GreaseSpot Cafe

Change it...

doojable

Okay. Hopefully this will be fun.

I like to try new recipes and then change them a bit. I figure a lot of you do too.

Take a recipe and try it, then post the changes you'd like to make or have made.

I'll start:

Here's WG's delicious chicken recipe:

Of course as with all WG recipes, seasonings can be adjusted to taste.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts.

juice of 2 limes

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or put through a garlic press

about 3 TBSP olive oil.

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 teaspoon ground cumin

2 green peppers

1 red sweet pepper (mango to you Buckeyes)

1 can diced chile peppers OR 1 fresh jalapeno

1 sweet onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla sweets, thinly sliced as separated into rings.

1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves

Salsa and chips.

Combine in a freezer bag or baking dish the lime juice, garlic and 3 TBSP olive oil. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator 1/2 hour.

In the meanwhile, Thinly slice the onions and sweet peppers. Heat the 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a heavy skillet and sautee the peppers and onions in it, adding the chile peppers or jalapeno and the cumin. Remove when tender crisp and keep warm.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and put it in the pan in which you cooked the veggies. Add a bit of the marinade if you like. Cook on medium heat until done. Put the veggies back in the pan to warm a bit with the cilantro added at the last minute. Serve with chips and salsa.

I loved it! The next time I make it I would like to try:

Cutting the chicken in strips, adding diced tomatoes to the veggies, and deglazing the pan with white wine. I'd also like to serve it all like fajitas with fresh tortillas.

I loved it! The next time I make it I would like to try:

Cutting the chicken in strips, adding diced tomatoes to the veggies, and deglazing the pan with white wine. I'd also like to serve it all like fajitas with fresh tortillas.

That does sound delish!

Do you make your own tortillas or buy them somewhere? I had a great recipe for them, but have lost it.

While I'm thinking of it, do you have a good recipe for indian bread for indian tacos?

That does sound delish!

Do you make your own tortillas or buy them somewhere? I had a great recipe for them, but have lost it.

While I'm thinking of it, do you have a good recipe for indian bread for indian tacos?

I'll be learning how to make fresh tortillas this weekend - I'll post the recipe ;)

I don't have a recipe for Indian Bread - but I bet I can find one.... :biglaugh:

*dooj does a quick search....ahh there it is...*

Indian Bread Recipes

Edited by doojable

I posted this in the Chicken section -- but to stay organized I'm posting here to tell you how it went:

Chicken Bryan -- Carrabba's Recipe (A well-known Italian Restaurant)

http://www.recipezaar.com/64356

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon minced yellow onions

2 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup dry white wine

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2/3 cup cold butter, sliced

1 1/2 cups chopped sun-dried tomatoes

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon white pepper

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

extra virgin olive oil, for brushing

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

8 ounces caprino goat cheese or other goat cheese, room temperature

Saute garlic and onion in 2 Tbls.

butter in a large skillet over medium heat until tender.

Stir wine and lemon juice into skillet, increase heat to medium high, and simmer to reduce by half.

Reduce heat to low and stir in cold butter, one slice at a time.

Stir in tomatoes, basil, kosher salt, and white pepper; remove from heat; set aside.

Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.

Grill chicken over hot coals 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.

A couple of minutes before chicken is done, place equal amounts of cheese on each breast Spoon prepared sun-dried tomato sauce over chicken.

This turned out really well. It was hard to keep everything going at the same time though and I had to make 3 rounds of extra sauce because it kept going away (wine / lemon juice) while I was dealing with the chicken. Next time I'm just going to cook the chicken in a skillet vs. our inside grill (which set off the smoke alarm because of all the olive oil). I think this would also be good with roasted red pepper and feta. The sun dried tomatos are really strong for me but hubby liked them as he said it balanced out the goat cheese. Let me know if ya'll try it.

If you want to soften the flavor of the sundried tomatoes, you can had some chopped fresh tomatoes (or canned diced tomatoes in a pinch.)

Start the chicken first, have all your ingredients pre-measured and cut and make your sauce while the chicken cooks.

Did you place the chicken on a bed of pasta? I can see this with bowtie pasta. It would make a pretty dish for company.

Thanks for the tip! No, I didn't serve it with pasta but that's a good idea. The sun-dried tomato sauce would be good alone with pasta (I imagine).

I served it with asparagus (trying to cut down the carbs).

And the goat cheese the restaurant uses is spreadable where as I used room temperature crumbled (which sort of spread) -- but it's what I had already.

I have to work on making sauces, rues, etc. Everytime I try I mess it up. I did alright this time -- it just cooked down so fast.

I also cut the chicken breast into halfs / quarter (smaller pieces -- not the whole breast) - (that's how they serve it at the restaurant).

Hubby liked it and said it tasted very close to the real thing.

I'm looking up pot roast recipes now for Sunday or Monday -- there are so many of them! We'll probably go out to eat today :)

You could cut up some aparagus into 1" pieces and add it to the sauce in the last ten minutes or so - keep it crisp/tender.

