GreaseSpot Cafe

Taco Dish

Outfield

I am making this tonight and have heard that it is very yummy. I will let ya'll know.

Taco Dish

2 - 8oz. cans of cresent rolls divided

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef

1/2 small onion minced

2 cups shredded chedder cheese

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup chilli sauce (find it near the ketcup)

2 T. Taco seasoning

1 T . Worchestire sauce

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

Unroll can of rolls in greased pan -- make bottom (like a pie crust) bake at 375 for 10min. (until browned)

Make ground beef / onion & stir in all ingredents once browned (including cheese)

pour over bottom crust -- take 2nd can of rolls and cut into strips (like a pie topping) and place on top (so they are thin and overlapping (like tic tac toe)

Bake at 375 for 25 min. until golden. Let stand 10 min.

Serve with salsa, sour cream....etc....

So I made the Taco Dish.

It was alright. Next time I'm going to make the meat mixture the same but add crushed cornchips (as per hubby's suggestion) instead of using cresents. I think that will be yummo. There was a little too much bread for us.

I served it with salsa, sour cream and shredded lettuce.

My next meal will be chicken, sun dried tomato and goat cheese....mmmm. Still looking for a good recipe for that.

Edited by Outfield

These are also Most Excellent! The name is NOT false advertising! :biglaugh: (Bow can vouch for me as she and The Princess have enjoyed them as well.)

World's Greatest Chicken Nachos

A spicy picadillo mixture, using chicken instead of the traditional beef, gives these nachos a special zip. Serve with chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce, sliced radish, and low-fat sour cream.

Ingredients

Chicken picadillo:

1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil

8 ounces ground chicken or turkey

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped

1 teaspoon all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon chili powder

3 tablespoons raisins

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

2 teaspoons sugar

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained

1 (16-ounce) can pink beans (such as Goya) or other small beans, drained

Nachos:

40 baked tortilla chips

1/2 cup bottled salsa

1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450°.

To prepare chicken picadillo, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground chicken, cumin, oregano, salt, and jalapeños; cook until chicken is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in flour and chili powder; cook 1 minute. Add raisins, vinegar, sugar, and tomatoes; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add beans; cook until thoroughly heated.

To prepare nachos, arrange chips on a large baking sheet. Spoon chicken picadillo and salsa evenly over chips; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Yield

8 servings (serving size: 5 nachos)

Nutritional Information

CALORIES 208(26% from fat); FAT 6g (sat 2.5g,mono 1.9g,poly 1.3g); PROTEIN 11.6g; CHOLESTEROL 31mg; CALCIUM 123mg; SODIUM 545mg; FIBER 3.6g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28g

Jim Fobel , Cooking Light, JULY 1999

Belle's Note: I don't use ground chicken or turkey - I've always just used chopped chicken breast from the bags of frozen tenderloins that are a mainstay in my house. I also don't use sour cream or cheese and, believe me, I look for an excuse to smother everything in sour cream and/or cheese. :P It's just so darn good without it. I also don't use the nachos. I just serve it over a bed of lettuce. It's even better the second day!

Edited by Belle