GreaseSpot Cafe

Dont feel to bad VP has company

sky4it

I know a lot of you guys think VP was the most wack ever and yeah he was wack, and I only had about 5 months or less experience with the group The WAY. So since i was never a member, maybe to you my opinion doesnt count that much.

But consider this, John Calvin and Calvinism is right up there with VPW for some of the most wack ever.

I started a thread under doctrinal about Calvinism, because I would like to read your comments there.

VPW and John Calvin would have made great treachous brethern.

(((smiles))) ... the verbal rocks are sure a-gonna fly, particularly from one long term poster I could name, ... but won't. He'll be along shortly.

This place is definitely NOT boring. :spy:

:biglaugh: Garth...You're such a tease...;) :evildenk:

I know a lot of you guys think VP was the most wack ever and yeah he was wack, and I only had about 5 months or less experience with the group The WAY. So since i was never a member, maybe to you my opinion doesnt count that much.

But consider this, John Calvin and Calvinism is right up there with VPW for some of the most wack ever.

I started a thread under doctrinal about Calvinism, because I would like to read your comments there.

VPW and John Calvin would have made great treachous brethern.

Sky4it, are you referring to doctrine, or sins?

If you will, please explain what doctrine (or sins) are similar.

On the sin level I often compare Wierwille with Solomon, but even that seems unfair to Wierwille, since Solomon did much worse evil.

It'd be interesting to know what if any similarities of Wierwille with Calvin.

oldieman:

I did some studing of John Calvin's life but not a lot. There are some oddiities but rather than recite you can easily find on a google search.

No the doctrines are not similiar at all. The approach however is very similiar, in that a few handpicked scriptures are used to cement concepts like predestination above everything else. Modern day Calvinists use a concept called TULIP to explain Calvin in a nutshell. I went into it a little further in a thread I started in the Doctrine section of this website.

oldiesman:

The results of both the way and Calvinists in approach to life I would argue are the same when approaching the topic of sin:

IE

1) the Way: Dont worry about it just "renew your mind"

2) In Calvinism the barrier for your dead deeds is even less, because you are totally depraved or totally inable.

I can understand the comparison to Capone. His life revolved about sex, drugs and building an organization, but with the soup kitchens, he got his self esteem pumped by giving doughnuts and soup to starving people, who didn't have any qualms about saying "thank you *mr* Capone.. you're a "saint".."

Major difference: Calvin was remembered far beyond the generation he influenced and influenced many generation beyond his life time…VPW did not and will not. In fact VPW had very little influence out side of the Way. Very few people even know who he is.

In addition, you will never see VPW mentioned in any history books on Christianity. The Jesus-Freak movement will have more notoriety then VPW. That would be the only place you might see his name mentioned and then only as a side note.