GreaseSpot Cafe

bless patrol

gladtobeout

Ok so here is what I would like to know. How did "bless patrol" get started. I understand that during the ROA it is nice to people around to help those in need, but what about in the way corps? I mean were those on staff afraid that the facility would be robbed or something. I wondered this every time I did bless patrol at Emporia. Gunnison was out in the middle of no place, so why there? Does anyone know?

Ok so here is what I would like to know. How did "bless patrol" get started. I understand that during the ROA it is nice to people around to help those in need, but what about in the way corps? I mean were those on staff afraid that the facility would be robbed or something. I wondered this every time I did bless patrol at Emporia. Gunnison was out in the middle of no place, so why there? Does anyone know?

Any school, college, dormitory, church, warehouse, business, political office, or campus of any sort, needs a minimal security staff, because no matter what your belief or the purpose of the business or organization, there is always an element in society that will take advantage of any opportunity to commit crime, be it vandalism, theft, burglary, rape, or even murder. Having a minimal show of security measures or staff can be a deterrent in and of itself.

However, TWI's odd policies, doctrine, and reputation for being a cult made it an unwelcome neighbor in Emporia. When you are an unwelcome neighbor, then, you might have unwelcome activity coming your way. Just like at TWI, teen townies were wont to do mischief. Bless Patrol's presence helped deter that to some degree.

Despite their efforts there were still incidents. Anybody in 6th Corps remember the drive-by mooning in front of Kenyon Auditorium?

I remember bless patrol at one of the early ROA's.

I think it was 1973. It was that one that was at a fairground that was only used for one Rock.( Allen Co., maybe?)

I was not on bless patrol but some of the people in my twig were. It seems they told me their prime objective was to stop unauthorized visitors(ie: gate crashers) from entering without paying for a ticket.

There were other ones who were assigned to helping people set up tents and some who emptied trash cans and so forth.

How it evolved into a security force, I don't know.

When I lived in NC, our state was volunteer bless patrol for the ROA. I participated a couple of times. My most dramatic incidents were kids on grounds riding their bikes in the wrong places or too fast, crossing the road without looking, etc. One time they were staff kids, I think one of them might have been a prince or something, so they gave me dirty looks and continued to try to mow down pedestrians, etc.

At RC, I absolutely hated it. We had to wait until midnight, then check the flossing list, and go wake up anyone who had not checked off that he/she had yea verily flossed his/her teeth that night and make them go check off their name or floss their teeth and then check off their name. One FWC 19, whose name escapes me, except that his wife was a dancer and he knew about bees, flatly refused to make people get up and check it off. He figured they worked too hard, so a subtle tap, didja floss buddy? and he checked it off for them.

WG

I remember bless patrol at one of the early ROA's.

I think it was 1973. It was that one that was at a fairground that was only used for one Rock.( Allen Co., maybe?)

I was not on bless patrol but some of the people in my twig were. It seems they told me their prime objective was to stop unauthorized visitors(ie: gate crashers) from entering without paying for a ticket.

There were other ones who were assigned to helping people set up tents and some who emptied trash cans and so forth.

How it evolved into a security force, I don't know.

ROA 71--Way Int'l HQ

ROA 72--Shelby County Fairgrounds, Sidney, OH

ROA 73--Shelby County Fairgrounds, Sidney, OH

ROA 74--Shelby County Fairgrounds, Sidney, OH

ROA 75--Lima County Fairgrounds, Lima, OH

ROA 76--Shelby County Fairgrounds, Sidney, OH

ROA 77--Shelby County Fairgrounds, Sidney, OH

ROA 78 thru 95--Way Int'l HQ

I believe TWI's security predates ROA. I believe Bob Ed Wierwille was THE security force in the early days. Any of you old timers remember? Socks?

p.s. I think I remember ROA 73 it was simply called "security." I think after that they came up with the name "Bless Patrol?"

Edited by Catcup

. . . Gunnison was out in the middle of no place, so why there? Does anyone know?

:offtopic:

I heard a few years ago they replaced the in residence corps doing bless patrol with a safety officer. They couldn't keep an eye on those in-residence enough. (They were doing naughty things :biglaugh: ).

Despite their efforts there were still incidents. Anybody in 6th Corps remember the drive-by mooning in front of Kenyon Auditorium?

I recall a mooning incident in front of Anderson library during it's dedication (I think 1979)...VP was there with a host of other twi bigwigs, standing on the stairs for the ceremony...suddenly a car horn blares and when everybody turns to look, theres some townie hanging his arse out the window...

...I had to turn my back so nobody would see me laughing.

I was working bp at Emporia when the drugstore that was kattie corner across the street was robbed. The robber then approached me on campus. I called the police and thank God he didn't try to harm me. My thought is that this was not the job for unarmed students. If the campus thinks they need security, then they need to hire armed security people. I was told that on bless patrol, we were not really there for security, but to pray for the student body.

Edited by gladtobeout

WordWolf, I think that was a different situation. They tried to make the Security guys at HQ into their own police force, with uniforms, badges, and vehicles, until the local authorities said "Uhn-UH, nothing doing!"

