GreaseSpot Cafe

Speaking in tongues

Maybe it's just a legend, but what I know about Luther is that he put the Bible into a language that the people could understand instead of relying on the religious leaders to tell them what it said. (The ultimate in interpretation of tongues?)

Then he realized that the common folk were mostly illiterate, so he took another step and set out to teach them how to read - with a goal of getting them to read the Bible. I like him because he opened up possibilities for people to THINK on their own. He could have used the FOXnews slogan: "We report, you decide".

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncirovhlQcw"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncirovhlQcw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncirovhlQcw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Excie, ROTFL! That is hilarious!

do you think i should move this ? i don't want to hurt anyone's feelings

:biglaugh::biglaugh: I'm dying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh: Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Excathedra!!!!!!!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I could tell that woman had a sincere desire to translate. What believing! What boldness! What the he11 was she saying?!?!...Ya know...I think she was in a practice session at one of our twigs...anyway, she did better than me... :evilshades:

[edited to have universal language appeal]

Edited by T-Bone

I wasn't led into it either.

I wasn't even with anyone when I did it.

In fact, I had only just heard about TWI and the PFAL class days before I spoke in tongues,

Someone had said it was a way to express thankfulness to God and that was a big priority to me at that moment.

Then, the next day or two I gave tongues with interpretation in a believers meeting( because the leader said, "Will someone----?") and drew some wild looks from the people present.

It was a real *Kodak Moment*.

so what about those rhetorical questions at the end of 1Corinthians 12.... are all apostles? ... do all speak with tongues? ... do all interpret?

The Greek in fact gives greater force to this figure. For this reason, the translators of the New American Standard Bible translate it like so:

All are not apostles, are they?... All do not speak with tongues, do they?

In the preface to the NASB, they explain this part of their translation paradigm under "Greek Tenses":

5. In the rendering of negative questions introduced by the particle me [anotherDan: long e] (which always expect the answer, "No.") the wording has been altered from a mere, "Will he not do this?" to a more accurate, "He will not do this, will he?"

The line of Paul's reasoning is that we are different from one another, but have the "same spirit." The Corinthian church was "puffed up" about a lot of things which are handled throughout the epistle, even in "spiritual matters." In chapter four, Paul touches on this, and it is expanded in reference to spiritual matters in chapters 12, 13, and 14

1Co 4:6,7

And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and [to]Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think [of men] above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another. or who maketh thee to differ [from another]? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive [it], why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received [it]?

Why would a Christian want to boast about something that is given to him? The point is that God is who causes us to differ. This is made very plain (except to followers of TWI, who were taught otherwise) when Paul writes in chapter 12

1Co 12:4ff, KJV, formatting mine:

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom;

to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit;

to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

To another the working of miracles;

to another prophecy;

to another discerning of spirits;

to another [divers]kinds of tongues;

to another the interpretation of tongues:

But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ.

The spirit does not "divide to each one his own" as he (the man) wills, but as the spirit wills. Virtually the whole Christian world is agreement on this. They may be divided about whether "tongues have ceased," but only a few mavericks misread Paul to say that as a man wills to "operate the manifestations," the spirit will "divide" it to him.

Certainly, a man must be willing. But this is never a part of what Paul is attempting to address. The point is that the various people were not giving glory to God for these various gifts, administrations, operations, and manifestations of the spirit, of which there are more than nine, as I pointed out in an earlier post from Romans 12.

What say ye?

Edited by anotherDan

From RHST:

“The answer is: No, they do not all do all of these things in the Church. But, there is no implication or inference that these things could not be happening in the lives of all the individual Christian believers.”

This is all vp says, and it is not at all logical. First off, these are a series of rhetorical questions. The answer has to be either yes to all, or no to all. The statement implies I might be a prophet or an apostle in my individual life. That makes no sense. I am a part of the body of Christ all the time. Is he trying to say I can be an apostle at home but not at a meeting??? The REAL implication of the verses, is no, not everyone does them all at anytime.

1Cr 12:29 [Are] all apostles? [are] all prophets? [are] all teachers? [are] all workers of miracles?

1Cr 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

1Cr 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts (charisma): and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Verse 31 is a summary verse and concludes all the items in the rhetorical questions as gifts (charisma).

I am pointing this out because vp tries to make a distinction between charisma and manifestations, stating all nine are available to all and gifts (charisma) vary. I am not done studying this yet.

To me, part of the real emphasis of 1 Cor. 12 and Romans 12 is not so much what the charisma are, but the fact God does the energizing as He sees fit.

Dan, you mentioned ego, but I think an important piece of the puzzle is the mention of idolatry in the beginning of I Cor. 12. That seems like an odd contrast to charisma. I am working on that also.