I'm gonna go look up that Italian Pot Roast recipe now...look on the "Slow Cooker" thread in a few. ;)

Edited by doojable

Pot RoastI posted this in the slow cooker thread. It turned out really good. I wanted to cook it a little longer but hubby was *dying* literally to eat. It was still nice and tender. What I would do different: I've read you can flour the meat before seasoning and searing which helps to thicken the sauce -- I may try that next time as I'm not very good with make roux. I would peal the garlic and then pierce it because the unpeeled garlic ended up peeling and then I had to fish out the covering (which resembled onions). I used potatos (because I know hubby) that was his first question - "Where are the potatos?" Overall it turned out well for me being not that experienced with this cooking method.

Edited by Outfield

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo Chicken Burritos This is in the Chicken thread also - just maintaining some order

A traditional Mexican dish gets kicked up North.

ingredients

8 medium-size flour tortillas

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)

2 tablespoons butter

2 pounds ground, all-white meat chicken breast

1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped

1 large onion, chopped

3 ribs celery, finely chopped

5 large cloves garlic, chopped

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 cup chicken stock (eyeball it)

1/4 to 1/2 cup hot sauce, depending on how hot you like it

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed

1/4 cup (about handful) cilantro leaves, chopped

3/4 pound grated Manchego cheese or crumbled blue cheese, divided

2 avocados, cut into bite-size pieces

2 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped

preparation

Preheat oven to 250°F.

Wrap the flour tortillas in a damp kitchen towel and place in the low oven until they warm through and become pliable.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon, and the butter. Once the butter has melted and the pot is hot, add the ground chicken. Cook until brown, about 5-6 minutes, using the back of a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces.

Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic and some salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3-4 minutes.

Add the chicken stock, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Add the hot sauce, black beans and the cilantro. Stir to combine and cook until the beans are heated through, a minute or two.

Remove the warm tortillas from the oven, place a few heaping spoonfuls of the buffalo chicken/black bean mixture on the bottom of a tortilla, but don’t overfill it.

Top with some cheese, avocado and tomato. Roll the short end of the tortilla over the filling, fold in the other two sides and then continue to roll it up until you have a tight burrito package. Once you have finish rolling all the burritos, turn the oven up to broil. Place burritos in a shallow backing dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese, place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese.

Yields 4 servings

I made this last night and it was yumm-o! Instead of ground chicken I used cut up pieces of chicken breast (cut bite size). I also didn't use a burrito I just put the mixture in a bowl and melted mexican cheese. I served it with white corn chips. While I was making it I didn't think I was doing it right - especially adding the chicken stock just seemed like so much juice -- but it had cooked down to about half -- I added the hot sauce and beans and it made for the perfect sauce. If I was using tortillas to make burritos I would have cooked the sauce down further because I think it would make the burrito soggy. However, with corn chips it was perfect! This would also be good over a fresh salad! It is really good -- hubby loved it!

Edited by Outfield

Potato Soup

Sautee sm chunks of Italian Sausage with Leek(chopped)

boil 3lbs of chunked potato in 3 large cans of chicken broth

when tender remove and slightly mash

add back to broth/if you need to thicken-use a little instant potato flakes

drain meat/add to broth.

add Italian spices

let simmer

s&p

turn off flame and let cool

add 1/2 cp of sour cream

when reheating, do not boil-it will curdle the sour cream

Alright, LikeanEagle posted this wonderful soup in the soup thead and I went to go and make it. But when I got to the store they were plumb out of Leeks so I bought a Parsnip instead (yes I know they are nothing alike). But then I found myself thinking that this is way too much for just three so I started changing a thing here and there to accomodate.

I used only one large can of chicken broth and to it I added:

one half link of crumbled Italian Sausage

2 tsp of rubbed dry parsley

4 potatoes peeled and cut fairly small

1/2 of the parsnip quartered and sliced thin

2 tsp garlic salt

1 tsp dill

I let the veggies cook but as it was cookiing with a slotted spoon I gently crusshed some of the potato into the broth. When the spuds were done I turned the heat off and stirred in one full cup (actually two healthy dollops) of sour cream. When it was disolved I added 1/2 pint of heavy cream and two teaspoons of butter. I then turned the heat back on very low and stirred frequently. When the butter had melted I turned off the heat and served it with grill cheese made with rye bread. YUM!

Edited by Eyesopen

• 3 weeks later...

This is an old tried and true favorite of "most" people -- I have come across a few who have not liked it -- but to each their own.

Ground beef (like a 1lb. or so)

Jiffy cornbread mix (one box)

Chilli sauce (found near the ketchup at the grocery store)

2 cans of Campbell's vegetable soup

Brown ground beef (stir in some onion if you want - salt, pepper, all that jive)

Stir in both cans of soup without draining

Stir in chilli sauce

Place in oblong casserole dish

Mix Jiffy cornbread according to directions BUT DOUBLE the milk (I use soy milk and it works fine).

Pour cornbread mixture over meat

Bake according to Jiffy box -- like 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Serve with sour cream and shredded chedder cheese

Made this Monday night with fresh veggies. It turns out a little different but it's still great. Cut potatos and carrots really small and boil until soft. Break green beans into small pieces and boil until soft (they take a little longer than the carrots and potatos so I seperated them). Defrost frozen peas and corn niblets while doing this. Don't cook them, just let them sit out awhile. Mix all (except corn) together with meat and chili sauce. Pour corn into Jiffy corn bread mixture. Bake and serve with chedder cheese, sour cream and I tried a little salsa with this (may be good mixed in next time).

Edited by Outfield