GreaseSpot Cafe

30 years ago today Elvis Died

Dot Matrix

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1977 ROA was definitely in Sidney. That was the last ROA that wasn't at HQ. This idiot named Jed Smock was yelling stuff at us all week. He'd been at PFAL '77 too (heard some WC poured a bucket of s### on him there). I remember hearing that Elvis had died, but it just wasn't a big deal. In TWI all priorities were different.

Hi topoftheworld,

I couldn't help but notice you still have $1.85 on that 1980 ROA meal ticket. The way I see it, twi owes you a wow burger and a drink (1980's prices?). :biglaugh:

Ha, Tonto-the way things are going lately I might just have to cash it in! 'Cept I doubt they would let me in the door-they'd want to know why I didn't burn all the stuff as old wineskin. :lol:

I was living and working in Eau Claire, Wisconsin when I heard the news. Was not much of an Elvis fan then, but have come to appreciate his music more since moving to Memphis. Especially love his Gospel music. Remember seeing him as a child and thinking he looked like a "greaser" with that slicked back hair. And never appreciated his flamboyant costumes. But now love lots of his music and have several CD's I enjoy listening to. And when you look at him in his early days, he was a nice looking fellow. Was sad he had died, as I am when I hear of anyone's passing, but was not earth shattering to me.

I flew to Ohio and joined my then-boyfriend at the ROA for the weekend. My first ROA and pre-PFAL. Could not understand all the protesters about "Jesus Christ is Not God". Raised in the Presbyterian Church, I thought I believed in the Trinity - The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost - but had never seen them as one in the same, but more like a Board of Directors running the show up there in the heavenlies. Always thought they were distinct.

My main memory from that ROA was sitting in the Big Top surrounded by multitudes of young people, all who loved God to the utmost, and everyone singing "Family of God". It brought tears to my eyes. I had always wondered how you knew if you were in God's Family. From all I had been taught, you did your best to live a Christian life, and you'd find out on Judgement Day. That always seemed so crazy to me. And what a cruel joke it you did your best and ended up burning in hell anyway. That's why speaking in tongues really hit my heart in PFAL - the token of our inheritance - I was overjoyed to know I was born-again and heaven bound. That was something I had longed to know since a wee child. And, yep, I still SIT bunches. And believe it is very real.

Suda

I really enjoy and have most all of His music; they are all timeless standards. He sang with his whole heart. Its is too bad His life was such an emotional roller coaster! He was such a loving and giving man; that is after all why His legacy lives on and on!

Does anyone remember hearing the live recording of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" during which Elvis starts to snicker, then giggle, then absolutely, totally loses himself in hilarious laughter?

It was recorded in a night club, and as Elvis began to sing, a chubby fellow sitting in front began to sweat profusely, as was doubtless Elvis himself. However, the guy in the audience was wearing a toupee, which he proceeded to yank off his head. He took out a hankie, wiped off his bald pate, and plunked the toupee back on his skull. This amused Elvis so much that he could hardly finish the song.

Or at least that's the scenario some disk jockey related after playing it. I have no idea if that is what happened, but whatever it was sure tickled the King's funnybone!

I think if Gladys had lived, Elvis would have had more of a chance at normalcy in his life.

He actually had displayed a talent for acting in a motion picture made early on in which he did not sing, and there was enthusiasm on the part of producers for his continuing in that line of work, however, Colonel Parker would have none of Elvis becoming a serious actor and insisted on only the fluff he filmed with pretty girls and lots of music.

Colonel Parker knew how to milk a cash cow dry.

WG