Thanks, another spot, I appreciate that.

To me, part of the real emphasis of 1 Cor. 12 and Romans 12 is not so much what the charisma are, but the fact God does the energizing as He sees fit.

Exactly, and the line of Paul's thought is brought to a grinding halt if we insert "as he [insert 'the man'] wills." Without that substitution of "the man" for the obvious "the spirit," we can now say (after also mangling "for to one..." sheesh!) that "all nine manifestations of the spirit are available to all believers."

Keep studying, bro. 1 Corinthians 12 is clear as a bell to me, now. Still having a bit of trouble with chapter 14, though!

• 1 month later...

Well I love to "dialegatol" with you all on this topic. Please bear with me i have problems seeing the text i type. I am visually impaired, so i may misspell a word of two. Please understand. I really am not sure about the Ver. you all are using. I Probably should read through this thread. I have read some It just takes me a while to read them.

If I have another View point than you all do hope you will REASON out of the Script. like in acts 17, as Paul 'dialegatol" with the Jews.

Not sure if you all are 4 it, or opposed to it. I did see someone did say they use "utterances" heavenly language"Tongues" as some believe to be a communication directly to God, as the Cor. did to there gods before accepting Christ as there God.

Let us remember we are talking about Tongues here in this context.

I would like to share on what I have learned on this topic, in the finest details, that i can. I do not claim to be a Scholar, I am learning as we all are.

Edited by TRIUNE_GOD

Haven't had time to read through all of this, but I will get to it soon. So many threads, so little time!

But in answer to the question, yes, I speak in tongues often throughout each day. I think it's one reason I recognize the still, small voice of God more easily. And I love that in my prayer life and hear Him often, too.

Excie,

I clicked on your link and it said something like - Sorry, this YouTube is no longer available. Sorry I missed it. From the reactions, sounds like it would have been a hoot!

Suda

Edited by Suda

God first

Beloved all

God loves us all my dear friends

praying perfect in tongues is like

A young child of five asked his or her aunt to go see Santa Clas.*

His or her time in line comes

Santa ask the child what he or she wants for Christmas

The child looks up at Santa with eyes of tears and begings to tell Santa about his or her little sister or brother being sick in the hos and only his aunt could take him because his or her mom and dad are crying by his or her sister or brother bedside

than with his or her sad voice the child saids all I want is my little brother or sister to get well and come home again

this would be praying with heart with would be perfect pray

it would not matter that the child asked Santa but what matter is that the child asked with heart

now I know this is not the perfect pray the way you were taught about but it would of been perfect

I do not know if this as ever happen other than TV or if it ever happen on TV but it comes to mind

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

"Triune God" (I have to put that in quotes, since I don't feel comfortable calling anyone that -- not even anyOne!)

Thanks for dropping in. I'd be delighted to hear what you think about the subject.

Dan

Edited by anotherDan

God first

Beloved all

God loves us all my dear friends

praying perfect in tongues is like

A young child of five asked his or her aunt to go see Santa Clas.*

His or her time in line comes

Santa ask the child what he or she wants for Christmas

The child looks up at Santa with eyes of tears and begings to tell Santa about his or her little sister or brother being sick in the hos and only his aunt could take him because his or her mom and dad are crying by his or her sister or brother bedside

than with his or her sad voice the child saids all I want is my little brother or sister to get well and come home again

this would be praying with heart with would be perfect pray

it would not matter that the child asked Santa but what matter is that the child asked with heart

now I know this is not the perfect pray the way you were taught about but it would of been perfect

I do not know if this as ever happen other than TV or if it ever happen on TV but it comes to mind

thank you

Hi, Roy

That's certainly an interesting take on "perfect" prayer, that it's the essence that is to be perfect, not the technique. Even if it proved to be non-scriptural, it would still be profoundly wise advise.

Holy hugs, Bro.

Welcome, TG

Have you perused some of the articles and such?

God first

Beloved waysider

God loves us all my dear friend

I am glad you like it and thanks for the hugs

you asked me "Have you perused some of the articles and such?"

do you mean have keep up with this tread if so yes some what

or if you mean did I come up with a ending if so sure God heals the child

I think I understand now what your asking

Are you asking if it was like

Acts 10:34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

if so yes I perceived it

if you mean did I use it before not that I know of

thank you

Edited by year2027

Hello, Roy

No, nothing quite that deep in my question.

I was just asking TG if he/she has had a chance to peek into some of the other rooms here besides the forums.

I really like that concept of "perfect" prayer being prayer that is selfless in motivation.

:wave: