GreaseSpot Cafe

False Prophet or Good Minister with problems?

now I see

Well, John, here is where you've gotten it wrong. I accept your freedom to criticize VP's plagerism, etc., etc., etc. I don't "buy" it all. I do, however, think that you fail to give him any credit for anything and therefore can't help thinking that you're not entirely objective or honest. Just my opinion, mind you. I imagine you think VP was from the Devil... and therefore if he did anything worth praise, in a sense you might feel you're praising the Devil.

Paul gives qualifications for overseers/ deacons/ church leaders, and knows that many will not meet them and will not be fit to be church leaders. But he doesn't say that you must give credit to the ones who fail to meet the qualifications. It's real simple. If they don't qualify, don't credit them as being fit for leadership, and don't look up to them as leaders and teachers. I never said he was from the devil, but VPW certainly was unfit.

In the same way, Jesus (and several parts of the Bible) note that there are false prophets. Jesus says to them, "depart from me I never knew you." He doesn't say, "let me give credit to you for the good you've done." Men qualify to be looked up to and respected as overseers/ teachers/ prophets/ etc- or they don't. One or the other, ("pregnant or not"). It's plain VPW didn't qualify as early as 1957, and never did thereafter. Literally thousands of people would have avoided a great deal of emptional pain and spiritual trouble if they'd have recognized 50 years ago that he didn't/doesn't qualify and if they'd have looked to qualified teachers instead. He still doesn't qualify, and as a result, his books don't belong on the shelf.

Thanks, John, for your response. When I have more time to refresh my mind of what the scriptures say and of what you say on your website I'll get back to you. In the meanwhile could you address a few questions for me? You say on your website:

"I do believe God has given me a ministry to help people who have been harmed by TWI."

What scriptural support can you offer that suggests that God gives such a ministry to individuals? And how did God communicate to you that He was giving you such a ministry? And at what time did you believe you had such a ministry -- before or after you took the PFAL class?

* It would be nice if those of you who feel compelled to defend John to just this once -- let him speak for himself. Even though I know I can't stop you from doing so I'll tell you now -- it will be wasted on me 'cause I won't bother responding to it.

If we let whether or not you're willing to listen limit our posting, it would get pretty quiet on threads you post on around here.

And the problem with that is what? :)

WW -- re-read what I said. I specifically stated I couldn't stop you from defending John if that's what you want to do. But if you're going to respond to the questions I asked John don't expect me to address your response. My questions weren't directed towards you.

I read you fine.

You said if anyone besides Juedes responded, there's little point because you won't read it.

"let him speak for himself. Even though I know I can't stop you from doing so I'll tell you now -- it will be wasted on me 'cause I won't bother responding to it."

My response of

"If we let whether or not you're willing to listen limit our posting, it would get pretty quiet on threads you post on around here."

reflected an understanding of what you wrote,

thus, no re-reading is necessary.

Neither was rephrasing necessary, I understood you the first time.

I read you fine.

You said if anyone besides Juedes responded, there's little point because you won't read it.

"let him speak for himself. Even though I know I can't stop you from doing so I'll tell you now -- it will be wasted on me 'cause I won't bother responding to it."

My response of

"If we let whether or not you're willing to listen limit our posting, it would get pretty quiet on threads you post on around here."

reflected an understanding of what you wrote,

thus, no re-reading is necessary.

Neither was rephrasing necessary, I understood you the first time.

I'm sure you think so but, obviously you couldn't have because you've changed what I actually said into what you THOUGHT I said.

Shall we continue this little game?

If you want.

So far, we're at 1 promise not to respond if we post about Juedes,

and 2 posts responding to not responding if we post about Juedes.

Sheesh! And you have the audacity to call your self WordWolf! One thing is certain -- you have the ability to obscure what someone actually says with your wordiness.

Dude -- a simple acknowledgment that you did indeed mis-read what I said would suffice. I know it might be difficult to admit but trust me on this -- you'll get over it. :)

* It would be nice if those of you who feel compelled to defend John to just this once -- let him speak for himself. Even though I know I can't stop you from doing so I'll tell you now -- it will be wasted on me 'cause I won't bother responding to it.

Well, it IS rather humorous that you can't keep your word. :wink2:

I am laughing my arse off over here. You're just mad that WordWolf called you on it and continuing to make it even more hilarious the more you post.

Edited by Belle

Well, it IS rather humorous that you can't keep your word. :wink2:

I am laughing my arse off over here. You're just mad that WordWolf called you on it and continuing to make it even more hilarious the more you continue.

That's nice. I've always felt that if you can't educate someone you might as well entertain them. Obviously you fall into the second group.

