GreaseSpot Cafe

ipod

Shellon

My daughter celebrates her 12th birthday in two weeks.

An ipod has been on her birthday and christmas lists for a year but I haven't gotten it for her because I don't understand how it works. I know, I know, every kid over 2 has one, cept for mine, but I'm not spending money on something I can't understand.

She has to go on to the computer to download songs right? The neighbor kid comes over here and tries to download to hers and after she's done I have to do a ton of fixing on my computer.

Plus my daughter's computer time is supervised in a very detailed way, I want to know what she has to do to use this wierd looking thing. And how often does she need my credit card to get the music? And if we can't figure it out, it'll end up in a yard sale in short order.

I need simple explanation for what my kid would have to do with this supposedly cool thing.

It's easier than carrying around her cd player apparently eh?

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

***Oops - posted by Abigail*****

Easier and it holds much much more songs.

In order to use the iPod, you have to install iTunes on your computer. The upside is the iTunes program is FREE. The bad news is the songs are not. lol

Once you have iTunes on your computer, though, you can upload all of your music cd's onto your computer and iTunes will very easily and quickly convert them to the format needed for the iPod. Also, you can purchase and download individual songs of your choice off of iTunes, usually for 99 cents per song. OR, you can download entire cd's from $6 and up. The average seems to be right around $10 per album, which is still significantly cheaper than what you would pay at the store.

Finally, in addition to putting all of these songs on your iPod, you can burn them to cd's in any order you want - no more having to listen to songs on a cd you don't like, while waiting for the ones you do.

I have one, Shellon and I love it. If you have trouble figuring out how to make it work, give me a hollar and I can talk you through it.

You will need an available USB port on your computer, though.

Edited by Sushi

You will set up iTunes with your card credit card number once.

It's easy. I've had two in the house - both the shuffle and the Nano. I like them -and I want one of my own.....(too bad my kids won't see this..LOL)

Thank you ladies! If I have to use my credit card that often for her to gain songs, then I choose not to purchase it. Not to mention I hate hate using my credit card on the computer.

I agree that song prices are cheaper than if I purchase a CD for her player, however. We do have the port necessary, as my neighbor uses it. She brings her own CD's with her and does something that way.

Kelly will enjoy another gift from her mama.

Maybe an 8 track player? :biglaugh:

Downloading and installing iTunes is FREE.

If you buy music via iTunes, then you can expect to pay $0.99/song - about $9.99 for an album. Videos are $1.99. Movies are about $12.99.

You can rip your entire CD collection to iTunes, put photos on it, etc.

iTunes works with the iPod - there's no other drivers to install - nothing. Plug it in and off you go. It's very intuitive.

Think of the iPod like a big thumb drive - you know those keychain-sized USB drives that people use for file storage. Only the iPod (depending on the model) has between 1-gig of memory to 80 gigs of memory.

iPods work great with PCs or with Macs - doesn't matter - no diff there. The battery of the iPod lasts a very long time (depends on the model) and it charges off the USB connection to the computer or via a wall charger - or car charger (like you would with your cell phone.)

For a 12 year old, I highly recommend the Nano iPod - it's durable, small, and comes in flashy colors that kids love. Just make sure she doesn't bring it to school - those are targeted to get stolen for sure!

Shellon, you could also look into one of many models from Creative... they have many mp3 players, they're less expensive than the ipods, they're not proprietary.. you can download or rip music from a number of sources, and they come with their own easy to navigate software...

I know that ipods are "it" but I've found Creative products to be very nice... I have the Zen Vision W but they have many, many sizes and styles... and I agree with sprawled, seeking a refurbished model will save you some bucks no matter which way you go. Oftentimes they're 'refurbished' solely because someone opened the box and decided to return them... and they usually carry all of the original warranties...

here's the Creative Site

Thanks! Another issue is her care for the thing. She's wanted one for awhile, and I used her last year gift of a portable dvd player to 'test' her on how well she takes care of a nice piece of equipment; that one being only 29.00 out of my wallet. (Aren't day after thanksgiving sales maddenly great?)

She's done really well at keeping it clean, picked up, etc., so that helped this mama too.

Her birthday is the 7th, so I have to get on it here.

Shellon,

Do you have Walgreen's in your town?

In this week's ad on page 6, they have a 512MB MP3 player regular priced $89.99 on sale for $49.99. Audio Solutions is the brand name. Includes stereo earbuds and USB cable. Built-in rechargeable lithium battery and built-in voice recorder.

I do not know if this is a good one or anything about them, but thought you may be interested.

Edited by act2

It's easier than carrying around her cd player apparently eh?

Yes, they tend to be much smaller than their wav counterparts.

One thing which hasn't been mentioned yet is, how much music does the player have to hold? It seems as if mp3 players use 1 meg per minute of music. This means a 512mb player will hold somewhere in the vicinity of 150-200 songs. Once you determine that, I think the choice will be much simpler.

Shellon,

You may want to call ahead to make sure they have them in stock. At that price, they may sell out quickly.

Kelly is very lucky to have a mom like you!!!

Think I've found what I'm looking for, thanks everyone.

I have a really big problem with buying a kid an expensive gift when she's a typical kid that doesn't always take care of her stuff, loses interest faster than the prices change and is a piece of equipment that I can't figure out.

Appreciate all you help

if the child who comes over downloads songs from limewire ?? (for free), that could be the reason your computer gets messed up

awwwww shell, eventually you have to get her one :)

No, you can rip from CDs - and download from Limewire - and still import into iTunes to sync with the iPod. It's all very easy.

LOL bless your heart Chas, just reading that was difficult for this mama

Also the neighbor can't figure it out anymore and I am no help to her so she won't be trying again.

• 3 months later...

:) Hi Sushi

She can't put more or differant stuff on it, but she's happy for the moment.

Her cousin keeps saying he'll show her more, blah blah but never shows up.

Then the neighbor kid came over to download more stuff on hers and as usual, my computer didn't work afterwards.

So Kelly is stuck with what the thing came with, but for now she's happy with that.

At the yard sale, I was sure she might as well hit the flush handle and lose her $6 but the faith of a child.......And Kelly can afford it.

So, she's happy for the moment, I don't hear anymore about wanting an ipod, all is well.

One thing that's pretty famous about p2p software like limewire (or SOME things downloaded from the 'net)

is that all kinds of things you DON'T want get installed WITH them, like ticks or barnacles that have to be

pried off.

Right after someone else messes with your pc like that,

you should run an anti-virus, an anti-spyware, and anti-adware program.

(one you've just updated, for that matter.)

Let me know if you need those- there are free versions of each that are easy to use.

I already figure you're using a firewall.