GreaseSpot Cafe

Are Squirrels Evil?

Ham

Are they really evil?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Squirrel experiences:

• Never had a problem. They are my friends
    • They are a minor inconvenience. Ate my bulbs and tulips
    • They are nasty. Attacked my car. Filled the breather tube and engine with acorns.
    • They are destructive. Removed roof/siding/insulation from my house.
    • They are pure evil. I was attacked by a squirrel.

I feed the little rascals. My lady friend here says they are evil. Says I have lived a sheltered life, and have not experienced first hand the evil destructive power of the Squirrel. Of course, if they removed the air cleaner and stuffed acorns down the car's carberator, I might be a little upset too.

But I have an "agreement" with the squirrels in this particular neigborhood. I feed them sufficient nuts and seed, and they leave us alone. Of course, the squirrels do not have the same agreement with the other neighbors..

:biglaugh:

OH yes, you may choose more than one option in this poll.

well.. that's an idea!

But the main point of the poll is to give a rating to various squirrel experience, in terms of their evil or lack therof.

Maybe I'll do anoither one, "rate their entertainment value"

remember, more than one choice is allowed with your vote. Some poor soul may have had experiences three through five..

Squirrels are in my opinion tree rats.

They can be fun to watch.

If you have a pecan tree and want any pecans they are evil. I have yet to get a single one from either of my two trees.

The two methods of dealing with them are trapping and shooting.

One lady was trapping them and then painted them to see if they came back. Yes they do. Remove them more than 10 miles.

Shooting works great to a point. (local pd told him to use a shotgun). I get nervous when the neighbour starts blasting away in town.

It only takes the power company an hour and a half to get out and replace the fuse when they step the wrong way up the pole. Sounds like a cannon going off.

Edited by ex70'shouston

It only takes the power company an hour and a half to get out and replace the fuse when they step the wrong way up the pole. Sounds like a cannon going off.

Hmm. Ever find "anything" left, a tail, or something?

sometimes that happens when they lay across the terminals of older transformers. Of course the transformer is a little more costly to replace than a fuse..

One lady was trapping them and then painted them to see if they came back. Yes they do. Remove them more than 10 miles.

The deer are the worst here though, as far as garden destrucion is concerned. The people in the county had a "marvelous" idea about ten or so years ago.. construct massive cage traps, and relocate the deer five counties north..

remember, more than one choice is allowed with your vote. Some poor soul may have had experiences three through five..

Probably the guy five houses down the block, who is cursing the name of the moron who's feeding them, allowing them to breed well beyond their normal proportions.

When we lived in NC, we had a pecan tree in our back yard. We also had a huge silver maple, which was hollow and full of squirrels. OUr house had been empty for 11 years, then lived in by the woman who sold it to us for a year or two, then we bought it. Naturally, the squirrels thought the pecan tree was theirs. Our cocker spaniel, Maxx the Wonder Dog, and I soon convinced them there was a new bully in town. They would shake the tree top to knock the pecans down. Maxx and I would hear them fall, and run out the back door. Maxx would keep the little tree rats up in the tree while I gathered the nuts.

Our house was brick, and the squirrels used to climb up the bricks. One even was climbing a window screen much to my surprise.

I totally agree about the deer. They have eaten two cherry trees we planted right down to the ground. Ditto the willows. There is a herd of from 10-20 in the woods back of our house, which belongs to our next door neighbor, who feeds the damn things! They come over to my side for dessert. They are pretty though. Both my brothers-in-law offered to come thin the herd the first hunting season we lived here, but there are too many kids around, and I really like my neighbors and wouldn't want them upset.

You can get stuff to spray on your plants and trees to keep them off. And Ro-Pel will protect your bulbs.

WG

There is a herd of from 10-20 in the woods back of our house, which belongs to our next door neighbor, who feeds the damn things! They come over to my side for dessert.

You could always put out a better "spread" for them. Then maybe they'd go over to the neighbor's for "dessert"..

They are cute little critters. I have nothing for them to destroy. If you look at my yahoo 360 (goinsolo4631) I have pictures of them in my photostream. I sat as still as possible and they came right up to my face. I sat on the picnic table in the park very still and these little critters came right up on top of the table and stared me down until my kids saw it and came running over. It was the most amazing encounter I have ever had.

Can a Squirrel eat through this thread and in the process "de-rail" whatever the point of this thread is supposed to be? :confused: Only Kidding Ham. Squirrels aren't so bad unless they take over your winter home while you're away!

Ham, I just read that even the French think squirrels are totally 100% EVIL! So there you have it, the Tour de France, doping and evil squirrels drinking French wine on the stairwell talking up the girls!