GreaseSpot Cafe

Peter J Wade

Dot Matrix

Where did the J go?

And it is so nice to see him still teaching.

Anyone recall why he left us, or pulled away? What happened?

He cut his associations VERY early in twi history.

He hasn't shared with us his reasons for doing so.

Since he's obviously acting as a Christian, and doesn't appear to be in it for the money,

one can SPECULATE that vpw attempted to hijack his ministry just as he hijacked some of the hippies,

and W*de just refused to become part of the twi/pfal sales machine early on.

In doing this, he skipped having little surprises like when vpw pushed D00p and H33fn3r aside

and took over what they were doing, once they brought in the people in the West and East Coasts.

Since he has not stated anything outright-or, for that matter, confirmed anything stated that I recall

along those lines, those represent our best guesses. On the other hand, he never volunteered that they

separated on GOOD terms, or even NEUTRAL terms, either.

My memory on this is foggy at best, so take it for what it's worth.

When I was first getting involved with TWI in Manhattan, (early 1978) I overheard my BC telling people to avoid P3ter W*de. He was said to have written a research paper that contradicted VP's teaching. (I forget the subject.) I remember either hearing the words "possessed" or "born of the wrong seed" but I don't recall if they referred to him or to his paper.

Edited by doojable

When I was first getting involved with TWI in Manhattan, (early 1978) I overheard my BC telling people to avoid P3ter W*de. He was said to have written a research paper that contradicted VP's teaching. (I forget the subject.) I remember either hearing the words "possessed" or "born of the wrong seed" but I don't recall if they referred to him or to his paper.

We're talking twi here.

A Christian leader cuts associations with twi.

The story going around twi is that he's "possessed" and/or "born of the wrong seed."

Do I know that was used to apply to this Christian leader?

No, but since it was STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, frankly, I'd be more surprised if they

DIDN'T say that about him.

It's been applied to MANY OF US since WE left,

although for most of us it was softened to "sold out to the world",

but some of us DID get that one.

I'm surprised he posts here, but am glad of it. My impression was that he was not a "yes man," and Dr. Wierwille did not take kindly to dissenters, even a little... even reasonable or spiritually honest ones. The "accuracy of the Word" was what he had found, and he was going to take it around (actually, "over") the world. I think he viewed Rev. Wade as a traitor to that vision, and (again, my impression) perhaps interested in his "own" ministry. DrW's attitude regarding leaders who left the Way was often, in my view, one of sadness. He often, I think, IMO, etc, did NOT bad-mouth them. I'm sure there are others who would say otherwise. LCM was another matter, especially in later years.

I remember Milford and Betty Bowen, who were highly regarded, and still are for their quiet faithfulness, were a source for Rev. Wade's materials in the USA for quite some time. They lived quite close to HQ.

It would appear that Rev. Wade has chosen to remain anonymous here, so it would appear at least to date, that "coming out" and explaining the circumstances of his leaving TWI (or The Way, Inc.) might be wishful thinking for some. He appears to have a courteous, "positive" approach to ministry. But you've got me thinking, Paw! Let's see, I know he's not Socks....

Edited by anotherDan

With all due respects, AnotherDan, without Rev W's imput we can't say anything for certain.

His silence could just be a result of him being busy.

It could be because to speak up would hurt an innocent person.

It could just be that for him to post his reasons for leaving would stir things up in him that he'd rather leave buried.

I'd respect his wishes and leave it at that. I see no reason to speculate. IMHO

FYI - In Karl Kahler's book, The Cult That Snapped, A Journey Into The Way International, on page 56 (the first of many references concerning Rev. Wade) there is an account of his getting involved in 1965 and a record of Karl's phone interview with him.

Another Dan he uses his actual name when he posts so he is not anonymous

I saw it before and thought someone used it as a handle to signify they disagreed with TWI. I did not know it was really him or would have delighted in asking a few questions

Well, then Peter Wade is a hero of mine, I was also possessed when I disagreed and confronted leadership.

Peter, if you are out there, I would like to hear of your journey.

edit for typo

Edited by Dot Matrix

Do your search at the top and put in Peter Wade

He has 6 posts

Here is one

Posted on: Jan 15 2007, 10:16 PM

Group: Members

Member No.: 496

QUOTE(act2 @ Jan 12 2007, 10:42 AM)

She now corresponds with Peter Wade and his group. She is not the church-going type.

Just to keep the record straight, I do not have a "group"... I'm simply a teacher of God's Word. Of necessity, we have three trustees of our non-profit organization, but there is nothing you can join! Just like The Way Inc. in 1965 when I first visited there.

My audio teachings and articles are at peterwade.com. I'm still going strong and praising God!

Blessings,

That is the site I stumbled upon...

Another post:

Under the J E Stiles Thread

QUOTE(shortfuse @ Nov 6 2006, 01:36 PM)

Maybe someone else will remember, but I think the spin was that Dr. Wierwille had discovered all this stuff through his own research, and then found validation in the works of Bullinger who had seen the same things in the Word a generation or two earlier.

That was the line I first heard in 1965.

Peter

Another from VPW's source of Believing

QUOTE( TheEvan @ Sep 20 2005, 04:49 PM)

My original "Studies in Abundant Living Vol 1" (there was only 1 volume in those days HAHA) opened with the first chapter as "The Magic of Beliving".<BR><BR>I don't think anybody who took Piffle after 70 or 71 would have that old book. anybody ever see it?

Yep, all us oldies saw it and have it, as well as the original collateral booklet!

Peter Wade,

Director, PFAL film, etc. etc.

When the radio starts up again, can we do him?

Aha. Thanks, Dot

Dooj, I don't see how we disagree. From my POV, the things you said are how I feel, too

edit: Why didn't you pick on WordWolf?

Edited by anotherDan

I remember reading somewhere, that Mr. Wade shared that after working with VP for awhile, and ABS was coming in, one day VP acquired a new Harley. Once it was realized it came out of the ABS money, Mr. Wade left. He did not agree VP should be buying new toys out of ABS.

That is what I read, I do not know if its correct, I think it was on Waydale years ago.

Details about the end of Peter's relationship with the ministry can be found on pg. 104 and 105 of Karl's book. The account is too long and involved to quote here, but essentially Peter was accused of operating outside the Way Tree structure, there were many written communications with Howard (who was made International Coordinator without Peter being told), Howard was nasty, Peter was very reasonable but in the end I think the core issue was HQ was not getting $ from Australia, etc. I very recently bought my copy of Karl's book so I know he's still offering it.

I remember that as well, being in NY in the late 70;s. Doojable, maybe I know you?

• 2 weeks later...

I met Peter Wade when I was 18 years old.

Wordwolf: He was not in TWI at the time. I think he told everyone that he like some of the stuff they had but really disagreed with where things were going.

Highway guy, he didnt say why a lot when people asked him. I think he was too nice of a person to really bash them. I do know that he said he would never go back. I met him at a lake retreat for Christians in the later 70's . Someone who knew him invited him to come speak and he did. He is Austrailian I believe.

He was when I met him a real nice guy. Good speaker too.

Edited by sky4it