GreaseSpot Cafe

Maxx the wonder dog

Watered Garden

Our red and white cocker spaniel, Maxx, registered name Michael's Smart Maxwell, is 16 years old. He has lived in three states with us. We got him in North Carolina as a 7 week old pup. He was supposed to be our son's dog, but decided early on to be Mr. Garden's dog. An employee of the plant where my husband was a supervisor once remarked about seeing Mr. Garden in his pickup truck and a cocker spaniel seemed to be driving it. They were always together.

When we went into the FWC, we gave Maxx to a couple in our fellowship. The man loved him dearly, but the wife noticed she was seeing the occasional dog hair, and when we left FWC and moved to Washington, Maxx was shipped to us. We were living in an apartment complex at the time, and the evening Mr. Garden brought him back from Sea-Tac, we put him on his leash and took him for a walk, and he put his little nose to the ground and back-tracked us unerringly to his new home.

Whle we lived there his back went out and he was in pain for a while, but a great vet saved him and got him going again. People didn't know he was a cocker spaniel, as red-and-whites are not terribly common, and would ask his breed. I always told them he was a Rottweiller working undercover. Maxx agreed completely.

He was the perfect dog for our rambuncious son, putting up with a certain amount of teasing, then explaining his objections with a snap of his teeth. He has kept my feet warm on winter nights for 16 winters now. He has never gotten in a fight with another dog or even snapped in anything but self-defense.

However, all good things must end, it seems, and Maxx is failing badly. He is totally blind and nearly totally deaf. Of late, he has has mostly lost his appetite, and what little we can get him to eat does not seem to digest well. He has probably lost 10 pounds and is skin and bones. He has recently developed a bad eye infection that daily has to be cleaned, and his eyes are crusted over completely with green and yellow pus.

We have made the decision to have him put down. Probably soon, as we don't want our grandson to see him like this. He can barely walk, just totters around, and sleeps 90% of the time. His nose seems to be getting some kind of an infection and crusting in it also.

I know it's the intelligent decision to make. His has no quality of life. His heart is enlarged and slams against his ribs and he is just falling apart. He can't eat, and his good little nose doesn't even work well any more. I know it's the right thing to do. But emotionally, I'm just a basket case. I insist on my husband going with me. We will probably take him in tomorrow or Wednesday, depending on when my favorite of our two vets is there.

Perhaps I should have put this on the Prayer thread. I would like prayer for all of us as we experience this loss, especially my precious grandson, who says Maxx is his best friend. In time we will get a puppy, after our trip abroad next spring. But it's gonna be weird not having Maxx to trip over.

Thanks,

WG

WG,

We've been through this very difficult time many times here. We used to have Cockers, too. Here's a post I made to Abigail last year and then. of course, its time to post Rainbow Bridge again. I *KNOW* how painful this is WG.. Read the Rainbow Bridge HERE! and then read my post below..

These threads about our pets always pull at my heart strings. Carol and I had two Cocker Spaniels that we lost if that's the right word. Carol had gotten Abby shortly before we started dating. She was full of vim and vigor as a puppy. We got married and Abbie was jealous of me, I think. She slept at the foot of our bed and seemed to resent me at first but we bred her with a championship Cocker and kept the "pick of the litter"... and we named her Lady.. after the "Lady" in Lady And The Tramp.

So we had Abby and Lady even before we had our children.. and our children grew up not knowing life without there being an Abby and Lady to love on and pet. But they both grew old and finally one day I had to take Abby in to have her put to sleep. She was no longer able to walk because of paralysis in her hind quarters which meant she couldn't get up to go to the bathroom. I didn't mind cleaning her up every day but I could tell... and I know this might seem ridiculous to some... that it bothered HER that I had to do it for her. She was old and paralyzed. I had to take her to the vet for the very last time.

I carried her out to the car in my arms since she really couldn't walk and placed her on the front seat where she loved to ride. She LOVED going for a ride in the car. So I drove around a bit.. taking the long way to the vet all the while rubbing her head and telling her how much I loved her. You all can't imagine how tough that was for me knowing it was a one way trip for Abby. That I would never again have the pleasure of doting on my adorable little dog. Did she somehow know that this was her last ride in her life? In the past she knew that we took her to the vet when she was sick and then when she went home she was better. Did she think we were taking her to the vet for her to get better? My heart was breaking but I wasn't going to show it to Abby. No, I was petting her and talking to her like it was old times and she was just going to get shots and some medicine. I was going to make sure that her last hours on Earth were happy ones.

Gawd, I can't get through this, Abigail. Its too painful still. Let me just say that you are right to be concerned about the quality of life issues. We have to be able to do this as the last caring act for our loved pets.

sudo

Thanks, Sudo.

