GreaseSpot Cafe

Going to the new museum

Bolshevik

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how do you determine that evolution is indeed a set of 'natural processes acting blindly'? How do you come to the conclusion (scientifically of course ;) ) that evolution isn't acting rather, according to a set(s) of biological/geological laws that are continuously in operation, even if some of them are undetecteable to one human's observation? See, that's one of the creationist's BIG misunderstandings of how evolution works. They presume that it's all by some blind and random chance with no laws to guide what occurs. You show the same unscientific mistake by means of that quote being one of your favorite phrases.

If it's not by *blind and random chance*, perhaps there is a higher power behind it all??

Sorry for interrupting --- carry on! :)

1) Press the Big Green Button. :biglaugh:

But seriously, I think you know how it works. You just don't accept it as scientifically viable.

I do. And I think I have a lot of solid scientific facts and information to back me up. Evidently you don't agree.

Ahh well, perhaps you could email federal judge John E. Jones (the one that ruled in that Dover PA Intelligent Design ruling), and get a copy of his ruling to find out why he doesn't share your view likening evolution and creationism as equal alternatives to be taught in science classes. Keep in mind that he, too, is a Christian, and a somewhat fundamentalist one at that.

Here is a good portion of his response on Wikipedia.

Enjoy! :B)

Dmiller,

I already gave a clue as to why it wouldn't be blind and random chance, ie.: "... according to a set(s) of biological/geological laws that are continuously in operation, even if some of them are undetecteable to one human's observation?" ... See? Nothing 'blind and random' about it.

Edited by GarthP2000

I got solid 'c's in Science, and make no claims or arguements, but if this museum is telling me that dinosaurs and humans coexisted, and I'm only going by what I've heard, then that's enough for me steer clear. Unless I want a good laugh.

The creation museum's proof that humans lived with dinosaurs (even had them as pets):

Flintstones_wallpaper.jpg

birds are technically considered dinosaurs. Ask an evolutionist.

Man coexisted with monstrous sized mammals, no one has a problem with that. But coexisting with dinosaurs is silly, why? Because they were big? What's the reasoning?

Meanwhile, in other creationist tourism news, la familie Pyle will be landing in Dayton TN Sunday eve.

Dayton TN?

Home of the infamous Scopes Monkey Trial...

What that about?

Here's a good summary of the creationism time-line:

A Creation "Science" Geologic Time Scale

(1) 4000 B.C. Creation Week: (laws of science suspended)

Day 1 - Space, light & dark, earth materials.

Day 2 - Waters above and waters below.

Day 3 - Earth's crust and plants.

Day 4 - Sun, moon, and stars in place.

Day 5 - Atmosphere + animals of the waters.

Day 6 - Land animals + Adam & Eve.

Day 7 - Day of rest.

1,500 years. Pre-Flood "Geology." Laws of science invalid.

(2) Adam and Eve, talking snakes, etc.

(3) World's waters are in great Venus-like atmosphere or in ground

water. No rain, no ocean basins.

(4) Radiometric dating invalid; speed of light changed.

(5) Humans, dinosaurs, mammals, the "works," all live together in

peace. Both lions and Tyranosaurus Rex are vegetarians in Eden before

the "fall."

(6) Human life spans up to 900 years.

(7) Battle of Satan and angels produces craters on moon.

Flood Year: Flood "Geology" - ONE (?) year of normal (?) "science"

Rain - 40 days

(8) Big animals run to mountain tops. Not a single dumb human caught

in all the early flood sediments. All dinosaurs washed off only in

middle flood-time.

(9) Coral reefs (Guadalupe Mountains of Texas) grow to thicknesses of

half a mile during single year.

(10) Vast coal beds accumulate one on top of another, each as original

swamp deposits on order of 100 feet thick, all in one year.

(11) Mile-thick salt formations in Utah form by evaporation (!) of

seawater during (!) the flood.

Flood - about 250 days.

(12) Most of the world's sedimentary rocks dumped on continents to

average thickness of one mile, almost entirely during the flood year.

(13) Most continental drift occurs. Flood waters drain into the newly

formed ocean basins. Atlantic opens at average rate of 1/2 mile per

hour.

(14) Most deep sea sediments (average about 1,500 feet thick) collect

on the newly opened ocean floors.

(15) Hawaiian volcano built 30,000 feet high on new sea floor. (Cools

enough for birds and plants from Ark to colonize soon after end of

flood year.

Final Retreat - ? 100 days ?

(16)Volcano of Mount Ararat built 7,000 feet high underwater and cools

in time for grounding of the Ark.

(17) Successive Yellowstone ash beds bury 10 to 27 forests one on top

of another, all grown during single year.

(18) Grand Canyon cut by receding flood waters. Flood sediments

de-water and harden in one year to rock strong enough to stand as

steep, mile-high cliffs.

Post-Flood Geology - 4,500 years of normal (?) science to

Present

(19)From Ark, Noah (?) directs streams of distinctive animal and plant

communities to migrate to Africa, Australia, South America, etc.

(Ferry service ?) (Some creationists use post-flood continental

drift at rates up to one mile per hour !)