Are you a student of WordWolf? You have my sympathy.

Larry, skip over this post!

The term "ministry" was, in The Way, used of five church offices only. We all know what they are. The rest of the Christian world, properly, does not limit it to that. Neither do the scriptures.

I think an authentic "ministry" can come to a person's heart in a flash, or it can grow in ones heart. It is evident that DrW's snow pumps story describes something that occured in DrW's heart as a calling and an ordination. I believe he lived the rest of his life in answer to that perceived call, not that he did it perfectly (hence, the tombstone -- that saying is an irony and I respect him for having the courage to insist his feeling of regret went on there, and a testament to his humility, knowing his own pride, perhaps).

A calling or empowerment of God can take many forms. You have "a ministry," you know. Everyone does who is a child of God. JohnJ has expressed his belief of what God has called him to do (he may have other callings, as well) on his website. Proof of ministry is in the fruit, as Paul wrote the Corinthians that he might not be an apostle to others, but he was to them. They were, in fact, the proof of his apostleship. It follows, in my mind, that JohnJ perceives that his work has helped people who were (in his view) harmed by TWI. Maybe some people have actually said to him (something like), "Your work has helped me a great deal. I was badly hurt by some of the things that happened to me in the Way Ministry, and your writings helped me recover myself from the snare of the devil."

I happen to think TBone and Socks have ministries. They might not be to others, but they are to me. Others around here, I think, have ministries to those who have been sexually abused, and the people they have loved and helped are the proof of their ministry. I'm quite sure Wrds has a ministry, but again, that's just me.

Edited by anotherDan

A few years ago I didn't expect to hear what I heard from some posters. Words of wisdom and the heart of the spirit coming out of their mouths. Still happens today.

Though they never knew it, their words were moving right along with what I was being shown.

We all lead and follow, we are not to be exercising lordship over another.

Nor stifling freedom to express one's heart.

Picking apart posts is a waste of energy, when what they actually are trying to communicate may not be in the right words for another to understand.

And some do understand what is being said.

A calling or empowerment of God can take many forms. You have "a ministry," you know. Everyone does who is a child of God. JohnJ has expressed his belief of what God has called him to do (he may have other callings, as well) on his website. Proof of ministry is in the fruit, as Paul wrote the Corinthians that he might not be an apostle to others, but he was to them. They were, in fact, the proof of his apostleship. It follows, in my mind, that JohnJ perceives that his work has helped people who were (in his view) harmed by TWI. Maybe some people have actually said to him (something like), "Your work has helped me a great deal. I was badly hurt by some of the things that happened to me in the Way Ministry, and your writings helped me recover myself from the snare of the devil."

Well, I for one was helped by JohnJ's website. His was one of the first I found on TWI when I began to search for understanding regarding what was going on in my life at that time. His was where I first began to get a glimmering of an understanding that I wasn't the only one experiencing what I was experiencing.

I am not a JohnJ defender or follower. I haven't been to his website in many years now, for reasons that may be obvious to those who know me a bit - lol. But, I will always be thankful for what his work did to help me personally and I have no doubt he has helped others as well.

This is exactly the way I feel about VPW but some say he wasn't qualified to help me.

HE DID IT, HE GOT THE JOB DONE. Qualified or no.

I hear you Oldies. I can't say VPW helped me directly, but my early days with TWI did. I can look back and say I paid a high price for that help. I can also look back and see I may have paid a higher price without that help. In the end I will never know because it was a road not taken.

So, I get your perspective on this and I am glad to see you are not above recognizing that VPW may have had some error and done some wrong, while at the same time you cannot forget how he helped you.

I have no beef with you Oldies. :)

Peace

The term "ministry" was, in The Way, used of five church offices only. We all know what they are. The rest of the Christian world, properly, does not limit it to that. Neither do the scriptures.

Dan......while twi highlighted the five gift ministries [Eph. 4:11] in teachings and publications and the newly-revamped corps logo in 1978/79 (?)......I was around wierwille on several occasions where he elaborated on ministries that were beyond that scope. And, within a few of these teachings / sharings.....wierwille spoke openly that a few 3rd corps clergy and 4th corps clergy fit into the categories of helps & organization.

The Scripture reference of these other ministries:

I Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that, miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues....

After wierwille's death, I cannot recall martindale ever addressing this issue.

Discussing twi and its evolvement is very much like trying to focus on a moving target.

:)

It talks about the "Able Minister's" in the Epistles...so, how are they sorted by gifts? if God says we are all able minister's. Why just the few type's listed above?

I think there are alot of folks who would have awesome minister's..but Craig casted a huge stumbling block...that is a awful way to hurt the Body of Christ.