to have the recipe if anyone knows it, thanks in advance.   :redface2:

I recall making this bread at Emporia. It had Ginger in it...I don't remember it coming out of a can tho... I have eaten it out of a deli here at home. But I do believe that I have the recipe. I'll check for you.

This is the only canned bread like thing I've ever heard of. I can't wait to see the recipe.

5036955%20-%2030_10_2006%20-%20urbnosh09.jpg

instantdick.jpg

Ok Belle - You asked for it....

Spotted Dick Recipe

Spotted Dick

2 oz plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 teaspoon mixed spice

pinch of salt

2 oz shredded suet

1 oz white or brown sugar

4 oz currants

2 oz fresh breadcrumbs

1 egg, beaten

4-5 tbsp milk

Butter a 1.5 pint pudding basin. Sift the flour, baking powder, spice and salt into a mixing bowl and mix in the suet, sugar, fruit and bread- crumbs. Stir in the egg and sufficient milk to produce a soft consistency that drops off the spoon in 5 seconds.

Turn the mixture into the pudding basin, which should be two-thirds full. Cover with greased foil or a snap-on lid (the plastic container from a 2 lb Christmas pudding is worth saving for this purpose.) Steam for 2 to 2.5 hours. When cooked, remove the cover and allow the pudding to shrink slightly, then cover the basin with a hot serving plate, hold it firmly and invert. Lift off the basin to leave the pudding on the plate.

Serve hot with custard.

As you can see, Fanny recommends a nice hot custard to go on your Spotted Dick. I am sure Fanny would never have a Spotted Dick unless it had a nice big blob of nice hot custard on it :evildenk: :

Custard

3 egg yolks

1 tbsp caster sugar

1/2 pint milk

1/4 tsp vanilla essence

Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a bowl. Heat the milk in a saucepan until it is nearly boiling.

Whisk the hot milk gradually into the egg mixture. Put the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir the mixture over the indirect heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. (Direct heat will make the custard curdle.)

Stir in the vanilla essence and more sugar, according to taste. Strain and serve hot.

Edited by doojable

I think what you are refering to is Applesauce Cake.

I believe we made it in square pans then cut it down the middle, spread sweetened cream cheese on it then put the two halves back together then cut it into squares.

Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 Cup sifted whole wheat flour

3/4 cup soy flour

1/2 cup powdered milk (non-instant)

4 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. cinnamon

2/3 cup honey

1/2 cup oil

4 eggs

3/4 cup applesauce

1/2 cup toasted wheat germ

1 cup raisins

Sift together dry ingredientes, except wheat germ. Cream honey, oil and eggs. Mix dry ingredients into creamed mixture laternatly with applesauce, wheat germ and raisins. Beat well and pour into greased 9x13 inch cake pan.

Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes

When it is cool cut it length wise down the middle and spread some sweetened cream cheese down the middle. We had to cook "healthy' so we sweetened with honey but I was thinking some of those premixed cream cheese flavors like the Honey Walnut spread would taste really good with this.

Anyway I think that is what you were looking for. If not well it's still a good recipe.

Eyesopen, that's it!!! You've got it!!  Thank you!!  I thought the ingredients had to be fig or date since the color was so dark brown, but your recipe is it, those ingredients would account for the color.  

I've been looking for three other recipes I haven't been able to crack from what I recall at Emporia, they are for the millet, the Bennie's Wheat dinner rolls (even though I can't get Bennie's wheat) and the Chicken Divan.  Everytime I've tried to make millet, it comes out tasting so bland :yawn1:  and the Chicken Divan has never come out like I remember it. Do you have these recipes too?  I actually like the healthy style cooking, but I'm not fanatical about it, sugar is allowed.  

There are probably lots other recipes that I would have liked to have, but too many years have passed for me to remember them.  I should have asked to copy some of them down at the time, but I guess I figured I had plenty of time and could always get them later....

About the Spotted Dick, it's a British Christmas time dessert.  My mother in law is from the U.K., and I've actually bought it for her.  You can get it in cans at Costplus stores or at any International food store.  It does have a funny name though.   :redface2:

ChasUFarley, bring it on, even tho it's not what I was looking for, any good recipe is welcome!

Edited by but now I see

Somewhere in the deep, dark, corners of my recipe file I have a bunch of recipes from Gunnison. There just may be a millet recipe in there.

I'm moving this weekend. Give me some time to settle and re-surface and I'll get back to you.

Millet?

AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I gag thinking about it now...

I remember Grace Bliss' cookbook - lots of millet...

Millet. Barley... No one likes me very much when I eat those. :redface2:

• 11 years later...

Well, it's been a long wait for some of you, but here, for all of you Millet lovers out there, is the Recipe booklet from WCE. I am posting because it's liked by some, and I don't see it around the Cafe'. Goodness Gracious. From 1981- 1982. There may have been a cover page that got lost.

This is one of the things I saved....HAH! Don't use it hardly at all, but for some who knows?

It's scanned in 2 parts, front back. It was broken apart from it's booklet form, which was (2) sided, and stapled. 

The memories associated with aromas is powerful, at least for me. In 1991 I made my Grandmother's chicken and dumplings. Never had it at our house because my Mom didn't like them growing up. Only had them at my Grandmother's house.

Anyway, I dropped the home made dumplings into the pot, the final step, and as the dumplings began cooking, the aroma was overpoweringly wonderful, and I hadn't smelled that aroma for about 30 years. Wowee Zowee. Oh, it took me back. That night I had a dream, picture perfect!!, and I was in my Grandmother's kitchen again as a kid, into her undercounter cabinets looking for chocolate....like I used to do all the time when I was over there; they only lived a coupla' blocks from me. So wonderful because I was over there so much, and I had forgotten.

So, enjoy, please.

EmporiaRecipes_2.pdf

EmporiaRecipes_1.pdf

• 3 weeks later...