GreaseSpot Cafe

PIPELINE!

socks

That's gonna be 1963, Jim. Glad you're diggin' the crazy sounds. A wild aszed guess, it's a Wurlitzer, but could be an older Rhodes for all I know. That soft muted tone is a classic "surf's up!" sound. Although a lot of different sounds came to be incorporated under the Surf music umbrella, that cool, kinda jazzy bubbling cruising sound that was Pipeline was characteristic of the genre.

There's something clearly uniquely "California" about the song Pipeline. Frankly, I couldn't see "Wipeout" without going on a serious surf music jag and I wanted to post it.

That now-famous muted run down by the guitar is actually a fairly musical statement, capturing the feel of a wave curliing over very compactly. You can count the notes being hit, despite the fact the sound of it is random. It's a tad overdriven by the time the ending comes. Although the Chantays look like they've been subjected to too many experimental alien anal probes, they bring a childlike innocence to the performance that predates "ET". Can't beat that. This may be the best proof we have of an alien invasion. If in fact, the moves are as orchestrated as they appear to be, they may be signalling an early regiment of Amazing Sea Monkeys!, giving the "OK" sign and go ahead for landing. Just a guess but that would be my take.

Pass the Ray Bans and put the top down. :dance:

Edited by socks

I wonder what the musicians behind the boys were thinking...

I don't think it was a Rhodes. Don't know what the keyboard was. Jim, you're right about the synths... the Rhodes had an electric pickup similar to a guitar pickup and vibration fork for each key. I bought one at a church yard sale for $25 once, and then let someone steal it from me for $800!

Seems so long long ago, but I was "there."

Thanks for sharing, socks!

Edited by anotherDan

That was fun Socks. It's 0445 in the morning, and that was fun for such an early hour. I really got a kick out of the keyboard guy when he took his solo break. It was like he he knew exactly what he was doing but didn't quite believe he was doing something so "groovy". Kind of an innocence about him. Kind of like; "I know this is really groovy, but is it really me?"

haha!! So funny? Ironically, Belle, Eyes and myself were snuggling up to Jonny Lingo's cousine at the Wipeout restaurant on Pier 39 in San Francisco last night.

And what was on za menu might I ask? And did you have your Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista on the Wharf at the corner of Hyde & Front St.??

I wonder what the musicians behind the boys were thinking...

Did you notice who the musicians were? That was on the Laurence Welk show. You can say what you want about his music - but if you look at his reruns, he had quite a wide variety on his show, besides his lady singers were cute :rolleyes:

Time to compare:

"Wipeout" - The Ventures

Dooj, your clip on Wipe Out reminds me this morning of one of my favorite funk drummers...Mr. Steve Garibaldi.

His wife Peggy and another very attractive way corps girl, got me to twig and into pfal! 32+ years ago...Yikes!

Dooj, your clip on Wipe Out reminds me this morning of one of my favorite funk drummers...Mr. David Garibaldi. :eusa_clap:

His wife Peggy and another very attractive way corps girl, got me to twig and into pfal! 32+ years ago...Yikes!

It's still early...David...sorry! But it has been a long time!