We do have another dog, a yellow Lab who is 14 (obviously we take good care of our dogs). She has arthritis in her back legs and spine, and may not make it through the winter. She is quite spoiled by us running to help her get up at her every bark, but I really don't mind all that much, except at 2:30 in the morning, when she wants to go from the master bedroom to her bed in the laundry room.

We are debating, when they house is dogless and boring and way too quiet, whether to get another Lab or another cocker. My vote is for a cocker foir several reason. They don't shed like a lab. They are smaller, and we want to travel and it seems all the nicer places to stay say "small dogs only." They don't take as much space on the bed and keep your feet warm on cold nights (which my husband of 30 years STILL refuses to do). They are great with kids. They do require a bit of grooming. I used to brush Maxx every morning and he would actually go to sleep in my lap. We have a groomer in our tiny town, but I've been afraid this summer to take Maxx in; I'm afraid he would just keel over and die on the spot.

There is a breeder not too far from here. I think I will check them out personally one of these days.

I still don't know about doggie heaven. I sure hope so, and I'll be glad to scoop the streets of gold if Maxx and Brandy and Sophie are there with me.

WG

Our chocolate lab, Hershey, had a tumor in the roof of his mouth 2 1/2 years ago. When his symptoms starting getting to the point his life wasn't good anymore, we had to make the decision to put him down. It is a hard decision to make, but I think letting him go to a place of no pain was more loving even though I would miss him. I still miss him today, but I don't regret my decision.

My husband made a wonderful tribute to Hershey with a great picture of him rolling his back in the grass. He had the picture blown up, mounted on lovely matting and put both of his collar tags on either side of the picture. It is a wonderful way to remember him and how much he loved to be in the grass.

(((((Maxx, WG, and Family)))))

Well I got up this morning and Maxx seems somewhat better. He didn't want his eyes cleaned out, which of course we did anyway, and he ate a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats. I am going to see if I can't take him to the vet today or tomorrow. I think he deserves a small reprieve. He has been such a great dog. Twenty-five pounds of protective, snarling fluff that adored any child within reach, especially the small, toddling ones that poke at eyes and pull at ears, he would patiently endure until he could gracefully escape.

Hopefully a few more good times for him. We'll see what the vet says.

WG

My heart goes out to you and Mr. Garden, and of course, Maxx. I'm sure you'll know when it's time and I'm glad that today doesn't feel like it. I've had to take 2 dogs for their last car rides myself and as tough as it is to physically do, there's a certain peacefulness to knowing it's the most loving thing for them to let them go when it's time. My prayers are with you.

I am going to take him to our vet this afternoon and see if there is anything she can suggest regarding feeding him, getting rid of the eye infection, which does seem better, etc. We don't want this to go on too long. I really don't want my grandson to see him suffering. Right now Maxx just sleeps most of the time.

WG

I took Maxx to the vet and the news is not good. She first pointed out jaundice in the whites of his eyes that indicates liver problems, scum on his gums and teeth that indicates renal failure. She then palpated a big, big mass in his abdomen, apparently a liver cancer. Maxx has gone from 30 lb, a bit chubby, to 21 lb, in about three weeks. She said he will not last the week.

I love my vet. She is one compassionate, skilled woman. I have an appointment with her for Maxx to be put down Thursday at 12:15. I have to go to work after that. This is probably good for me, as long as they don't have me passing out samples of dog food or Nyla bones or tennis balls.

We lived in the Seattle area when Ken Griffey, Jr. played for the Mariners. We used to roll a tennis ball to Maxx along the floor and he would look at it and take his furry paw and bat it back to us. We could get a run of this going several times. We would tell him, "Play ball, Junior," and he knew just what to do. He was always so proud of himself when he had just been clipped and would strut to the car from the groomer's with his head in the air.

We are not getting another dog until our lab is gone also, but I have told Mr. Garden we need another cocker spaniel. Maxx has just been an incredible dog. I wish I could post a picture but our scanner died an untimely death a few months back.

B. O'N, if you read this, I'm thankful you were there to love Maxx too.

WG

WG, I'm so sorry about Maxx, but I know you'll be comforted when you remember all the ways you made him feel special and safe and comfortable and loved. You're doing what's best for him, even though it's so difficult.

You and your family (both the two-legged and four-legged ones) are in my prayers.

<H1 align=justify> </H1><H1 align=center> </H1><H1 align=center>A Dog's Prayer</H1>Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

This helped me when we had to put down our oldest dog. I hope it helps you too.

There are more poems at petloss.com