(20)Sun stands still for Israelite battle. Earth stops rotating and

then starts again due to near-miss by Venus out of its orbit ?

(Velikovsky)

(21)Only one ice age as post-flood atmosphere cools.

Geologists' abundant evidence of many great ice advances

separated by sub-tropical vegetation and development of thick soil zones

between some advances are wrong.

(22)Late-flood granite masses, formed at 1,000 degrees (F.), cool to

present low temperatures at rates in violation of all laws of thermal

physics. Fit to radiometric dates is mere coincidence.

(23)Extreme rates of continental drift typical of flood (1/2 mile per

hour) suddenly slow to present-day laser-measured rates of inches per

year. Accord of present rates with radiometric dates is mere chance.

(24)Coral reefs (Bikini, Eniwetok) grow 1/2 to 1 mile thick in first

1,000 years (rate of one foot per month) then slow to present measured

rates of inches per century.

Nobody knows how gravity works either. Must not exist.

Ice Age

Real evidence for multiple glaciation is overwhelming. Older works on glacial geology (Flint, 1971; Wright and Frey, 1965) describe in great detail arguments for four great ice ages in the last two million or so years. This evidence includes well developed soil horizons and sub-tropical vegetation over-run by succeeding ice advances (Morrison and Wright, 1965). More recent works (Goudie, 1983; Wright, 1989; Dawson, 1992; Anderson and Borns, 1994) support these observations and further separate the four advances into about ten different advances. In addition, they give evidence of several other very much older glacial epochs, including some Precambrian ones which would have been "pre-flood."

Probably the best arguments for the magnitude of ice age time is the record from long cores taken through the ice caps of Greenland and Antarctica. In the Antarctic ice, summer and winter bands can be counted back, year by year, to at least 30,000 years (Anderson and Borns, 1994) with overall core lengths indicating total time spans of several hundred thousand years. Dates from counting the annual layers in the cores can in turn be correlated with C14 dates from the CO2 contained in entrapped air bubbles, with C14 dates from tree ring correlations which can be counted and correlated back 12,000 years, with annual sediment layers from glacial lakes, with dates from the pollen records of climatic change in Europe and America, and with radiometric dates and rate of sedimentation dates on deep sea cores. Most of these dates can in turn be stitched together and mutually supported by paleomagnetic dates from other areas and dating techniques (summaries by Anderson and Borns, 1994). As new evidence is gained and dating techniques are refined, all these lines of converging evidence show increasing good correlations with the Malenkovich cycles, based on Newtonian celestial mechanics, an additional set of time determinations linked to modern astronomic measurements. To argue in the face of such massive and interlocking evidence that the entire span of the Ice Ages constituted only the last few thousand years must represent a supreme example of faith overcoming reason.

To argue in the face of such massive and interlocking evidence that the entire span of the Ice Ages constituted only the last few thousand years must represent a supreme example of faith overcoming reason.

Yes, heresy doesn't guarantee correctness.

Now, if you'll be so kind as to explain the other side of the argument?

Yes the museum covers those.

For now I'm focusing on the genetic side of things, since that is where I am most knowledgeable. I'm new to the creation stuff and want to give it an honest look. If there are serious problems, I will find them.

Doesn't take an Einstein to see the problems with isotope dating. (are there 12,000 year old trees?) Do you know what the assumptions are?

Anyway, breed an ape with a human, I'll probably start seeing things your way.

oesn't take an Einstein to see the problems with isotope dating. (are there 12,000 year old trees?) Do you know what the assumptions are?

The Age of Life, Radiometric Dating, and Tree Rings

If you haven't seen any problems with creationism yet, you're not looking (intentionally?).

What that about?

The famous Scopes trial was set up by the ACLU to test a Tennessee prohibition that in effect outlawed the teaching of evolution. It pitted attorney superstar Clarence Darrow against political & oratorical superstar William Jennings Bryan. Can you imagine the media frenzy if it were today?

Darrow lost the trial but won the press, which was his strategy to begin with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopes_Trial

The famous Scopes trial was set up by the ACLU to test a Tennessee prohibition that in effect outlawed the teaching of evolution. It pitted attorney superstar Clarence Darrow against political & oratorical superstar William Jennings Bryan. Can you imagine the media frenzy if it were today?

Darrow lost the trial but won the press, which was his strategy to begin with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopes_Trial

It wasn't until a few months ago that I even knew there was a creationist side. (Other than the simple "It not true" argument of a lot of Christians). It seems to me, if anyone is hiding information, its the evolutionists. They didn't mention this at the University. Just like when I leave twi and find there is more to the trinity than they told me. The creationist side needs a look-see.

What is happening now in Dayton, TN?

Yes the museum covers those.
Uhhh, ... how effectively?
For now I'm focusing on the genetic side of things, since that is where I am most knowledgeable. I'm new to the creation stuff and want to give it an honest look. If there are serious problems, I will find them.

