GreaseSpot Cafe

Torturing Animals. A Cultural Thing?

RottieGrrrl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in the Deep South...

Dog fighting is also in Down East Maine....

I don't think background, culture, etc. is still any excuse whatsoever.

What if it was a white, mid-western region NFL player who did this? Then what's the excuse?

I don't think anyone would be making one - he would be an instant villian.

Vick is a villian - a cold blooded killer, in my opinion. He KNEW what he was doing. End of story.

yeah, it is a little difficult to act like it is understandable because he grew up with it and didn't really know better ... but then to say but that is no excuse. It is making an excuse for him, but a poor excuse.

Whoopi says she would judge him much differently if he was from New York City.

I don't get the torturous killing of the dogs. Is that supposed to inspire the other dogs to perform better? It seems like a horrific release of sub-human sadism.

http://www.whoopi.com/

Scroll halfway down - she has a reply about it...

We have this site bookmarked as Whoopi is a fellow dyslexic...

I still need to hear it too, but checked it today and found this

------

OkAY just listened...I think she was just approaching it very academically...

Edited by washingtonweather

Don't get me wrong. I don't think for a nanosecond that anyone's cultural background, whether it's in the deep South or on the streets of the Bronx or wherever, excuses this criminal, barbaric behavior one bit. And if Whoopi's point was to make an excuse for Vick, she's wrong. I just didn't read it that way. To me it was similar to saying something like, "In this or that macho culture, men grow up thinking it's okay to beat their wives." That doesn't excuse wife beating at all; it just describes the cesspool it bubbles out from.

I think Whoopi's mistake was tying the dogfighting "culture" with the deep South, as if the deep South itself is the culture that harbors such activity. That's just silly. There's plenty of dogfighting in big cities up north--and east and west.

The culture that promotes and profits from and enjoys dogfighting is the culture of criminal activity, greed, desperation, sadism, and the devaluing of life--whether human or animal--that festers in the poverty-stricken neighborhoods of cities, towns, and rural areas. Many, many people rise up and out of poverty and the cultural consequences of poverty. Those people would never, never, not in a million years lift a finger against a helpless animal.

But unfortunately, some don't. Some get their sense of self-worth from being the toughest rat in the sewer instead of climbing up and out and trying to get the sewer out of where they live.

Vick will probably be back to play in the NFL eventually...and when he does, I hope he plays against the Browns, I think the nickname for their defense is called the "dog pound"...

If I were a middle linebacker, I would call him "dog killer" as I drove his head into the turf...

Hahahahaha Groucho. I never thought of that, and I'm a Browns fan.

Actually, the "dog pound" is what they call the section of cheap (ha! are any of them cheap nowadays?) seats behind the goal posts, where the really rabid fans sit in bleacher seats and bark at the oncoming oppoenents, wearing doggie ears and doggie face paint, and brandishing dog bones and biscuits. I've never sat there, but I just might if Vick comes to our home turf. Thanks for the idea. :)