GreaseSpot Cafe

Of Modest Victories and Men

socks

Cool thread, socks!!

My parents owned a small grocery store as I was growing up. Our house was attached to it. Counting our parents, there were 10 people to feed, so having a grocery store was great in a number of ways!!!

My dad was reknown in the area for his sausage and smoked meats that he did. In fact, sometimes when I tell people who I am and who my dad is, they will mention that awesome meat that dad had in the store. I was 10 when we moved 'to the country' so I don't remember alot of things that the older ones do, such as working in the store every afternoon after school and all summer long!!! I do remember shucking corn in the back area of the store.

Anyway, thanks for bringing back some memories of my childhood.

I have am bivalent feelings about grocery shopping. There is a local chain called Buehler's I always loved, everything fresh and not too pricy. One of my relatives still shops there and called it therapy. However, since we moved, it's too far away. So we go to another local market, almos t as far away but much cheaper and also with fresh veggies, fruits, and a really nice meat counter. Also the small grocery in our tiny town has good deals on chicken and meat sometimes. For paper goods and cleaning supplies we go to CostCo.

Gotta watch every penny now that one of us is retired.

Takes a lot of the fun out of it, if there was any to begin with. I make a strict list and menu and take it along. Spouse grabs a cart and runs through the aisles. I select items from the list an d menu, and throw into the cart whatever I can if I can catch up with him, and that is that.

WG

I usually buy my groceries at H.E. Butt. If you are intimidated by a normal grocery store, imagine going to one that is the size of an entire Walmart dedicated to food that is also named after Butts.

i couldnt do it.

do they let you pick out your own cow etc?

I have am bivalent feelings about grocery shopping. There is a local chain called Buehler's I always loved, everything fresh and not too pricy. One of my relatives still shops there and called it therapy. However, since we moved, it's too far away. So we go to another local market, almos t as far away but much cheaper and also with fresh veggies, fruits, and a really nice meat counter. Also the small grocery in our tiny town has good deals on chicken and meat sometimes. For paper goods and cleaning supplies we go to CostCo.

Gotta watch every penny now that one of us is retired.

Takes a lot of the fun out of it, if there was any to begin with. I make a strict list and menu and take it along. Spouse grabs a cart and runs through the aisles. I select items from the list an d menu, and throw into the cart whatever I can if I can catch up with him, and that is that.

WG

Hee,Hee!

Sounds like you are describing a typical "Manna" night.

Do you make your own mayo and familia when you get back home? :wink2:

:wave:

Jammies at the local Bag and Gags are OUT, Chatty. But I do have a certain respect, even admiration, for those who can enter through those doors so cavalier. Ly. I recommend anyone doing serious shopping dress comfortably and for all weather possibilities. I once knew, sort of, a guy who keeled over in front of a freezer case in a Piggly Wiggly's. Or it may have been a Publix. This was in Florida, down by Miami. It was 90+ degrees outside, and the sudden change in temperature in the store was too much for him. No kidding, it really happened. So, don't tell me shopping isn't dangerous, Mr. Pubix!!!!

Yeah. Canned Peaches. I appreciate you asking but maybe another time, tonto & Abi. It might not have been so serious if I hadn't just come from the Hot Dog Buns section. Sliced Cheese may have been involved too. Picking out cheese is brutal.

This is healing though. It's good to get this out, and not keep it in. Plus, reading all of the cool stories and stuff here is great.

Pajamas while shopping.

Brutal.

For paper goods and cleaning supplies we go to CostCo.

Costco's. That's an interesting place. Sort of like "Rollerball" played with 5 gallon jars of Mayonnaise.

