GreaseSpot Cafe

Lasik Eye Surgery

Hills Bro

what I'm currently doing is wearing contact lenses for a year that mimic the correction I can get via surgery. Once I put them in I can't read anything, or have trouble reading anything, at arm's length or closer (even the date on my watch). I'm still trying to decide if I want the full time hassle of always having to have readers around (but it doesn't seem to bother Tonto and TBone that much!)...

On the price, there are enough reputable folks around here doing it that it's about the same cost (over 6 or 7 years) as I'd spend on glasses or contacts anyway... and I do want to be able to wear the cool sunglasses!

Rock, my wife has had cataract surgery on both eyes (yes, one at a time, about 2 years apart).

Normally, cataracts don't show up until 70's and beyond. Any idea why you (and my sainted wife) needed them so young?

Our ophthalomogist does Lasik, though her forte is trauma surgery as well as cataracts (she's done over 10,000). I asked about Lasik for moi and she said that she wears glasses & contacts and no way she'd have Lasik done on her...

Hmmm

Rock, my wife has had cataract surgery on both eyes (yes, one at a time, about 2 years apart).

Normally, cataracts don't show up until 70's and beyond. Any idea why you (and my sainted wife) needed them so young?

Well, the eye clinic at the VA (where I first went to get them to authorize the surgery) told me that everyone gets cataracts... it's just that most don't show up until people are older like that.

My understanding is that there are a number of factors that can expedite formation so that surgery is necessary in "younger" people.

First is genetics. Both my parents had cataract surgery when they were in their early 50s. So, the fact that I developed them at this age seems pretty reasonable to me.

Other factors that I'm aware of (and there may be others) include diabetes and exposure to UV light (like being outside in daylight longer or more frequently than many other people). I'm not diabetic. And I don't work outdoors... but they DO call the Phoenix metro area the "valley of the sun".

As a note of disclaimer, I would have NO idea why your wonderful wife would have needed the surgery at her age (whatever age that may be).

Since I had my surgery, I've talked to several other people who either have only had one eye done or waited a long time before doing the second eye. Given the pronounced (dramatic) difference in the eyes after the first one was done, I'd probably go (more) nuts if I had to wait two years in between surgeries. There for the two weeks, I was driving without glasses but could really only see what I needed to see while driving with only one eye. It was a most bizarre experience. Of course, if they had NOT implanted the lens, I would have been able to get by with the old (bifocal) glasses.

However, with only one eye done I could tell a substantial difference in the color everything seemed to be. The post-op eye let in more light and everything therefore was brighter with whiter whites. The NON post-op eye saw everything as if I was looking through a dark brown shade screen over a window. It was so significant that I could see the difference (when I looked in a mirror) in how dialated the two pupils became. That is, apparently, also very common.

I'm learning a lot from everyone although there seems to be some conflicting advice. I'm only 50 minutes from Niagara Falls , Canada. My understanding is that they have the latest and most updated equipment. I will schedual an exam to see if I qualify for Lasik. Thanks for the help.

I'm learning a lot from everyone although there seems to be some conflicting advice. I'm only 50 minutes from Niagara Falls , Canada. My understanding is that they have the latest and most updated equipment. I will schedual an exam to see if I qualify for Lasik. Thanks for the help.

Hills Bro, didn't know you were so close to Fort Erie. I suggest you visit Lasek there too. Just a thought. Her name is Teal.

Bump

Technically, everyone is born with cataracts. When you were still a fetus, the lenses in your eyes were connected to and nourished by the hyaloid arteries. Shortly before birth, these arteries dissolved because their purpose had been served. Small pieces of them remain in your eyes(in the fluid part) and float around for the rest of your life like "space junk". You can't see the pieces but sometimes you will see shadows of them being cast on the back of your eye. These are commonly called"floaters".

The point at which these arteries were attached to the lenses is called Mitendorf's Dot.( Named for the person who discovered it). It is actually a cataract.

However, this is not the type of cataract that generally causes problems.

Cataracts, other than Mitendorf's Dot, are caused by an interruption of the metabolism of the lens.

(The lens never stops growing, much like your hair and finger nails. At some point in time, it gets so big and thick, it can no longer flex back and forth to focus so you wind up with bifocals.)

So, if the growth process is interrupted by drugs or disease or trauma, such as blow to the eye from a car wreck or sporting injury, there will be an inconsistent growth pattern in the lens.( Ever see this type of thing in a finger nail?) Trauma from the use of forceps at birth can even cause an interruption in the growth pattern. Some cataracts advance very rapidly. Some grow very slowly. I don't think anyone really knows why.

Well, that's way off topic from LASIK but I hope it shed some light on your question.

I work for an opthalmologist, 8 years now. I was (he stopped doing lasik) his lasik tech (ran the laser) marketing director and patient counselar.

To my knowledge NO ONE has ever gone blind from lasik. They may have had severe post operative complications that resulted in uncorrectable vision, but to my knowledge no one has EVER gone blind.

It is not for EVERYONE.

MANY MANY aspects to it. It is not cut and dry.

#1 all surgical procedures have their unique risks and posible side effects

------- so evaluate risks vs rewards

Remember this one thing... a cheap price means small margins. The ONLY way to make money with small margins is to do a LOT of surgeries... that in itself is not good or bad BUT when you're a borderline case... they COULD possibily be influenced by numbers and take a little more risk. Whereas a surgeon with a higher price is NOT going to do that.

Whatever you do, go see at least two,minimum, and prefferably three before you decide who does your eyes.

I think it's a miraculous procedure. I could NEVER have helped people and done this if I didn't TOTALLY believe it's a good thing. BUT the #1 thing is you, i.e. You have to be a good candidate for the procedure. If you are, and all the dots line up right, it could be perfect for you.

If anyone wants to PM me for more info I am happy to respond.

I don't know "Danny's" circumstances, I have a mountain of compassion for you brother.

Hey Al

I love you.

Pray you are good.

And the peace of God is you life.

Yes we had some BS to my deal.

The end result I could see forever for a few years.

now its the same as before plus can't read.

oh yea I couldn't read before the deal.

Down here in cajun land you get to read after you go to LS and U