GreaseSpot Cafe

Spelling & Grammar Nazis

Belle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P-mosh, I'm glad you weren't offended, but it IS things that seem insignificant to some of us that can be really offensive to others.

George, honestly, I have, at times, cringed at your corrections of others and didn't think it was funny on this thread. It seems you totally ignored the whole point I was trying to make and, in the process, caused a diversion from the purpose of the thread....but that's just me. :wink2:

And, Chas, a few others I think focus too much on grammar and spelling have posted here, too. Again, that's just my opinion. :)

I hate that Daddy Hound Dog doesn't post here anymore and there are a few others I miss, too. It's a shame, as I said in my first post and as Shaz so eloquently stated, that people can't focus on the message but, instead have to look for some way to tear the messenger down.

Belle - I respect your opinion. Personally, I've never had encounters or witnessed any negitive things with other posters, as you mentioned, but that's my POV. I just avoid those who seem to be caught up in legalilsm - I just don't care to bother with them. Guess I reached my saturation point there, YEARS ago... :)

WashingtonWeather,

Years ago I found a book on the web entitled, "Dyslexia - The Gift""

The reason I found this book was because I teach "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and I had a student that was dyslexic. At the time I knew very little about dyslexia, so I wanted to make sure that I wasn't "harming" that student in any way through my lessons.

What I read there was that dyslexia is a result of right-brain dominance. I won't go into the details here and now. Suufice it to say that I was relieved. More importantly, there was a list of dyslexic people in history - Albert Einstein comes to mind immediately.

It's a shame that this is seen as a learning disablity and that poor spelling is seen as ignorance. Some of the most brilliant minds in history were not "intelligent" at first glance.

I'll not derail this thread any further. I most likely will start another.

Edited to add the Link and confirm that the title of the book is correct

Edited by doojable

George, honestly, I have, at times, cringed at your corrections of others and didn't think it was funny on this thread. It seems you totally ignored the whole point I was trying to make and, in the process, caused a diversion from the purpose of the thread....but that's just me. :wink2:

color]

Actually, I thought I was exemplifiying the point of this thread. Sorry if you didn't find it amusing.

I guess I have no idea whom the "Grammar Nazis" have run off, because they just disappeared without comment.

Feel free to correct my grammar at any time. I wish to point out first, however, that if you see "teh," "adn," or "Geroge," these are typos that frequently escape my fingers.

George

You know what's probably ruined me when it comes to spelling and punctuation?

MS Word.

Word has a function you can turn on that will auto-correct spelling. It will tell you when your sentence structure is off or you've made a punctuation error. I've gotten, well... LAZY because of it. I trust it too much. But on the other hand, it is easy to check things there and trust it than to try to remember what to do...

Edited by ChasUFarley

George - If you had a weakness --which maybe you are lucky and don't have one that ever coincides with being social in any way, but if you had one that did coincide - Could it be that if you were embarassed all your life and that coming here only to finds more embarrassment, you would consider returning to the place where you are caused hurt. As I mentined to Linda -- most of you have no idea because --why would they come back and tell anyone... <_<

Maybe explaining the difference interms of some other special ed type terms might help.

Example: we have BD students and ED students

BD - Behaviorally Disturbed

ED - Emotionally Disturbed

BD - can change and don't want to -- alot of gang members end up in this group

ED - Cannot change even if they wanted to.

Some people cannot get the spelling and grammar thing.

As you pride your self --and to any other super speller/grammar I think it is an important skill,but I do not think it is a criteria for judgment, and that is the problem here.

I will attach the link, but here is something for people to consider as to what strengths we all have -- which is far more pleasant to focus on.

Overview of Gardner's Multiple Intelligences

Gardner continues in the tradition of Thurstone's proposal that there is no g (general intelligence) but rather multiple, distinct intelligences. Gardner proposes seven intelligences (although he does not limit the possible number)

1. Linguistic intelligence

2. Musical intelligence

3. Logical- mathematical intelligence

4. Spatial intelligence

5. Bodily-Kinaesthetic intelligence

6. Interpersonal intelligence

7. Interpersonal intelligence

Gardner's Multiple Intelligences

I love to read well written words and phrases. It moves me in many ways. But I can't give that back in like fashion.

But to put someone down for not having the same strengths when that other person might run circles around the accuser in many other ways is rather defining of themselves. No one is fooled by it. So why waste precious space when you could be doing something constructive with words instead.

I hope this doesn't drag the topic even further from its original intent, but let me point out that I don't intentionally hurt anyone. And if anyone is old enough to type a post, he's old enough to tell me if I've offended him. I'm not too proud to apologize if I've made a mistake.

On the other hand, I've been posting for over three years, and I doubt I could count on one hand the number of times I've pointed out grammatical or spelling mistakes, unless what was actually typed made the meaning unclear. I'd be interested to see what other posts made Belle "cringe." Inasmuch as Belle described herself as a "grammar and spelling freak" in her opening post, I thought she could handle a little good-natured ribbing. Apparently, I was mistaken; and I apologize.

George

Does anyone else, besides me, find it interesting and ironic that those posters who have been "Grammar Nazis" have yet to post on this thread? <_<

You'll find my confession on page 2 of this thread. :biglaugh:

Being the product of a wannabe grammarian and the Catholic school system (insert scary music here), I have a great and abiding fear of being 'wrong'. It has also translated into if someone uses the language poorly, they must not have the capacity for intelligent thought. Therefore, they can be dismissed much more easily. I'm not proud of this, but that is the way it is for me.

George, no apology necessary. I hope you know I adore you and think you're a wonderful guy. :love3: I don't remember specific examples off the top of my head, mostly because I didn't consider it a big deal and it wasn't directed at me - maybe it wasn't you and, for that, I apologize. CRS hits me harder than I'd like sometimes. Generally, I'm a good sport and those things don't bother me much unless they are nit-picking and never address the actual content of what the person was trying to say. I don't think you ever did that.

I'd just like to see us all be a little bit more cognizant of how we treat each others and to remember that we're all here, warts and all, to heal and have fun - not to be corrected or to become better writers. (I like hyphens, too. :biglaugh: I hyphenate sentences more than words, though.) People don't post "good bye threads" every time they leave, and those who leave because of the rudeness of others aren't likely to say, "I can't spell or rite good and y'all are hurting my feelings. You don't care what I have to say if I can't spell it rite, so I'm leaving." Nobody likes to feel picked on, and they certainly aren't going to advertise the trouble they may have. (I personally think "good bye threads" are ridiculous and ploys for attention, especially since most of the folks never actually leave, anyway, but that's another topic.)

WashingtonWeather, that's all very interesting. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I found a place online where you can take a simplified version of the test and I scored 33 out of 40 on Intrapersonal, 32 on Intrapersonal, 28 on Linguistic and Logical-Mathmatical. I guess that means I'm still self-absorbed, which I attribute to the choices I've made regarding my own healing from the TWI experience. I've always been pretty intuitive when it comes to reading other people, in person anyway.