You are a complete hoot my friend. Your guy keeling over reminded me of a joke and that couple were asked not to shop there anymore. :biglaugh:

I chased the garage men down a few weeks ago while still in my jammies. They had missed picking up our trash before and did it again and by joe they were going to answer for it. I honestly felt sorry for this guy on the back of the truck by the time I was done with him. And he looked like he was related to the godfather. But the problem did get resolved and the next time that guy came up and apologized to hubby. I still don't know if it was because he had missed our trash or in sympathy because he was married to me. :unsure:

I usually buy my groceries at H.E. Butt. If you are intimidated by a normal grocery store, imagine going to one that is the size of an entire Walmart dedicated to food that is also named after Butts.

Yes I like HEB. This is where the chain started in 1909. I have met most of the Butt family.

So where do I shop? WalMart Its cheaper, its closer, it has a bigger parking lot.

I do the grocery shopping. I go 4 times a week. I dont plan the meals out so I go after work and get stuff for two days.

I hate people who bring 6 kids with them to shop. They scream, run around, throw tantrums, run the basket into yours.

The only other thing that gets to me are old couples. The man is pushing the basket behind the wife. She checks the section and discusses each purchase with him. 10 minutes for a can of beans. If you see them at the meat case turn around. It will be 15 minutes.

One day, a year or so ago, Sushi and I were shopping together. As with any typical shopping trip, he was off checking out sporting goods, electronics, clearance items, etc., while I went in search of provisions. As I was working my way down the meat isle I noticed a man cowering in the corner of the case where the meat is kept. I caught his eye for a moment and he looked utterly petrified. Quickly assessing the situation I realized that he wanted to move back out into the flow of shopping carts toward the produce and bakery section, but he just couldn't figure out how to do it.

Well, I have learned the southern technique of being rude with a smile - it is a very useful tool to have when you are only 5' tall. :) So I smiled shamefacedly as I rudely inserted my cart into traffic and blocked it so the man could get out. He gave me a sheepish grin of appreciation and went on his way.

Some time later I ran into him again at fresh baked goods section. The poor man looked like he was on the verge of tears as he was trying to figure out how to navigate his way back into traffic again. I said, "I know it's a bitch, eh?" and smiled. He replied, "People are just so rude!!" and I swear I saw a tear welling up in the corner of his eye. At which point, I once again gave my shamefaced and embarrassed smile to the group of shoppers as I proceeded to shove my cart into the flow of traffic and create an opening so he could once again get out.

Shortly after this Sushi found me. I told him what occured and suggested we should go find the poor man so my 6'5" Sushi could be his linebacker (is that the right term? I don't follow sports) while this poor fellow finished his shopping. Thankfully, when we next saw him, he was standing in line at the checkout counter with a look of sheer relief on his face.

I'm wondering now, was that you Socks? :biglaugh:

Not sure, Abi. Could have been. :biglaugh:

The idea of tearing up at the treachery that the average shopper is exposed to sounds familiar though. Danger Will Robbins! Danger! Cart ahead, cart approaching!!!

Carts. Whole 'nother deal. Traffic control and shopping seem to go hand in hand. It would be simpler if the aisle would actually accomodate two carts at once, side by side, so that one could pass the other. Maybe there should be horns and signals on them. Indicate your direction, or even your intent.

Aisles are just big enough in some stores to allow for one cart at a time. It's like meeting another car on some mountain road in the middle of a hairpin turn. Somebody has to back up for the other to get by.

There's no accounting for it, that I can see. Aisles should allow for easy access to the Stuff on the Shelves. Not to mention the time it will take for someone to figure out what's on the shelves. Etc. Etc.

There's a complete disregard for humanity. No dignity. A sign should read - "Leave Your Dignity In the Box - it will be returned upon your leaving, if you still want it."

A sign should read - "Leave Your Dignity In the Box - it will be returned upon your leaving, if you still want it."

Or----If there's anything left of it.

There was actually a place in Cleveland(back when dinosaurs roamed) that tried the wide aisle thing.

People loved it.

Who knew that commercial space leased out by the square foot?

Eventually they had to pass the additional lease costs onto the consumer in the form of higher prices.

Kinda makes a guy want to throw his hands up in surrender and go pick his own *poke salad* out in the swamps somewhere.

CHOMP!