Now why does that last sentence of yours, "If there are serious problems, I will find them." bear an eerily similar 'look and feel' to when Weirwille made a similar statement in PFAL, along the lines of "Just follow along in the Bible with me, class. If there are any mistakes, I'll tell you"? <_<

And apparently you aren't as knowledgable in the genetics field (particularly in relation to evolution) as you seem to claim, as your snide remark, "Anyway, breed an ape with a human, I'll probably start seeing things your way." illustrates. Again, you show no understanding of how evolution works. It wasn't a case where there were generation after generation of apes, and then *POOF* along comes man in the generation after that. And evolutionary scientists never portray it like that. ... Only the ignorant presume that that is how evolution works. Which would make evolution unworkable, ... IF that's the way it works.

Why would I delibritely want to lie to myself again?

There's nothing stopping anybody from lying to themselves in such a manner, if what they were faced with contradicts a belief system that they hold near and dear to themselves. That is why Creationists fight so hard, and come up with the pseudo-scientific song-and-dance that they do. Because evolution, like very few (if any) other sciences, directly says, "Hey! The Genesis account isn't valid!" That Kentucky museum comes right out and says it! If you don't believe the Genesis 1-14 account, might as well throw away the Bible as a true and believeable account overall. Which a lot of people are scared to do.

Is the Bible really that dependant upon the Genesis account? Is your belief in the Bible really so dependant upon the Genesis account? ..... Sounds kind of fragile to me, ... ya think? :unsure:

Now _there's_ some questions to run by those folks for them to seriously consider.

. . .

Now why does that last sentence of yours, "If there are serious problems, I will find them." bear an eerily similar 'look and feel' to when Weirwille made a similar statement in PFAL, along the lines of "Just follow along in the Bible with me, class. If there are any mistakes, I'll tell you"? <_<

. . .

You just accused me of being another VPW.

I can no longer discuss any matter with you.

Bolshevik,

Ok, you're right. I went over the top with that response to what I thought was an appeal to authority in your "If there are serious problems, I will find them." remark. A good number of us _already_ are finding serious problems in their portrayal, and frankly, we don't need you to be The One to be the final authority on this. ... True, I'm no final authority here either. None of us here are.

But that said, the way I responded did give the impression that you were like VPW, ... which you aren't. Not by a long shot. So on that, I apologize.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/04...1/fulltext.html

So much for one part of the evolutionary process, known as anagenesis, during which a single species is transformed. But there's also a second part, known as speciation. Genetic changes sometimes accumulate within an isolated segment of a species, but not throughout the whole, as that isolated population adapts to its local conditions. Gradually it goes its own way, seizing a new ecological niche. At a certain point it becomes irreversibly distinct—that is, so different that its members can't interbreed with the rest. Two species now exist where formerly there was one. Darwin called that splitting-and-specializing phenomenon the "principle of divergence." It was an important part of his theory, explaining the overall diversity of life as well as the adaptation of individual species.

Here's another problem I run into. I keep marine fish. I know, that the most specialized fish are extremely hard to keep. Also folks get upset about destroying places like the rain forest because species get wiped out, because that's the only place they can live.

I don't see how a population adapted to specific places can become new species entirely (as in the difference between felines and canines). It seems that when species get too different, they get more fragile (unless kept in their specific habitat.) Unless of course huge changes in large areas become more like their microenvironment. I'm not convinced this would result in macroevolution.

What the creationists are postulating is that each animal type was made. That animal type contained the ability to adapt to many environments. So like with bears, you have tropical bears and polar bears. But they are all still bears. (The ark would have had bear representitives, so a refrigerator for polar bears was unneccesary.)

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/horse.html

Here's an interesing article. Especially about the ribs of horses.

They make mention of the okapi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okapi

The okapi was once used to show the evolution of the horse. Take a look, it's obvious to me it is related to a giraffe. I bet a okapi-giraffe hybrid is possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeding_back

I've heard of people trying to recreate the evolution of dogs from wolves by taking tamer wolves and breeding them. (Dogs and wolves are sometimes considered the same species.)

Apparently, attempts have been made to re-evolve extinct animals by taking a related species and selectively breeding.

It shows a working model that doesn't contradict the Bible, and can honestly incorporate the variety of species we see.

A question I had was would the Ark need to carry for instance, polar bears, brown bears, black bears, and other bear spieces. The answer is no, just a couple bears.

So, God makes two bears in Eden. Those bears diversify into a variety of species. Two(or seven?) representitive bears stay on the Ark. Then leave the Ark and would diversify into the bears we know. The bears found in the fossil record not like ones we know were varieties that developed after the Fall and in killed in the Flood.

This could also answer someone's question about penguins. There are penguins today that live in warmer climates than Antartica. (New Zealand, Chile). There could very well have been penguins, not from colder climates, on the Ark. Those penguins would not need a refridgerator unit. I believe I've heard of giant, or just big, penguins in the fossil record. So this model accounts for the animals from a variety of climates, since the animals coming off the Ark would eventually adapt to new places.

Edited by Bolshevik

http://www.physorg.com/news88139040.html

Recent article that mention Neanderthal and people interbreeding. People, like animals, prior to the flood probably had more ability to diversify, since their gentic blueprints were "closer to the original." Skulls that look slightly different than our own were probably people (neanderthal, homo hablis, etc.). Those skulls that look like apes, were apes.

Human evolution link:

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humanevolution/

Edited by Bolshevik