GreaseSpot Cafe

Shark

Daggoo

I have had fabulous dinners of Shark - in Key West and Miami. Absolutly delicious - a real treat.

However, tonight in my own little Maine kitchen I prepared (for the first & last time) Threasher Shark.

Now, I can cook ok (ccoked in the Bahamas on a yacht for 4 years). And I love to eat animals that would try to kill me if given the chance.

But, this was AWFUL! One slight bite and it all went into the trash. What a waste of money.

I cant even describe it - kind of High School Boy's smelly gym shoe greased down with motor oil and stringy/tough all at the same time...

Cooking a meal like that makes me humble...

Daggs

Threasher shark.... never heard of it!

Me, neither. The shark I have eaten has been delicious, tastes a lot like scallops. Even hear restuarants often substitute shark for scallops since it's cheaper and tastes the same, and shark steaks can be cut into the shape of scallops. But have no idea what kind of shark I ate, only that it was mighty good.

Suda

, tastes a lot like scallops. Even hear restuarants often substitute shark for scallops since it's cheaper and tastes the same, and shark steaks can be cut into the shape of scallops.

Suda

Before this bad supper, I have only seen Thresher sharks on the Discovery channel...

Skate (like a ray) is also punched out round for fake scallops too...

Swordfish and shark are fish that eat toxic metals, such as old ships and almost anything in the ocean. They taste good but are bad for you. I used to like them until I researched about fish. Farm raied fish is not good either. You may want to look for yourself.

www.mercola.com is one reallly good place for a lot of healthy info.

Always..we have choices.

Swordfish and shark are fish that eat toxic metals, such as old ships and almost anything in the ocean. They taste good but are bad for you. I used to like them until I researched about fish. Farm raied fish is not good either. You may want to look for yourself.

www.mercola.com is one reallly good place for a lot of healthy info.

Always..we have choices.

Thank you for your care and the good information!

BUT ---- I think lots of tartar sauce counteracts anything bad!

• 1 month later...

Mako and thresher sharks are said to be the best eating, but stores are known to substitute (as people were saying about shark/skate being passed off as scallops). I've done a fair amount of shark fishing (watch out Eyes! I'll bet the whole theme of this thread gives you pause! :B) ) and there are indeed some that are very bad for eating... the only one I can say from personal experience is blue shark. Looks good, tastes bad. Good shark is a lot like swordfish in texture and flavor.

I second the motion on mahi mahi. This is a food fish with scales, it grows fast and (at this time) is only caught wild. It's abundant and therefore inexpensive. I had it last night here at home. We get it frozen at Trader Joe's and it is outstanding broiled or on the grill. About $6 for two nice pieces.... perfect for Liz and me -- outstanding eating qualities.

mahi mahi is also called dolphinfish and dorado:

mahiComingIn.jpg

1001128_143-1.jpg

cr1.jpg

here's a mako being brought aboard Mike Homewood's boat, offshore of the Chesapeake Bay

makoWhalerCentralMikeHomewoodAnnapo.jpg

Edited by anotherDan