At Emporia, I don't think they ever did try to make it official or hand out badges, etc. It was just the Corps and College Program folks roaming the grounds in pairs all night speaking in tongues and praying. (or sneaking into the coolers for a snack, or finding a dark corner for a nap)

Amazing how naive we all were... while there were times I was really afraid, walking around in the dark, it really never occurred to me that we were stupid for doing it. I just figured I needed to conquor my fear.

While in the first block of my first year in the Tenth Corps at Emporia, I remember one night our twig having bless patrol duty from like midnight to 0200. When it was the next twig's turn to come and relieve us, everyone got a relief except me. I ended up being the last one there, waiting for my replacement while my twig pals all went off to bed for a few winks before the morning run, or whatever. And so, I waited and waited, and finally, I went over to Owens hall to wake up the girl named Gail who'd obviously not woken up. And so, I went over there and up to the girl's floor to wake her up. I slipped into their room, check a number of bunks out, and finally found Gail lying in a top bunk on top of her covers. But, she was stark naked! When I alerted to this fact, I turned for the door, fairly shocked, and half ready to do her shift for her because I didn't know how to wake her up without letting her know that I just saw he naked. But then I thought, "Well screw that! It's not my fault that she slept through, it's not my fault that she's naked, and I want a little shut eye! Maybe a little embarrassment is just what she needs!" And so, I went over to her bed, and while looking down, I tapped her on her shoulder until she woke up. When she did, I told her of my mission, and that I would appreciate her getting up and relieving me. At first she was apologetic, until she realized that she was naked and that I had undoubtedly "seen her". Then she was pi $$ed and hissed at me and cussed me with some expletives. And then another gal on the top bunk next to her woke up and saw what was going on and asked what was happening, but, I was halfway to the door by then. And when she made it over to the maintenance shop, She was all hacked off at me. I just let her vent, and headed off to bed. But not before I told her that It wasn't my fault that she chose to sleep nekked in a room full of other women, and that she didn't wake herself up. And so, after that, when I would see her in class, or across the dining room, I would wink at her, and she would smile and flip me the bird. And, were also friends after that as well. Funny way to make an introduction though!

Edited by Jonny Lingo

I remember one night our twig having bless patrol duty from like midnight to 0200. When it was the next twig's turn to come and relieve us, everyone got a relief except me. I ended up being the last one there, waiting for my replacement while my twig pals all went off to bed for a few winks before the morning run, or whatever. And so, I waited and waited, and finally went over to Owens hall to wake up the girl named Gail who'd obviously no woken up. And so, I went over there and up to the girl's floor to wake her up. I slipped into their room, and finally found Gail lying in a top bunk on top of her covers. And, she was stark naked! When I noticed that, I turned for the door, fairly shocked, and half ready to do her shift for her because I didn't know how to wake her up without letting her know that I saw he naked. But then I thought, "Well screw that! It's not my fault that she slept through, and I want a little shut eye! Maybe a little embarrassment is just what she needs!" And so, I went over to her bed, and while looking down, I tapped her on her shoulder until she woke up. When she did, I told her of my mission, and that I would appreciate her getting up and relieving me. At first she was apologetic, until she realized that she was naked and that I had undoubtedly "seen her". Then she was pi $$ed and hissed at me and cussed me with some expletives. And then another gal on the top bunk next to her woke up and saw what was going on and asked what was happening, but, I was halfway to the door by then. And when she made it over to the maintenance shop, She was all hacked off at me. I just let her vent, and headed off to bed. But not before I told her that It wasn't my fault that she chose to sleep nekked in a room full of other women, and that she didn't wake herself up. And so, after that, when I would see her in class, or across the dining room, I would wink at her, and she would smile and flip me the bird. And, were also friends as well. Funny way to make an introduction though!

That's about the funniest thing that I have heard in a long time.

:eusa_clap:

"At Emporia, I don't think they ever did try to make it official or hand out badges, etc. It was just the Corps and College Program folks roaming the grounds in pairs all night speaking in tongues and praying. (or sneaking into the coolers for a snack, or finding a dark corner for a nap)" quote

or looking for naked people to wake up

One of "security's" jobs was to wake people up in the middle of the night to make sure they had flossed their Teeth?????

Wait, you mean there was actually a list somewhere that ADULT people had to sign that they flossed their teeth???? You mean they actually put their names on the bloody thing????

:asdf: Excedrine ™ headache #125856781

One of "security's" jobs was to wake people up in the middle of the night to make sure they had flossed their Teeth?????

Wait, you mean there was actually a list somewhere that ADULT people had to sign that they flossed their teeth???? You mean they actually put their names on the bloody thing????

:asdf: Excedrine ™ headache #125856781

Oh, yeah. In the 6th Corps. we had a poster on the women's shower room in the dorm with all our names on it and we had to put a check mark by our name when we had flossed!

you sure that wasn't a 6th (i like the way alpha, evan, et al say that word) corps "bro" ? ;)

--

we were GREATLY rewarded for bless patrol

little sleep and a stale bag of popcorn

and maybe chickory ? coffee ha !