GreaseSpot Cafe

Sandwiches

Outfield

Goodness all of the gourmet chefs here - all the recipes sound good and the ones I have tried were excellent. Unfortunately however I have no such accomplished kitchen talents. So here is my recipe for a fine sandwich

Lay a slice of rye bread down - any hearty rye - Russian, Jewish, dill, etc but no new age rye or anything of the sort. If you are gluten sensitive I'm sorry - stop here.

Lay on it some spicy mustard - your brand of choice - but nothing that is the color yellow

Lay on it some spicy horse radish - not the cream style snot in most stores

Lay down a gob of roast beef or pastrami - sliced so it is shaved - falling apart

Lay down some slices of pepper jack cheese

Lay down some GOOD saurkraut

Lay down a gob of Black Forest ham - sliced as above

Lay down some slices of lacey Swiss cheese

Top with some good Cajun spices such as Tony Cachere's

Fix top slice of rye the same as the first...mustard and horseradish

NO OTHER NONSENSE LIKE MAYO OR 1K Island Dressing or you will prove that you are possessed

Slice sandwich in half in whatever direction your cult dictates.

Now some key points follow.

Get a couple of beers out of the fridge. Nothing cheesy like a lager. Must be an IPA or something akin to Stone Brewing Company's "Arrogant Bast$rd Ale"

Take the first bite with gusto. Sure...there will be mustard on your lips - so what - wipe it off on your shirt sleeve or the back of your arm...DO NOT use a daintily applied napkin or surely you will spend the rest of your days in hell. Dorothy Owens will spend eternity reminding you of manners and how eating is nasty at best and Groucho will be taunting you from behind. Oh and if your cult calls for the first bite out of the center or out of the corner is of no matter - just take a good first bite fer Christ's sake.

Take a hefty swallow of ale and reflect on how fortunate you are to not be in TWI anymore. Take out an old pack of retemories or perhaps a page from a TWI book and casually throw on the fire in the fireplace. Take another hefty slug of ale and another bite of the Dagwood. Smile to yourself as you watch remnants of TWI commit to flame.

High five your son who is eating an identical sandwich and make fun of 20 years of wasted time in a cult. Take another hefty slug of good ale. Keep eating... and drinking...

As you start the second half of the sandwich take a martini glass and pre-chill with ice cubes. As you near the finish of the sandwich toss out the ice cubes and pour a half cap of DRY (READ DRY) Vermouth into the glass. Swish around and toss the excess out. Same with either some olive or onion mud - again it doesn't matter which church you belong to - olive or onion - I attend both.

Fill shaker with ice, quality vodka such as Grey Goose or similar - shake and strain/pour into martini glass. Toothpick a couple of olives, onions or both and insert into martini glass.

As you finish the very last bite of the sandwich - toss down the drink in one large gulp. Sit back, belch and again reflect on how good it is NOT to go to twig tonight - and hey if it is Sunday or Monday then turn on a game, have another ale and high five your son again (sorry for all you genderists out there - my son likes games - my daughter does not - but she likes the sandwiches all the same...)

Edited by RumRunner