GreaseSpot Cafe

work uniforms - the socialization of America?

batcave

Ok, I've got a couple of days off and thought I'd rant a little about something that irritates me to no end.

My company recently went to the polo shirt with logo and khaki pant uniform that so many other companies are going to. First of all, it's not a look that flatters every body. If you're a full-figured curvy girl like me, the shirt tucked in with a belt is not a look I would choose on my own. I haven't even owned a belt in 15 years. I worked part time at a leading plus size retail company and acquired a very nice professional looking wardrobe that I am no longer allowed to wear to work.

When I went to lunch the other day, I saw no less than five people in line with "the uniform". It kind of reminded me of the old Wendy's commercial where they had the Russian fashion show--- a large woman in a drab gray dress carrying a beach ball ("svimvear!"); same gray dress with a flashlight ("evening vear!").

You know, there used to be another way to figure out who was employed at a retail store. THEY WERE WORKING!

This is something Lewis Black should be talking about. :realmad:

Ok, I've got a couple of days off and thought I'd rant a little about something that irritates me to no end.

My company recently went to the polo shirt with logo and khaki pant uniform that so many other companies are going to. First of all, it's not a look that flatters every body. If you're a full-figured curvy girl like me, the shirt tucked in with a belt is not a look I would choose on my own. I haven't even owned a belt in 15 years. I worked part time at a leading plus size retail company and acquired a very nice professional looking wardrobe that I am no longer allowed to wear to work.

When I went to lunch the other day, I saw no less than five people in line with "the uniform". It kind of reminded me of the old Wendy's commercial where they had the Russian fashion show--- a large woman in a drab gray dress carrying a beach ball ("svimvear!"); same gray dress with a flashlight ("evening vear!").

You know, there used to be another way to figure out who was employed at a retail store. THEY WERE WORKING!

This is something Lewis Black should be talking about. :realmad:

Do you have to wear a hat??

Gee, I'm torn on this one.

I love the idea of school uniforms. Sure cuts out all the fuss of "trying to keep up with the Joneses" especially for fashion plate girls.

At work we wear uniforms, they are scrubs. Sudo has 5 pair of the same color pants and shirt and is fine with that. The 5 ladies there pick the uniform jacket we like, and then choose any style or color of scrubs that match or blend with the jacket. Can be a hassle with the tastes of just 5 women, so would never work for a large office. But I love knowing it's Monday, so I wear this jacket and can choose from these scrubs. And scrubs are so comfy - almost like wearing your pjs to work.

I can see where uniforms would be a plus in some places so that you could identify the help easily (as customer service is lacking in so many places). But in many office settings, seems like a uniform would not be necessary.

Guess it's really upsetting when you are already working in a place and have your wardrobe in place and THEN they switch to uniforms. Wouldn't be as big a deal if you knew on the front end they wore uniforms and you would have to follow suit in order to be employed there.

Good luck with your struggle, Batcave. Sorry the rules got switched on you mid-game.

Suda

I remember working for Bass Shoes (when they were still made in Maine) when I was in high school, and they decided to impose a dresscode - long-sleeved oxford shirts with a buttondown collar, navy or brown or black pants, a man's tie, and oxford shoes or pennyloafers.

As a woman who always wears very short hair, I looked... well.... very masculine.

I figured out how to "fem" things up a bit - I'm not real girly-girl but this dresscode was not for people with... well... boobs.

Anyhow, it made getting easy for work a breeze and sorta made for better overall moral, in the long run.

I think if you stick with it and look for loopholes where you can be "you" - then you'll be okay.

But if it's a real pain - look for another job. Life's too short to be miserable in a monkey suit.

There's a band in Ohio named McGuffey Lane.

They used to do a song that had these lyrics:

"My name is Burt

It's on my shirt

I'll pump your gas

And kick your----------------."

I have to wear a shirt that has my first name over the right pocket.

It drives me nuts when I am at "Burger Biggy" and the counter person addresses me by name.

Likewise if I pop into the grocery on the way home.

It gives people a license to pretend they know you.

THEY DON"T!!!

What's just as bad is that the company name and logo is over the other pocket.

They seem to think that entitles them to free technical advise.

IT DOESN'T!!!

Of course the flip side is that I save a ton of money because I never have to buy clothes for work.

No real point, just rambling.

Sameness of companywear isn't new. IBM was famous for its (now obsolete and expired) company policy of dark slacks, white shirt and tie for the guys, and some sort of conservative pantsuit/dress for the ladies.

Or how about that realty company (I forget it's name, but they are the ones with the multi-colored balloon as its logo) who requires all of its realty sales agents to wear a yellowish jacket?

Garth,

Is it Remax (on track)? Think they have the balloons. We used a Remax agent here when we bought our home, but don't remember a yellow jacket. I would have run! Maybe they just use it in commercials as an attention getter.

Suda

batcave and ChasU,

Seems pretty evident the folks who mandate that type of "uniform" are men.

Perhaps they want this type of uniform to "de-sexualize" the workplace and reduce the possibility of sexual harassment lawsuits.

------------------

I wonder how male employees would react if the owners of a company mandated they would have to wear flower-print dresses as part of their "uniform".

"Uhhhhh, no ma'am, this is not a dress. More like a kilt."

"Oh really? and what clan tartan would that be on your 'kilt'?"

"Uhhhh.....Clan Stupid?" :rolleyes::confused:

I can see where uniforms would be a plus in some places so that you could identify the help easily (as customer service is lacking in so many places). But in many office settings, seems like a uniform would not be necessary.

I agree with this. It sounds like batcave works in retail, so a uniform makes sense. In fact, I thought pretty much all retail other than mom and pop shops did use something related to a uniform to help identify who works there.

I remember a year or two ago this group of people staged an event where a bunch of random people showed up at Best Buy wearing khaki pants and a blue t-shirt (the Best Buy uniform) and freaked out the real employees. The fake workers ended up helping people and acting like they worked there, until they got kicked out. I couldn't find the video on youtube but it was hilarious.

Yes, I do work for a regional cell company, so it is retail but also bill payments and tech support. I also agree that the people who pick out the uniforms are men with no hips. If they gave people a choice of say, a polo or a button up shirt, whichever was most flattering, that would help.

It's not enough of an aggravation to quit, but it does irritate me, especially with all the "sameness" you see in most other retail outlets.

I also hate wearing my shirt anywhere else because the logo is on the shirt and I do get questions about cell phones while I'm at lunch.

I have my employees wear a company staff shirt when they work. This way the customers know who to go talk to when they need something. My original idea was that our head wall supervisor on duty (I own an indoor rock climbing gym) would wear a red shirt. that way in case of an accident, people are psychologically wired to be attracted to red. Most mass casualty teams have the man in charge wearing red because people will look for and go to someone in red. I'm a ski patroller in the winter and we wear red jackets.

So there is reason to my madness. Also I think our polo staff shirts look really sharp and give a professional image to our customers.