GreaseSpot Cafe

What Athletes of the Spirit should have been

Mark Clarke

HI Mark! Yes, I have watched that skit much! WE love it. It really is moving.

Notice Jesus is the focus, he is fighting her addictions, tempations, habits................he's fighting for her life!

He gets the glory NOT the MAN OH GAWD!

love it.

Wow, Mark – that is a powerful production! Amen, Bliss on Jesus getting the glory for the deliverance. And another thing unlike the Athletes of the Spirit video that pitted the man-o-gawd against wrong seed, this production highlights the spiritual battle experienced within.

I actually shuddered for a second at the climax of the production when Jesus was embattled with everything that sought to destroy her life. It reminded me of one of the darkest moments of my life. I was around 20 years old – in the middle of having a very bad acid trip – when a simple life-altering prayer came to my lips "Jesus Christ help me." Whenever I thought back on that day I would wonder what possessed me to say that [oh, the freedom to use "possessed" in a sentence :biglaugh: ]. Seeing this production has me wondering now how much Christ tugs on our heartstrings.

Somebody sent me this a while back and my first thought was, a more honest representation of Athletes of the Spirit.

What I didn't like about it was that when the girl looks to him after she has played with the gun and as she tries to get back to him, "Jesus" stands helplessly messing about on the sidelines waving. It isn't till quite late on that he actually kicks into the fray and beats off all the baddies. He's not with her in her initial struggles to get away despite her keeping reaching back out to him.

Nonetheless, it's short, to the point, and keeps the focus very definitely in the right direction not on the pseudo-savior.

What I didn't like about it was that when the girl looks to him after she has played with the gun and as she tries to get back to him, "Jesus" stands helplessly messing about on the sidelines waving. It isn't till quite late on that he actually kicks into the fray and beats off all the baddies. He's not with her in her initial struggles to get away despite her keeping reaching back out to him.

That's what I thought at first, too. But when I watched it again, I noticed that he is waving and trying to get her attention BEFORE that, while she is being enticed by the worldly stuff, but when she drops the gun and reaches out toward him, he is in a "tug of war" stance and PULLING her toward him; and then he jumps in and fully blocks them at the climax. He's in there "pulling" for us more than we know!

Edited by Mark Clarke